The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for reference...

Despite strong NE winds and coloured waters, the Squid have started to establish throughout oct thus far.

Last weeks bigger tides in coloured water along the east coast saw more Squid than Cuttles for me personally but, I had one 'really big' cuttle that was impossible to lift up the wall at one east coast mark.

It was reported that multiple eg'ers were landing upwards of 12 decent Squid on those better tides despite rough conditions.

They seem VERY aggressive.

Last night in a fairly sporadic session I had 1 nice one followed up by a MUCH BIGGER Ika that grabbed the hooked Squid firmly across it's back after attacking it multiple times.

Just a few casts later and again, another nice Ika. Well over the Kilo now as they are getting bigger. I identified these as 'Loligo Forbesi' or Veined Squid.

I released both Ika's.

I returned to the motor to get my modified net but it was 45 minutes before they came back.

I took 3 more but I'm sure 2 of them were of the different species Loligo Vulgaris or 'Common European Squid'.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I watched a discovery documentary ages ago now about giant squid. Somewhere or other, the fishermen were commercially catching Humbolt squid. Huge muvvers in anyones book.
After a while of fishing, the still free swimming members of the shoal would attack any hooked squid and try to kill them. I can only assume that (if we accept these creatures for the very intelligent animals that they are) they rapidly learn to spot a distressed squid and go in for the kill, themselves. That way, they get the food, maybe.
I would imagine that if you take "man" away from the squids life cycle, then the only times they would normally encounter a distressed shoal member is when its under attack and being eaten by a much larger fish / animal and the amount of time involved that teh squid is "transmitting" its distress, is probably only fractions of a second.
Now, bring back "man" and his Egiing and all of a sudden you have a squid, in distress, for a hell of a lot longer period of time. During which, the neighbour of the squid cotton on to the fact that a potential meal is about to take place and that if they dont act quickly, then it will be "taken away".

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to agree with that.

I've seen TV and youtube stuff related to this behaviour.
A bit like some internet forums out there... LOL

Been Eging a few times since with mixed results.
However, tides have been small.

Definite signs though that we have been fishing too big an Egi for years in the classic size #4.0

I get most of my Squid in the 2.5 -- 3.5 range.

Pink being the favoured colour by night.

Neutral and blue hues in daylight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts