The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't regularly buy items from overseas, but I just wondered how many of you are are getting a bill for import tax or duty???
Over here now all items posted from overseas (including the Channel Islands) are put through an X-ray machine to stop drugs, firearms, products made from endangered species etc etc being brought in through the postal system, couriers etc. And they seem to be tightening up on import duty. :-(

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I used to get away without having to pay quite often. Rarely happens any more though. Even small orders have been getting charged recently. Haven't ordered from abroad for a few months now though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It´s not so much the X-ray that worries me… more the stated amount on the customs declaration form… in general, most Japanese webshops are quite willing to state a lower amount (just ask), and I hardly ever get billed.

Quite different with US sellers… must be the threat of the lethal injection (LOL).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Only ever had to pay duty on things from G.Loomis in the U.S.

Never paid it on things from Japan or Singapore and never needed to ask about a lower price from anywhere, although I believe it's the buyer who is at fault if anyone gets caught with a dubious delivery

·
Registered
362 Posts
Have just had email to say that my reel from Tackle Warehouse in US is in the air at this very moment, so i should be able to let you know sometime soon.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I've been caught sometimes, and other times items have sailed through. Bit of a 'luck of the draw' scenario i rekon.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only ever had an import tax bill from DHL the carriers & I received this about eight weeks after they had delivered a camera which had come from Hong Kong.
So as I already had the camera the bill was filed away never to be seen again. My mate has just bought a camera lens from Hong Kong & they wouldn't deliver it until he paid the import duty, which was a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Nigel i have just bought a boga from the us and had to pay £18 before the item could be released from cusloms and delivered.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Nigel i have just bought a boga from the us and had to pay £18 before the item could be released from customs and delivered.
Hmmmm I think that everyone should be aware that this is going to become more frequent as the Government try & claw in as much cash as possible.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just received my reel from USA.

NO DUTY!!

also, really impressed with speed of delivery from Tackle Warehouse.
Order Placed 10:30 16th June, Delivered am 18th June!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Haha, nice one mate! Pleased with the reel? Very lucky. Don't think I've ever avoided it when ordering from the US.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Just received my reel from USA.

NO DUTY!!

also, really impressed with speed of delivery from Tackle Warehouse.
Order Placed 10:30 16th June, Delivered am 18th June!!
When i tried to order from them recently, they wanted shed-loads of personal details before they would ship (photocopies of ID etc . . . ). Did you need to do all of that ?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It can't just be a lottery whether you pay import duty or not. Surely there must be some system to it all????

·
Registered
96 Posts
When i tried to order from them recently, they wanted shed-loads of personal details before they would ship (photocopies of ID etc . . . ). Did you need to do all of that ?
Use Paypal instead of your creditcard when shopping Tackle Warehouse and avoid this hassle...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, they asked for all of my details, and fortunately i had it all on me. Quick scan & email back and order cleared.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Here's the rules.....

Taken from: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P22_2021

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

* Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters. See paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.
* If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, and which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.
* Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the Customs Helpline for further information.

Simples..

·
Registered
362 Posts
And just when I thought it was all groovy, got an invoice today from UPS for £28 !
Hey ho.
I'll call them tomorrow and have a moan, but in all probability will just end up paying it. Some you win... Etc.
Still pretty happy that I got good value on the reel though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts