The Lure Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
If the average person weighs 5kg then perhaps with wader and boots it looks as if it would be close to the max bouyancy which is 7.5 kilos - but also Just seen that they also do a 'heavyweight' version as well. Think im going to test mine out for peace of mind, waters a bit cold now though - do you think mind in my local pool :-D
Your waders & boots would weigh next to nothing in saltwater.

I like the look of these. When my Snowbee auto inflate falls apart I'll probably get one.

Unless people are concerned about the weight of water in their waders when they climb out after falling in, I've never understood the concern about water getting into your waders. Any water in your waders when you fall in weighs nothing - it would be balanced out by the pressure of the water around you:geek::) Maybe someone can explain what the issue is?
I think the issue with full waders (apart from the weight when trying to climb out like you mentioned) is that trying to swim or even undertaking any manouvre with waders full of water must be incredibly difficult. Fortunately I don't have 1st hand experience, but I always wear a wading belt just in case (and why don't GRXi waders come with belt loops so you cant lose the bl**dy thing?)

Discussion starter · #47 · (Edited)
I finally bit the bullet and purchased one of these (at a price I just could not refuse). It looks the business and very functional, however I wouldn't say its the most comfortable of things to actually fish in. The pockets seem to restrict movement a little and find I am twisting awkwardly when reeling. That being said I had a few layers on due to being damn cold and it may just take a bit of getting used to.

How do others find the vest in use? does any one take the foam out and just use it as a vest, except when fishing particularly dangerous locations of course.

Iv had one of these for a year now and I'm really happy with it. Very functional, but it can restrict your movement a little when you are fully kitted out including chest waders underneath etc. I can honestly say that it has got me out of trouble on two separate occasions now. So as far as I'm concerned it has paid for itself twice over!

Have fun and be safe! - don't take risks just cos your wearing a floatie, there isn't a fish in the Sea worth it!

Regards
Si

I finally bit the bullet and purchased one of these (at a price I just could not refuse). It looks the business and very functional, however I wouldn't say its the most comfortable of things to actually fish in. The pockets seem to restrict movement a little and find I am twisting awkwardly when reeling. That being said I had a few layers on due to being damn cold and it may just take a bit of getting used to.

How do others find the vest in use? does any one take the foam out and just use it as a vest, except when fishing particularly dangerous locations of course.
I agree Lee on the restrictive front, all thought the more I have worn it the less noticeable it becomes and having every thing to hand is convenient.
Bought mine as there’s a couple of places I go that can be a rough. I was wearing my kayaking PFD, but limited storage didn’t make it practical.

I think it’s just a case of getting used to it…:???:, although when I first put it on...I still feel a bit like Robocop…:wink:

Stick with it…:)

Thanks John,
Dunno about robocop, I felt like a dinosaur, you know the ones with little poxy bent arms? Its much more comfortable than my Koa pack, apart from when fishing.
Try adjusting the shoulder strap, up and down, that will lower or higher the positioning of the pouches and alter the whole 'feel'.
I know from Kayaking, that as a general rule of thumb, if your PFD is comfy, it’s not on properly...:geek:

Ps, I like the analogy of a T Rex trying to work a Z claw…:wink:

Lee what's the storage capacity of the backpack part like when compared to the Sakura Koa?
Not quite as good to be honest, I could fit a the large snowbee lure box and my TLF ruler in the koa, no chance on the RBB. However the Koa is crap with salt water and the build quality is also crap on the Koa.

I'm with Lee on that. In general the RBB vest has less storage than the Sakura and I preferred the backpart part of the sakura but IMO the puches on the Sakura were more of a hindrance than on the RBB vest which when adjusted to sit high are much better. Ideally though they could have been a bit bigger.

Once on though it is far more comfortable to wear for long periods.

I have had one a while now and tend to only use it if the swell is big with big rouge sets likely. To be honest I find it ok when fishing and set it at a height so I can lean on the right pocket for support. The negatives for me and the reason I use it as little as possible now is that every thing you carry tends to get soaked and that I find it very restrictive when traversing (borderline dangerous) around ledges and rocky outcrops in that it snags easily and prevents you from hugging the rocks.

It may well be that I found it awkward because I was wearing full chesties and 4 layers underneath, if and when the weather gets better, it may be less restictive.
Has anyone used it without the foam in the front? I'm thinking that my usual marks are ok to use it without, where as when I fish off cliffs and the peninsula, the foam will go back in.

There is no doubt it is more comfortable for walking to marks in with my kit, than in the Koa. Lee Jones knows how far I walk in full kit, but the fact is the Koa sucks for that. With the RBB you barely notice your carrying anything.

For anyone thinking of buying though, I would reccomend having a go of one and have a fish or mock fish before deciding whether its for you or not.

I'm about to start my third season with a Koa and one of the straps started to fail soon after I bought it. But it has held out and this year I noticed one of the zips has failed but is still just about usable. But the good thing is you can fit a lot of gear in the pack if you need to and they are fairly inexpensive. So for day long affairs when you need to carry more food and drink and maybe a light jacket the option is there to carry more gear if you need to. Then again there are even cheaper packs out there on e-bay like the Klobba.

Of course the IMA and RBB packs may save your life so are a different product entirely.

I'm about to start my third season with a Koa and one of the straps started to fail soon after I bought it. But it has held out and this year I noticed one of the zips has failed but is still just about usable. But the good thing is you can fit a lot of gear in the pack if you need to and they are fairly inexpensive. So for day long affairs when you need to carry more food and drink and maybe a light jacket the option is there to carry more gear if you need to. Then again there are even cheaper packs out there on e-bay like the Klobba.

Of course the IMA and RBB packs may save your life so are a different product entirely.
Good going, mines shagged after one season.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.