The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or does there seem to be much more of an SP revolution kicked off this year? I seem to notice in more and more posts that people are turning to softies as much as hard lures?

I know I am biased towards soft lures as that is my thing (more and bigger bass IMO) but what do others think.

Are our minds being opened to what is possible?

Is Britain as a nation starting to progress towards what the French etc have been doing for ages?

What is the perception from others around those of you using soft lures?

It's still difficult here but the results that I keep posting on the local forum are making a few people have a good look at what's going on.

Hopefully we will see some teach in's in Guersey soon on lure fishing in general. You see over here, if it's not silver, sandeel shaped and alive and being sent out with just a hook on the end of the line to spin it back, then it's just not worth the effort.

But, as I said, a few heads at least have been turned and even a few of the bait boys have started to fish lures much more regularly, but not with confidence just yet. I'm not talking just bass either, the wrasse have made people think as apparently there aren't any about this year??!! :shock: I could swear I have had over 100 wrasse who would disagree with that!!

What are the views from your areas? How wide is the net spreading? Are we getting anywhere.

P.S. No offence to hard lures at all!! I see SP's as an entirely different area of lure fishing.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
They certainly work mate! You've had your P.B on 'em, I've had my P.B on 'em (albeit different technique) and I've read plenty of stories of others taking their P.B on 'em....

I'll definitely be using them more from now on, I think it's all a confidence thing. You can see the action of a plug as it swims towards you, but you have to rely a lot on feel when using plastics.

Can only go forwards from here!:arrow:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Your right on there Andy!

If I had not come across this forum I would still be using hard plastics, I can honestly say when the weather conditions were in my favour I caught more on the Sp,s than on the plugs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I must admit my sp collection is increasing faster than my hard lures . i think the harder the fishing the more likely you are to try the softies,. the main thing being is they do give results when the fishing is slow.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But Tony, this leaves the question, why wait til it's difficult conditions. If you catch on softies in difficult conditions, would you not catch more in good conditions? Don't always reach for the hard lures first, give the softies a go as the first thing in the water!!

I have started to fish this way as so many of my marks are a death trap to anything with trebles hanging off it, boulders and shallow water, weed beds or very deep water. All of which do not work all that well with hard lures.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Andy,

I agree. Many more posts regarding success with soft plastics. Many PBs on softies. I am off to Weymouth this weekend and have arranged to meet up with some guys who are fishing softies all the time and with success. Not only for bass or pollack but wrasse as well. I can't wait and will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
How much of it is down to where you fish them? Most people are reluctant to keep bouncing £20 plugs of rocks and weed beds but soft plastics are cheaper and far easier to rig weedless. This allows you to fish deeper into structure that before you might have thought twice about. Likely to be a contributing factor.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I doubt anything will replace my love of hard hard plastic. You never forget your first love and all that. Once, twice, three times a hard plastic.

However, I have started using SP's more this year and they sure are brilliant. Wonderful in fact. I just don't feel confident enough with them unless I know the ground very, very well. Of course I could just cast and bring them back on a steady retrieve through the water. But I would prefer to twitch them along the bottom, around/over structure, through kelp with plenty of long pauses or with certain SP's imparting a "shaking" technique where by it looks like a baitfish feeding on the bottom.

I just get that horrible nagging feeling that unless I know the ground like the back of my hand I would be forever getting snagged up, losing tackle, changing leaders, re-rigging the bait and perhaps losing a big fish because my braid has rubbed against one structure too many.

Not only that, but the first few SP's I rigged looked like road kill with a jig head coming out of it at an awkward angle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I was forced to choose a single type of lure for the rest of my life it's be a SP jerkbait every time. Add a couple of stingers, jig heads and EWG's and I'd be covered at all depths and conditions.

I could happily give up hard plastics and metal things today if forced to....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Without starting a war, the damage that three sets of trebles barbless or not impaled in a bass does to the survivability of the Bass raises alot of questions for me personally. I have found this year that SPs as well as being very effective are far easier to take out of a fish,more importantly the Bass seem to swim away stronger.Just my twopence worth.
regards
Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts