The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... they started building an outer breakwater in Port Erin. The idea was that many more ferries would be able to land there, they even built a railway line so that the expected hordes of Victorian visitors didn't have to walk the 1/2 mile into the village.
Anyway, in 1884 there was a very severe storm and the breakwater was destroyed and we were left with what we have today:

This photo was taken the day before at low tide.
This was the venue for a couple of hours fishing for myself and Daws. I whipped my rigged rod out of my carry case eager to try out my new rod. I really rated my old Firefly but the ULX is a big step up. I don't know about"fast/slow/tippy actions", all I know is this rod feels much more "quality".
I tied on a 3g jighead a stuck on a new-to-me lure, a Savage Gear Dying Minnow (the top one). Flicked it out over the blocks to retrieve back over them, as soon as the lure hit the water I felt what I thought was the kelp snagging, then the kelp started swimming away so I set the hook - fish on! A lively scrap was had, trying to steer it away from danger and the result was this:

A Callig of about 3lb, new rod first cast, let's hope it's an omen!!!

We fished on for an hour when I took another 4 Callig and Daws ("my sandeels are too big!" :shock:) caught nothing, to his absolute disgust. All the fish were about the same size.

Then the divers came for a night dive with their big shiny lights, we tried to scare them them off by telling them about the 6ft Conger Daws had pulled out last week but they weren't having it. We gave in and went home, me on a high having christened my new rod in fine style, Daws with his tail between his legs.

Lures 5 - 0 Bait :-D

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
That's one ugly looking mother Tim.

Pretty fish though ;-)

Pleased that you are back on the light gear again

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking little report there Tim :clap: :clap:. Those Callig must have gone very very well on the new light rod !!!! :D

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Tim

Have you had stuff from Fishing Mart & if so what is the postage cost & delivery time like????

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Tim, nice work fella. Fancy christening it first chuck?! Wouldn't mind seeing if my Firefly could cope with a 3lb pollack - maybe have to try this w/e at Weymouth...?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cracking little report there Tim :clap: :clap:. Those Callig must have gone very very well on the new light rod !!!! :D
They do Si! it's a bit of a nightmare steering them round the concrete blocks down there but fun, fun, fun!

Tim

Have you had stuff from Fishing Mart & if so what is the postage cost & delivery time like????
I've had 3 or 4 packages from Fishing-Mart Nige. You can't get stuff couriered to IoM but they post it and that was £10 last time for a box of many bits and pieces. The paying system is a bit odd, you click to use Paypal and they send you a request to Paypal them the next day, delivery is about 5 days.

Tim, nice work fella. Fancy christening it first chuck?! Wouldn't mind seeing if my Firefly could cope with a 3lb pollack - maybe have to try this w/e at Weymouth...?
Well chuffed Tim! The Firefly will handle a 3lb Callig, a bit tricky round features, but doable.

It's an od thing, the Firefly is rated 3g - 12g and the ULX 1g - 9g but the ULX feels much the sturdier of the two, it felt like it might struggle on a 1g head, didn't try it t'other night but I will...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts