The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have only owned this rod a little while and have broken it:shock:... Don't panic, it's not that bad!!:-o

The shorter butt section (for casting lures) has a little screw on thing at the end to hold some balance weights in place. Somehow I have managed to bend the screw thread in there and it now doesn't do up tight.

I will obviously pop back to the shop and see what they can order to fix it (i.e. new 2 inches of butt with screw thread or at worst new butt section).

I don't think many people are using rods like this but can anyone tell me how I might have done this (most likely car boot or leaned on it but I don't remember doing either) and more important, how did it happen so easy without me even noticing?? I would expect more from a rod worth £300 as in I would expect to notice bending it like that.

We'll soon be finding out what Illex after sales service is like and i'll let you know...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about your rod. But don't worry to much, my personal experience with the aftersale off illex is really good. A mate broke the tip of his 240 Navigator when we where in Norway. It was really stupid how it happens, it was his own fault hehe. But when we where back in Holland, we had a brand new rodsection in about 3 weeks.

It just takes some time but i think they will replace the butt section for you. The only thing is why it takes a bit longer is that the store where you bought it, have to "order" the new section by illex. I think you don't have to worrie much.

ps, how do you like rod btw?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought they would be fine, just sent a message to the shop, see if he picks it up before Monday. Just not sure how I did it...

The rod seems good, very light, casts very well, have cast weights as low as 20g and it was fine though the sensitivity on a SP that small isn't wonderful. BUT, that's because I have been using a 2-10g rod over the winter and am used to amazing detection, it was fine for the rockie yesterday.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
please keep us informed re: this issue Andy.

Illex do some cracking gear and a backup service is important to me.
Often, dealers get the brunt of bad backup from wholesalers or manufacturers which sort of isn't fair really.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with the dealer and they are going to have a look see if they can do anything before contacting Illex. He did say that they are a mare to deal with and don;t always return calls so we will see.

I was planning to drop the butt section to the shop at lunchtime.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Andy you have touched on a very true subject in your post, I too find it hard to now use a "normal" rod for soft lure work, because like you say after using solid tipped and ULF style rods any other rod just seems dead in the hand, its a dick!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what you mean **** and the heavy half way house is the Abu Rocksweeper. Can feel what's going on with the 7g bachi and Giant Xlayer pretty well (not as well but adequetly enough to not warrant worrying about taking the HRF rod just in case they are finisky).

The Vale Tudo was never intended for doing the light stuff. More like 40g odd combined weight of head and softie which is much more realistic and you can feel what's going on. Would prefer the tip a little softer but hey, can't have it all.

On topic, took the butt section in yesterday and after some inspection it looks like it may be as simple as re-threading the screw thread which had a deadspot on it from where it was bent and I tried to tighten it up so they will try and fix that by re-threading it first.

The issue I understand with Illex is that they are all french speaking only other than one chap and looks like he's on holiday at the moment o they are not getting the quick response. Let's wait and see.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on my Vale Tudo problem...

Basically I have knackered the screw thread which attached the little butt thingy onto the end of the butt section which holds the balance weights in place.

Illex have quoted €111 for a new short butt section :shock::shock:

The guys in my local shop though are working on a bodge to try and replace the worn down screw thread with another and insert it into the small butt cap thingy. If that works then great, if not I will use the rod without all the balance weights as I will be able to get past the flat spot on the thread and tighen it down properly. Alternatively I can epoxy it in place but it makes the rod less saleable should I decide to get rid in the future.

I'm certainly not paying €111 for a new butt section, even though it is my own fault. It's certainly NOT any fault of the rod or Illex. Let's hope the guys in the shop can bodge it better and replace the worn thread somehow.

Be more careful with top end rods people... Car boots and rod tips are well known not to mix but I can confirm that van boots and rod butts don't mix either!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's about time these expensive tackle manufacturers took a leaf out of the fly fishing manufacturers book when it comes to service and warranty.

Companies like Orvis, sage, hardy etc.... all offer excellent warranties that cover acidental damage, orvis in particular offer outstanding service. The one thing that has annoyed me whilst getting more into this aspect of fishing is the lack of comparable service.

In most cases if you break a fly rod you can send it off with a fee of about £30 and the manufacturer will either replace the section, or if it's an old model they no longer stock they'll replace it entirely with a rod of equal or more value.

I'm after a light weight spinning rod to go with my Symetre 750 FI and i'm more and more tempted to buy an orvis one just because of the warranty.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link Alex. Might have a look round see what I can find. The insert things look a bit like what I have.

Have to agree that I would expect better service from the rod company for a rod near £300 even if it is my own fault. Cannot fault the local shop at all.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Hmm...

The picture isn't bright is it Andy.
Obviously very good rods backed up by crap after sales.

I know a really famous British maker who suffers from that too. What a shame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
could you not re tap the screw thread , not that i know how to do this but when we need custom screws at work the lads seem to be able to make them

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rob H tried it Saus but the male part (if that's what you call it??) had too large a flat spot. He's seeing if he can replace it but the old one is glued somehow into the little butt cap thing. It's only a small problem but I would have liked to see better service from Illex. I don't see how hard it can be to have just a replacement butt cap and thread for sale rather than a whole butt section. That's life though eh!!

The rod itself is superb. Can't fault it in use.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah that is a pain.
Like you said i would expect better for the money shelled out, thats the good thing with the red rods **** is normally spot on with any issues with Mrfish bought tenryu's.
I'm clutching at straws here. but if you bored out the original thread,replace the same size thread for the butt cap, not ideal but thats all i got (no pun intended)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the Tenryu's hadn't gone up in price that extra £100 and weren't red I might have had one. But hey, I like to take a punt!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
nothing wrong with illex mate, in fact i have one on lay away at *****, the only thing that really stands out at the moment seems to be the after service

1 - 18 of 18 Posts