The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
After a short gutter walk yesterday evening (post speaking to **** and Doug) I nailed 7 small Bass in shallow water as the tide ebbed away. They were set up, everywhere it seemed.

I ventured out again at 11pm last night after Krashtest put the idea in my head to go fishing.

I'd just wrote an article on my blog reference 14.5 degree's and topwater but in reality, 15.5 degree's mean temperature brings activity to Bass regardless of method.

By 11:30 I'd had my first first fish to a 5g head 3" straight tail lure OTD. In, sinking...BANG ! No Tap.

By 12 O'clock I'd had over 6 fish. Not one a chuck but not far off.

I actually moved around quite a bit trying to find better stamp fish but they were all like clones. 1 3/4lb thru 2 1/2lb. It just wasn't happening.

The next 4 hours was mental. I had fish on a range of small plugs and some of that time was spent using topwater lures to hone the old skills. I've only fished 3 times like this now this season.

In the end, I lost count of the fish. Well over 25 in the end, maybe even 30 ?

As I packed up and returned to the car I walked down the slipway 1/4 mile away from where I'd been fishing. There were Bass everywhere slashing at small bait. I've not seen that for some years. One cast, 1 fish immediately the lure settled.

A slightly bigger fish..

Quick picture, back in and home to bed.

This is what Bass fishing used to be like but they were bigger 20 years ago.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Nice to see lots of smaller bass about, if they survive they are the future.
I thought that you guys suffered from a lot of commercial gill netting????

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Crazy fishing. Good to see them there in numbers.

Tried here after dark last night as well but conditions were extreme. Either too much swell or too little and zero current.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Glad to know I put the idea in your head , but guess that was from giving me some tips got u thinking - wish my idea for me and my m8 found us fish last night :-/ ( I had 2 schoolies in 6 hrs / 2 marks)

Well done on hitting them - you know how to find them in numbers!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Nice to see lots of smaller bass about, if they survive they are the future.
I thought that you guys suffered from a lot of commercial gill netting????
Its not too bad Nige, there are a few guys that do it but not many thank god. The thing that bugs me is we can all go out over a summer and catch a few hundred schoolies around here, but in one night a netter could whop the lot, for what??? £2.50 per lb at the most in the summer?? How much money has, and still could that shoal of fish bring in fishing tackle, boating gear, visitors, guides, hire cars, hotels etc etc, and at the end of all that money being made, if C&R is practiced most of the time, then most of the fish are still alive......it just dont make sense.

Anyway, sorry to get political, back to thread.

Good to see some life in the gutters again Keith, I think this weekend could be amazing, but I am off to Norway!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy fishing. Good to see them there in numbers.
The magic 14.5 degree's Ben.

Well done on hitting them - you know how to find them in numbers!
I'm just supremely talented Dave....LOL
If you find pods of fish like this they aren't that challenging TBH. However, on the light gear, tremendous fun.

Its not too bad Nige, there are a few guys that do it but not many thank god. The thing that bugs me is we can all go out over a summer and catch a few hundred schoolies around here, but in one night a netter could whop the lot, for what??? £2.50 per lb at the most in the summer?? How much money has, and still could that shoal of fish bring in fishing tackle, boating gear, visitors, guides, hire cars, hotels etc etc, and at the end of all that money being made, if C&R is practiced most of the time, then most of the fish are still alive......it just dont make sense.

Anyway, sorry to get political, back to thread.

Good to see some life in the gutters again Keith, I think this weekend could be amazing, but I am off to Norway!!
Completely agree ****.
Oh, and I really feel for you loss this weekend. It must be hard leaving this great fishing behind.
Just to go to Norway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts