The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.illex.fr/en/reference/195-220-h-vale-tudo.122.html

The local shop has just started to stock Illex rods. I am going in there this week with my eye on the rod in the link above. The Vale Tudo H.

I am after a rod for big lures in big tide but still with some sensitivity to bounce bottom and feel what's going on.

Does anyone have experience in Illex rods. Pretty much all I can find is in French.

My eyes have been opened as to what ground we have here to fish in and how it can be fished.

Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Andy,

Just translated the page and this is the Rod Description, Illex are doing some cracking gear, seen thier stuff in Nantes. I think **** might be getting an account with them !

Vale Tudo rods are versatile all-rounders supplied with two handles. A short handle with 3 counterbalance rings is perfect for working plugs through the water and a longer, ergonomic handle ideal for metal jigs and vertical fishing. Two handles giving Vale Tudo rods two distinctly different fishing actions on the same rod!

Caractéristiques :
■Long. : 190/220 cm
■Leurre : 10-60 g
■Ligne : 20 lb
■Jig : 180 g
■Encomb. : 165 cm
■Prix : 375 €

·
Registered
326 Posts
Once you've picked that rod up, you probably wont be putting back in the rack! Perfect for what you want to do

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not good!! Can you recall the price Liam? I know Rob said they were very good deals and sure I can convince them to do me a deal if not...

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sort of... More able to handle heavy stuff. i couldn't make bottom with a 14g head which is the biggest I had and with a big SP the weight adds up...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Oh yea, it does.
People often mistakenly work by just head size.
LRF, well, not really an issue.

Start putting 6 an 7" SP's up on 15g and you can easily go over the ounce.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the exact issue Keith. The bigger SP's, say a 10 inch sluggo, how much does that actually weigh?? Likely close to 30g on it's own at a guess. and then I need 20g or more to get it down there so 50g all in and counting.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Andy, a rigged 9" Sluggo, 2 hooks, and weighted, easily over 30g.
Ritchie handled his first 'mans' plastic today. We dare not show him the shad Jelly. LOL.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Think it was about £250, just under 7ft with one handle and just over with the other. If you want something a bit longer the Avalanche (8ft) looks perfect for shore fishing with the same casting weight range as the Vale Tudo. The 7ft will be easier to work the lures with but the Avalanche would be better in rough conditions.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wondered if they would have that one (Avalanche) when i saw it on their site but didn't know they had one in. it's quite simply put about handling the heavier lures but being able to feel a bite, I am used to fishing light hard lures and the rods I have simply can't handle the extra weight of a leadhead when fishing with SP's. I can't even use some of the lures I have without fear of snapping my rod. And No, I can't just go get a cheap rod which casts to 100g!!!

no use using my bass rod to chuck a big lump of metal out as I won't be able to feel a thing!!

Now what was the number of Tackle Tarts Anon again??

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Noooo...

Search for "Lure" on that site and it comes up with Heroin, cocaine and Anabolic Steroids. If that's what you have to take to get out of the lure habit then I best stick with the lures!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just want to share my thoughts on the illex rods. I own the Avalanche 250, the Lightningbolt 2.10 and the Estuary 270. But regarding the Avalanche, this is a powerfull rod and i personally use it for offshore wreckfishing for cod and bass. The rod easily handles weights up to 150 gr. with a stunning sensitivity even at depts of 50 meters. But this rod can take so much more, for example in norway i fished 250 gr. jigs with it in depts over 100 meters! And you could still feel everything that happend down there perfectly. Although the tip of the rod will bend a bit with those weights ;-)

The Avalanche is a rod with a fast action and sensitive tip. The first section of the rod will bend quite easy and then it gets a lot tougher with the maximum power of the rod in de lower section. And you can seriously horse pretty big fish in with this rod.

Personally i think the Avalanche is one of the best rods for offshore fishing with heavier jigs on wrecks and other structures. It just haves a great sensitivity and a really nice action.

And if youre looking for a lighter version there is also the Illex Corsaire 250 MH

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I just "popped in" to the tackle shop and came out having spent around £350... Whoops!! The rod itself was £279 which seems pretty good, the RRP is 375 Euro.

Got the Vale Tudo H, which looked very pretty. It is quite a stiff rod with not a huge deal of flex in the tip section, I thought it would be more tippy like the Tenryu Bulldog but I am sure they know what they are doing so I will go have a fling with a 10g lure (bottom end apparently) and also try some top end stuff at 60g. I got a few lures as well including some of which were actually 70g softies, sure it will be OK if I take it easy on the casting.

The rod is a long tip section (6ft approx) and a short handle (about 1ft), plus a longer handle (1.5ft)

Short handle is supposed to be for general plugging work and the long handle for jigging. Best I stick a reel on it tonight and go throw some lures about to see what it can do!!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Crikey, thats some heavy duty set up you have there Andy! I am looking forward to your reports of the sessions you will be using the monster plastics. Are you targeting Bass, with the off chance of a Porgy?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts