The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-(Hi,

I live in Colchester on the East coast and the water round here is like chocolate milk and not worth trying. Can anyone recommend how far north or south I have to go to find an area worth fishing? I have heard that it can be worth trying North Norfolk but it is a drive and i was wondering if anyone had tried Norfolk or how far south into Kent you need to go to get any fishing.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi Richard,

River Blackwater and crouch are good,

·
Registered
431 Posts
Once again you have got to know your marks, The blackwater is generally the clearer of the two, had some nice fish from the estuary. Only really fish it in calmer conditions when water clarity is good, but having said that have caught in murky water with a tackle house feed shallow.

Surface lures are good in the shallow stretches on the estuary, and i generally walk out as the tide is coming in but i know the river well so you must be cautious. The blackwater holds big bass but once again its location, location,location. My PB is 9lb with lots of fish around the 4lb mark but i do fish it regularly.

I hope this helps i have some pics of bass caught in the estuary on my profile.

Michael.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Michael

thanks for that i will have to watch the water and give it a try once the water clears. Nice Pics by the way! I know the pyefleet holds plenty of big bass and i might try in there once the weather warms. I've had plenty of bass locally on bait but fancy trying lure fishing for them and until now i have discounted this method for this stretch of coast due to the water conditions. I guess if the bass are there they must be feeding on live creatures and find them by vibration and sound and not just vision.

Thanks Very much for the help.

Richard

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Give it a go Rich. One of the local lads let it slip that he had quite a number of Bass on the plug off Spurn Point ( mouth of the Humber) last year and that is always coloured. No different from plugging at night is it??

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'll be doing the same at Spurn Point and the east riding coast.

Particularly if the Smooth Hound season is slow.....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Basically, if you have fish around your area, lure fishing will work.
You might have to break a few eggs but sure, go for it.

Use lures that have alot of presence. Like colorado bladed spinnerbaits etc..

You never know till you've really tried.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts