The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled on this video and found some of it quite interesting, ok its not a flashy video about lure fishing, :-o its basically a lecture about a study that was carried out into the effects of catch and release on bonefish. I know what you're thinking, snore....:roll: but some of their findings in relation to air exposure and the use of lip grips were surprising to me at least, even if there were relating primarily to bonefish. Anyway it might be of some interest to some of you.:geek:

Here's a link to the video: http://forum-network.org/lecture/catch-and-release-recreational-fisheries

Catch-and-Release in Recreational Fisheries

April 26, 2010

Andy Danylchuk assistant professor, fish conservation, University of Massachusetts-Amherst

Fish conservation professor Andy Danylchuk explains that catch-and-release as a conservation measure operates under the assumption that the impacts of angling do not negatively affect fish survival. However, a growing pool of evidence indicates that the physical injury and physiological stress associated with being captured may influence the fate of fish once released. Danylchuk presents the culmination of recent findings, reviews the scientifically quantified best practices that recreational anglers can now use to aid in the conservation of bonefish stocks and addresses what we know about best practices for striped bass.
Here's the Catch and Release brochure that's referred to in the video ;-) and if you're so inclined the paper on which the lecture is based. :geek:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Brilliant find Dave,
Just watched it start to finish.
With some interesting results.
Especially the impact of air exposure-vastly greater than even I would have thought it to be.food for thought definately.
Looks like bad news on the lip grip front for those that have one, not good for bonefish even when only used to hold the fish horizontal in the water.
and bear in mind this is the results from a pro angling research group.
Even better news is, it sounds like there will be a similar study done with striped bass. But not this year.
At last some cold hard facts on handling best practise, worth listen to and trying to put their reconmendations into practise.

Thanks again Dave, a really valuable find.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Interesting. However one study doesn't make a summer, and who uses lip grips for bonefish? Needs more work I think, but if you catch and release fish then of course there is some harm. But not as harmful as knocking the thing on the head. Perspective is all.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Using a grip on Bonefish, with the type of mouth they have would be like using one on our native Barbel, you just wouldn't do it. Our Bass' mouths are not as delicate and fleshy as those fish.

It's an interesting study though, good find!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It was the effect of what I would have called short air exposure that surprised me the most and while I know this study was looking at a different species in a different climate etc etc.. I still think that it is food for thought all the same.

Using lip grips on bonefish does seem odd I must admit but even though I use them myself for bass, I still think that there certainly is potential to unintentionally damage fish with them. I know I've had fish jump while I was using a lip grip and had the lip grip perforate the lower jaw. On the other hand they can help to minimise handling but I'm certainly no expert in relation to the effects of handling etc... That said I do release pretty much release everything I catch so I'd like to think I'm giving the fish I release the best possible chance of survival, even though there is no denying that catching and releasing will inevitably have some effect on the fish but not as much as knocking them on the head.

btw here's another video showing some footage of their in the field research.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Totally agree with the comments about lip grips being used on bonefish-never seen it happen anywhere I have fished for them. And that a bass's mouth I would have thought would be tougher than a bonefish-I guess until the summer 2012 study of striper catch and release we won't know for sure.

The evidence on air exposure was shocking, significant impact of the fish, and the time taken for recovery and mortality rates.

At least our bass don't have the same level of predation to worry about during recovery-although cuda and lemon sharks might make an interesting addition to the uk coastal fishery.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Surely if we worried about harming any kind of fish then we wouldnt target for them in the first place. I use a lip grip and return all my fish and as yet i havent seen any dead fish washed up on any of the marks i fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts