The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent many hours last night trying to rid my pc of the Internet Security 2010 spyware - bloody nightmare.

In the end I found - Malwarebytes anti-malware. Was free to down load and worked a treat.

Thought you might want to know.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yep - that one's installed for me as well. Touch wood I haven't picked up too much trash recently. Must be the websites you boys visit !!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
What should i have in place on my home PC ? Should i be paying BT for the upgraded package with the Security stuff ??? I think i've just got the basic package at the moment, as i don't like paying the knobs over-the-odds !!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm with Alex. Don't pay anybody for security. It's never worth it - they usually just give you the bigger programs that are more of a pain in the arse than anything. AVG is pretty much all I use. Never had a problem (touch wood).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
AVG caused some incompatibility issues for me, so I run Avast and SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search and Destroy as well as MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Even with all of them updated, it's amazing how often only one of them picks up an issue.

·
Registered
716 Posts
AVG Free as a computer anti-virus programme all the way, works great.

And then if anything gets through (very rare), use that Malwarebytes thing to clean it up.

And don't use Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Use something like Firefox. Far safer.

·
Banned
792 Posts
What should i have in place on my home PC ? Should i be paying BT for the upgraded package with the Security stuff ??? I think i've just got the basic package at the moment, as i don't like paying the knobs over-the-odds !!!
use the free ones. I have AVG Free and Avira Free Edition parallel running on my XP System.
Smooth and secure. Weekly total scan, daily updates. From time to time I am running Bitdefender and Kaspersky from a life CD (Linux based) and good it is.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
849 Posts
Cant recommend Kaspersky enough. Been using if for about 3 years now and i've been throuh all the major players since I've worked in IT. It's simple, doesnt hog all your system resources like norton bloatware and I've never had any security issues since it's been installed, despite the misses using my pc on a regular basis.

AVG is okay, a lot of people I know use it and I've installed it for many people I know who are too cheap to pay for a better alternative :p
I've also had to re-install it for those same people when I've had to reinstall windows for them after they've picked up various nasties from "gentlemens" websites. I guess you get what you pay for

So you guys will happily pay £20 for a shiney new lure but can't justify the same amount for a years online safety? :D

Oh and yeah, as Henry said Firefox not internet explorer, doesn't matter how many time M$ try and patch it it always seems to have more holes than a pair of airflo waders (allegedly)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re : Malwarebytes anti-malware

I normally run checks with spybot/hunter etc every so often but have been a bit slack latley , so I just downloaded Malwarebytes anti-malware and ran it , and it found 4 virus's that avast had missed , and a fair bit of net junk.

Bit cleaner now :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
AVG and Firefox for me too. Never had any problems with either so far. Seem to remember a few european governments advising their people not to use Internet explorer.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts