The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have experience of specific fishing tackle insurance?

My home insurance have confirmed they only cover stolen items, not any broken or lost at sea!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Marc, my experience is that you can specify sporting equipment on most household policies for a small additional premium which covers loss or breakage. You would need to look at the excess on the policy to decide if it is worthwhile. I think they tend to have things like golf clubs in mind, but fishing tackle should be feasible.

Reactions: Marc Westwood

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'll echo what Tim has mentioned......all my rods are as listed items and didn't cost any extra on the premium:D But do check out your excess, but then £50 is cheap for a new Megabass or Tenryu :D
:D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Phone call two to ins company, my home insurance have said they will not insure fishing equipment for any claim apart from theft.

Despite asking them for an all risks additional premium quote.

More searching of the web

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Marc,
Sorry to contradict but I added mine to the house insurance as all risk, that covers accidental damage, loss and theft. Had one claim for 2 Century beach casters broken by the hatch of my estate closing on them. Don't forget though that these have to be in their own "all risk" category for sporting equipment not general contents mate. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marc,
Sorry to contradict but I added mine to the house insurance as all risk, that covers accidental damage, loss and theft. Had one claim for 2 Century beach casters broken by the hatch of my estate closing on them. Don't forget though that these have to be in their own "all risk" category for sporting equipment not general contents mate. Hope this helps.
Thanks Trev,

I will phone them again, I sometimes think its who you get through to in the call centre that makes the difference.

My wife has spoken to them twice asking for the items to be added as additional in all risk but not got anywhere.

Marc

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Easy to solve..... tell them you are cancelling your insurance to go with some one else....that should make them move.......:-D:-D

·
Registered
323 Posts
over here you can add fishing rods n reels on to marine ins or house hold but if you are yousing the iteam and say it went over the side boat /cliff you can not claim
stand on it slam it in the door yes you can my ex freind stood on my ELDORADO SALTIGA ROD and they paid up no problem just be careful and ask about" if you where yousing the rod and dropped it " if you think about it they are asking to be lied to but who would do such a thing?????????

·
Registered
268 Posts
Marc, I used to have my fishing gear covered as an optional extra, so to speak, on the household insurance.
I remember on a weeks holiday to Exemouth, I went fishing off the rocks bleow the caravan camp we were at in rough weather and got washed off. Had numerous witnesses including the police and ambulance that were called out (felt a right twat, I can tell you!) and had absolutely no problem with the claim. I believe it was Norwich Union. Now called Aviva?!?!?!?
Anyway, give them a bell and see how you get on.

Good luck with it all mate. :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Interesting - I am with Direct Line with accidental cover and have replaced to date 2 x poles that were smashed and a load of tropical tackle that got damaged at around £6K total - always been good as gold with me including when I spilt a pint of beer into my computer that was running at the time lol!

Edit - Hiscox are supposed to be the best for settling ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts