The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is nothing to do with fishing. But any of you guys on the IOW, could you tell me what Newport is like(good bad &the ugly) please.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Island has many beautiful places to live, but I personally wouldn't advise Newport. It's the main town on the Island.

Depending ony our budget I'd look further a field. Not only that but it would take you almost a whole 20 minutes to get to the beach! Unless you want to go for bass down the Medina which runs through Newport!

PM me if you want more help mate. More than happy to help.

·
Registered
849 Posts
yup gotta agree, I've been all over the island over the years and I wouldn't pick Newport either :)

South of the island would be better in my opinion, having said that it's worth bearing in mind that it's not a big island, if you are looking to move there because of a job then to be honest wherever you lived the commute wouldn't exactly be a killer. I think the island is something like 23 miles wide by 13 miles top to bottom and Newport fairly central.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to live in Newport mate....and i can't complain about it (it's central in an Island 60 mile round) obviously it has it's undesirable bits but it's all relative, where abouts are you moving from?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
from memory I think Shaw Taylor (from Police 5 in the 70 / 80s with the catcphrase "Keep them peeled...") lives in Newport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Island is a lovely place to live and from a fishing point of view it gives you plenty of options....but be prepared for things to grind to a hault over the winter months, the tourists go home and the holiday homes sit empty....that said we do get our Island to our selves for a bit!
He lives in Freshwater as far as i know Jon....i used to cut his lawn!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts