The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thinking of treating myself after xmas to a new rod and reel for hrf and bass which is the best all rounder for this the injection or the supermix?
Fishing both sp's and hard plastics. Especially for bass and wrasse. Opting for a new rarenium 4000 to go with the rod. Due to depth and current where i fish and very snaggu ground using jig heads on occassion to 15 grams+.

Would appreciate veiws from people who have used the rods for differing methods and there capabilities. Always a little worried that the injection is too light?;-)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mike

I have an Inj and love it very light and suits alot of the fishing I do i couldnt fault it its very light but i have paired mine with a 3000 twinpower the balance feels better. Have you looked at the Super Distance I also have one and it's a beaut with a 4000 reel nice tip with good reserve power

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Mike, i have the Injection & the Supermix 240. For the scenario you describe, it's an easy decision. Injection.

Why . . . . :?:

Simply, because you talk about using it for HRF.

For HRF (in my experience), we are talking about fishing snaggy ground, usually at short range, for Bass / Wrasse. The Injection is rated at 5 - 28gms, and the Supermix 240 at 10 - 60gms. In my opinion, the Injection is at it's best using Jig Heads of 5g to 10g (7g is lovely). The Supermix will do weights in this category, but not with anywhere near the same feel as the Injection.

For me, the Injection is a magnificient rod for using soft plastic, and for using the lighter-end of hard plastic. Whereas my Supermix is a rod for Hard Plastic (inc heavy sinking lures), & is capable of handling soft plastics (esp with 10g Jig Heads +). So, if we're talking HRF, it's the Injection everytime.

As for your concerns about the Injection being too light - no chance !!! It's a ridiculous rod, which is far more versatile than you'd think.

Ultimately, there is no need to buy one of these rods without trying it. Loads of guys have this kit, so go sniff-out someone who has one, and try before you buy !!! Nath & his Cornish mob, just about all have the Injection.

They are 'completely' different rods. So you need to be clear on this before parting with that sort of money.

I have a 3000 Rarenium on my Injection, & a 4000 Rarenium on my Supermix.

Happy to expand on this if you require further info :D. Also, if you would find it helpful to chat about it, PM me & i'm happy to exchange numbers & talk about it over the phone. Up to you.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I would go for the 'Injection' every time,as Simon says when you want a tool for HRF styles and the hard stuff you would be spot on for everything.
The only thing that stops me investing in one is the transportation issues etc.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just the sort of replies i was hoping for, Si i maywell take you up on that offer mte going to pop down to bens after xmas is over and have a play with an injection and supermix. So you reckon pair the "Inj with a 3000 reel? Does the rarenium have a spare spool with it?
Back into new job today so i may well treat myself to a couple of new rods between now and july, so injection, supermix and violente 0.8 - 8 grams rods are definately on the cards with new reels.
Though looks like the first purchase is going to be a injection in january have to pop on down to ben and do a session with him for a proper test out and treat myself.
Thanks again for all of the great replies there fella's as always much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh aye mate, i have a plan though a friend from up country is driving through tomorow so he is popping in before i go to work and bringing his rods with him the ultimate tackle tart. he has all the red rods i have been looking at. And a dam site more aside from them. Just to confuse me he mentioned his spare rods for messing around so i will be meeting up sometime this week and playing with around 10 differing rods to see what the feels are like.
He summed it up nicely though, last year when salmon fishing the tweed with him i used his loomis and hardy rods, and didnt like the action on the spey rods, changed to a Bloke rod and loved it just suited me though 1/3 of the price.
so i get to see what suits me never know i may find i prefer a different rod to what i have looked at thus far you never know i shall report soo as i have a response to them.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Mike, I have a Lucky Craft ESG11 3 -23 g and a Supermix. Both are superb rods but are different beasts.

Like Paul I really rate the LC, it is my current favourite rod and is a delight to use with SP's giving great sensitivity and feel. It also handles most of the typical plugs we get but would begin to struggle with heavier plugs, big seas or into the wind. Being a lighter rod, it would aslo struggle to bully a wrasse out of the rocks whereas the SM would be much better suited to that. The Mix is a great rod and in heavier winds or when a bit of bullying is likely to be needed it would be my choice. It does work with SP's as long as you dont go too light but needless to say, its not quite as sensitive.

Both are excellent rods but are aimed at slightly differnt roles so it really depends on whether sensitivity or muscle is the top priority. Its a shame there isnt an imminent bumble as you could have had a waggle with both!

Reactions: Mike Sullivan

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that andrew, i get to play with the supermix and injection tomorow all being well and a few others, your comments have been echoed by a friend thats bringing rods down with him.
I know he has certain rods he picks up as choice for lrf. hrf and bass / pike ect.
So i shall get a chance to try the feel of differing rods in different price brackets aswell so all being well i should have a good idea by the end of the week what suits me more.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
No problem Mike, its always good to get a feel first! :-o

I was going to go for an Injection but the LC came up secondhand from a Forum member and hence was significantly cheaper. I think the LC and Injection are very much aimed at the same market and next time I am out with anyone whos got one, I would be interested to have a few casts to see how it comapres to the LC. Good luck and let us know what you go for.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hello Mike

I wouldn't say the Injection is "too light" its great to fish with if you like "feel". I was having a chat with Nathan who was putting some big heavy lures on his. Personally for me its a "short rod".

I have a RLSD which is a bit longer than the Injection and for me the RLSD is my general purpose lure rod if I can old take one on a trip.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Mike I bought the first Injection imported by Mr Fish (I think) and knew the minute I picked it up it was the rod for me. I bought it there and then and I haven't regretted it for a second. Great balance of sensitivity and power. I use a Rarenium 3000 on it.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Hi Mike, dont forget to consider casting distance too. If it's pure HRF you're going for then casting distance probably isn't an issue, but if you want to use it for more general bassing too, maybe a longer rod might be a better compromise?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Mike,

I think Simon has summed up the two rods. I have fished with both rods and both are great. BEWARE. The injection breaks down from the butt section so you end up with a very long rod to transport which can be a pain in the arse .

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Mike i had the sm 240 the rb 270 and the inj imho the inj is by far the best rod of the 3. It easily handles the 24gm savage sandeel, Patchenko 11 and jigheads down to 4gm without any problems. The only fault i can see is the transport issue with it being of 2 unequal length sections.I use the cabo 30 and the twinpower 4000 on it and it feels great with both. If you go for the inj i am sure you wont regret it. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I suggest you buy both ! !! Come on its Christmas !

I have both and like them for different reasons. Although I prefer the injection. if i planned on owning just one then I would go for the Super mix 240. The day you hook the fish of your dreams in a moderate swell and need to bully that 13 pounder away from a snag your going to want the SM 240 .The Injection feels a bit lght and short for some situations . Its a stunning rod for those light lures and yes the SM240 Wont be as sweet to fsh with. Its all a trade off.

Im using 240 on the shore for general fishing and Injection from the boat or in tame controlled shore conditions.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts