The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Ian, I have (amoungst many others!) a Quantum Cabo. Just a shade heavier than the general Shimano/Daiwas etc but a pretty decent reel I am very pleased with. Bassmasters and Mr Fish do them plus I am sure many others do. I cant remember the exact price but around the £170.00 mark.

Reactions: Ianbatt

·
Banned
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
So many to choose from, give us an idea of the budget and I'm sure people will help out with some suitable suggestions.

One thing though, if you go the Daiwa route you'll probably want to look at 3000 size reels as the 4000 Daiwa's can be a bit big.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I got a Shimano Rarenium 4000 recently and what impresses me the most, having only used less expensive reels previously, is the line lay. Absolutely superb. Thumbs up from me!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Certate.....................
I have recently bought the 2010 2500R Certate to go on my Injection ..... lovely size reel, and it has the gearing of the bigger 3000 model in the 2500 body. I wouldn't go any bigger than one of these now. However, the size and weight of the reel needs to be balanced with the rod you will use it on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know what everyone else's opinions are on them but I've always had trouble free fishing with my Okuma reels.
My plugging rod has a VS30 on it and I love it. It takes loads of abuse and receives very little (if any) maintenance and just keeps on going.
I really can't recommend them enough, plus you seem to get a lot more for your money than with Shimano.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I rate Okuma reels as very good value for money. I have only used mine for freshwater bait fishing where they have an easy life but good to hear they withstand the rigours of SW plugging!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm actually trialling a new Italian based reel right now in 4000 size.
By alcedo i think.

You know, it's actually pretty damn good and very smooth/lighweight.

4 year guarantee on internals too.

I think...

Under a ton but I have no actual details just yet as I want to really USE the reel before recommending it or not.
However, first impressions are very favourable.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I have a Shimano Stradic FI 4000 and so far it seems top notch, nice weight but with a robust feel and a decent style of handle in the 4000 size. It is a U.S. model (different and from what I can see more robust than the U.K./European Stradic). You don't hear too much about them here as they have only been available in the U.S., but are very popular and respected over there. I imported mine from the states but Orvis in the UK now stock them, if you decide to purchase one just check with Orvis that Shimano U.K. will agree to service them as they may refuse to service U.S. Shimano models. However, if Orvis U.K. are selling then I would have thought that argument would now be moot!

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=06EC

Oh and yes you will probably get lots of different recommendations. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It all has got to do with the budget that you are willing to create for it. This season I am fishing with the new Daiwa Certate 3000, and I am very very pleased with it. In my view it is an excellent reel for plugging for bass. But, there are many more good reels out there; as said it is all about what you can afford/willing to pay. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the stradic fI looks nice. how would it compare to a cormoran blackstar for example. i'm after a new reel to go on a teklon 802 8ft. i think a 4000 size would be too much/ too big? any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
the stradic fI looks nice. how would it compare to a cormoran blackstar for example. i'm after a new reel to go on a teklon 802 8ft. i think a 4000 size would be too much/ too big? any thoughts?
I don't have the Teklon or know about the Cormoran, but I reckon that any of the Shimano 4000 size reels like the F1 should be fine, (although the Rarenium is a lighter reel). I have the 2009 Savage Gear Bushwhacker 8' 6" 15-40g and the 4000 Stradic FI is fine on that. If the reel balancing on the rod is of concern you may also find that one or other of your 'shortlisted' reels feels better balanced on the rod. I suppose that is more of a personal issue and the only way to know for sure is to actually bring the rod with you and try the different reels (or failing that other reels of a similar weight) in store. Although having said that if you are unable to get to a suitable store you could always return an online order if you are unhappy with the balance on your Teklon. The Shimano website provides the actual weight of all of their reels, (the Stradic FI will be on their U.S. website).

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have found the Shimano fc 4000 to be a great reel. I bought it new this year in april use it 4 or 5 times a week and its still going well today. I would buy another if needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts