The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or have things gone very quiet in the South East region at the moment? Well for all of June really - only a couple of posts for the entire month on the forum.

Despite many outings at different venues and using a variety of proven techniques I have failed to register 1 bass, after a really good start in May. The water around the Island in particular seems dead, no birds working and certainly no fish moving.

Anybody in the immediate area finding the same?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
same in most of north wales,very few being caught on lures (reported anyway) not much bird/baitfish activity either which probably explains it ! can only get better.........

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I said the same to my lad only this morning. June has been tough for us in West Wales, whilst May was actually pretty good. I have put a lot of hours in and mainly had the odd (small) bass rather than the bigger and better numbers I had in May. So to answer your question, "No" it's not just you!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The South West section has been a bit quiet too. I don't think it's because the bass aren't there though. I've had a few decent sessions during June, but I'm not fishing quite as much as normal at the moment, so haven't been posting so often either. I'm sure there are people out there catching though...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi dave in my part of Cornwall things have picked up over the last 2 weeks, I have had 17 bass in my last 4 sessions. There are a lot more sandeels and bait fish about at the moment. this may be due to the settled weather we have had with not to much wind. But that looks as thou its going to change by the end of this week.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have found it hard too, but have seen alot of bass around, the water i have been fishing has got a large amount of red gills at the mo and think they are just feeding on them

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Good question,
Here in Sussex, the May Rot bloom hung on longer than normal, due to the settled conditions. However the bass were there in small pockets of cear water. The last couple of weeks have seen things starting to pick up. Although the southerlies won't be helping at the moment. Just when the water was getting cear, it has started to colour up. I was out this morning, Had a schoolie (pound and a half) and dropped another. My mate had a nice bass on briefly before it came unbottoned, But he picked up another schoolie a bit later. Hunt for clear water with bait present and the bass wil be there. I have found that so far this year, the bass (inshore) seem to feeding on small baitfish, so lures in the 80-100mm seem to be the way to go.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had a little beauty (about 4lbs) on Saturday, Dave. Cracking little fight. It was a very rare fish though for me of late.

I think things are going to pick up very, very shortly on some marks mate.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The bass are here, they just don't seem interested in any of the lures I've chucked at them.

Dave, I've just got back from a recce on some local rocks, will send you a pm.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice bass James, thats as big as I have seen this year so far.

Andy, sounds interesting!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Myself and a friend have had similar experiences on the Sussex reefs. There's an excess of weed on the reefs. Finding clear water has proven difficult and only really available as the tide stands still at the top or bottom - not very fishy states of tide. We've seen a few schoolies about and quite a few jumping out of shallow water... probably frightened as they spot "something" closeby in the murky water.

A few weeks ago, another friend of mine did see a huge school of bass feeding on whitebait in a harbour area while he as having great success bait fishing. The fish he caught were gorged on whitebait, spitting them out as they were landed. What fun that would have been on plastics...

With the slow start and cold water we had early season, the prawns have been slow to grow. They're now finally ready and, along with the whitebait, these smaller foods probably make a big part of the bass' diet at the moment.

As Tunny said, find the clear water and fish small lures. Soft plastics should work very well, if you can place them in the right piece of water!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Still seems to be the same huh, chaps? Hardly any catch reports being written. Is that because we aren't catching or slow in getting reports on to the forum? I fished for around 6 hours on Sunday, in wind, rain, boiling hot sunshine, over cast thundery conditions and had one schoolie which fell to a Mylar minnow halfway up the river Medina. Which is bizarre as I've only just started using SP's and have never really fished the Medina before.

So, is it a bit of a slog on your marks right now?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Bit hit & miss in my part of the world at the moment James. It'll improve over the coming weeks though :D.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've forgotten what it's really like to go fishing :-( It's been so long since I had a proper sesh...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yeah but you always have those crocs, Si! I'm still waiting for my mate to have a free weekend to show me the ropes when it comes to piking. Isn't Summer piking frowned upon by some?

Told you Ben! Nerr nerr nerrr nerrr neeeeerrrrr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi James, dreadful around the Island for me for the past month. Not through trying to work out why. Tried all my usual venues and some new ones at different times of the day and used every trick I know from all I have learnt from this this forum. Still nothing, not a fish in sight. Just don`t know what is wrong around here. Be interesting if anyone has any different experiences. Tried the flood tide, the ebb tide, hard lures and soft lures with every technique I can think of! Still zip.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Its a real bitch isn't it, Dave? You had a little run not too long back didn't you?

In the last few weeks I've tried Ventnor, Totland, Cowes, Gurnard, Bembridge and Whitecliff Bay. Lets just say the results haven't been astounding.

I haven't seen one mackerel yet!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts