The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title really. Rather than a 4 piece standard lure rod, an LRF rod would seem the better holiday companion, as messing around on a pier / harbour / breakwater is generally easier than seeking out decent plugging marks.

Has anyone come across anything decent that may fit into a small bag / hand-luggage :?:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I would think 3 piece easier especially solid tipped.
I know they aren't LRF rods proper in the sense of the word but look at freshwater wands 7 - 8ft ish.

Just add a solid carbon tip if the hard tip that comes with these multi tipped rods isn't responsive enough.

Should make any such rod 3ft long ,max ?

Actual 4pc ? not seen one but there might be.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
As per the title really. Rather than a 4 piece standard lure rod, an LRF rod would seem the better holiday companion, as messing around on a pier / harbour / breakwater is generally easier than seeking out decent plugging marks.

Has anyone come across anything decent that may fit into a small bag / hand-luggage :?:
Sage,,,,,I have two of them 7 foot 1/4-1/2 oz and 1/4-5/8 oz lure weights.
Designed as a pure saltwater rod for bones etc.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think 3 piece easier especially solid tipped.
I know they aren't LRF rods proper in the sense of the word but look at freshwater wands 7 - 8ft ish.

Just add a solid carbon tip if the hard tip that comes with these multi tipped rods isn't responsive enough.

Should make any such rod 3ft long ,max ?

Actual 4pc ? not seen one but there might be.
Even though i said it's for hols, in reality, i want it for Business trips im likely to be making to France, so the smaller the better. I ideally want to get it into my hand luggage somehow.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
There are a few options out there that I can think of but none of them are specific LRF rods. The first couple I have myself.
Daiwa do 4 piece trout rods in their Presso Iprimi and previously in their Heartland series. Not sure what the current models are and I don't have the JDM catalogue here. Can let you know later. They are quite through action, not by any means soggy or floppy though.
There is a lighter Sage than the one Nick mentions. The one I have is 6ft 3 piece rated for 4-10lb line and lures up to 3/8oz. Mine has been all over and caught loads of fish, When I was in OZ it was my first LRF rod. I caught loads of bream and flathead using small SPs. The only downside is the 'old school build' with cork handle but that apart excellent. A great blank. I also have the same blank cutom build as a baitcaster. That is great fun!
Also check out the G Loomis Escape series, they do a 6ft 3in 3 piece which is quite highly regarded. There is a review on TackleTour somewhere.

Out of the three the Sage is the better LRF rod but none are 'true' (as in designed for) LRF rods. All of them will go in a suitcase too.

For something slightly heavier Daiwa do a 5 pieve Morethan lure rod. Not cheap at the moment wth exchange rates as they are.

I have quite a few travel rods and never go away without one!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This is not a specific LRF rod but the Majorcraft Sa-Ku-Ra DS-624L is a really, really good fast action 4-piece light spinning rod that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg either.

http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/bass-days-seasons.htm

Ask Plat to get it for you and because it is a 4-piece rod shipping cost would be relative modest too.

Reactions: Simon L

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies so far Gents. I certainly dont need it to be a 'purist' LRF rod. Just a light rod to target small species for fun. I'll be looking at all of these options over the next week or so.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
There are a few options out there that I can think of but none of them are specific LRF rods. The first couple I have myself.
Daiwa do 4 piece trout rods in their Presso Iprimi and previously in their Heartland series. Not sure what the current models are and I don't have the JDM catalogue here. Can let you know later. They are quite through action, not by any means soggy or floppy though.
There is a lighter Sage than the one Nick mentions. The one I have is 6ft 3 piece rated for 4-10lb line and lures up to 3/8oz. Mine has been all over and caught loads of fish, When I was in OZ it was my first LRF rod. I caught loads of bream and flathead using small SPs. The only downside is the 'old school build' with cork handle but that apart excellent. A great blank. I also have the same blank cutom build as a baitcaster. That is great fun!
Also check out the G Loomis Escape series, they do a 6ft 3in 3 piece which is quite highly regarded. There is a review on TackleTour somewhere.

Out of the three the Sage is the better LRF rod but none are 'true' (as in designed for) LRF rods. All of them will go in a suitcase too.

For something slightly heavier Daiwa do a 5 pieve Morethan lure rod. Not cheap at the moment wth exchange rates as they are.

I have quite a few travel rods and never go away without one!
That 'even lighter' Sage that you mention is the one that for some reason I never got,,,,,I think that they are utterly brilliant rods and complement the 'top end' saltwater fly rods brilliantly.
I am consistantly amazed that people dont seem to know about these rods and how good they are,I would rate my two as being as good as both my Tenryus for what they do.
Perfect for HRF/LRF ,if there was anything I could change it would be to have them as a two piece so I could carry them tackled up in the back of the car.
The cork handles dont bother me at all,,,,,,,,,,,Basically I love um and couldn't ever sell them.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I know that the blanks were available at one time (last year) for their travel rods and their steelhead rods. That opens a few other options as to getting a specific build. As for comparing with Tenryus, mine are 12 and 8 years old now but the quality of materials and build are at least as good. I haven't seen any of the recent ones.

·
Registered
849 Posts
This may be of interest...

At the last Sportfish show I went to in reading I was speaking to a guy called Mark Hamnett who is the director at Fishing Matters. They had some nice 4 piece 8'5" BROMANODELL World Series spinning rods there that while not LRF they are rated at 5-25g, they also do a 3 piece 6' rod.

The 4 piece was in a nice blue tube and would be easy to transport in a suitcase or holdall, probably small enough for hand luggage! They looked pretty good.
More info about the rods build here:
http://www.bromanodell.se/rods/travel/world/rods_travel_worlds.html

Website here:
http://www.fishingmatters.biz/

Rod info with casting weights:
http://www.fishingmatters.biz/products/bromanodell-rods/

All Marks contact details are on the website if anyone is interested and there is a list of stockists too.
I thinks **** has had some dealings with him regarding Owner hooks?!? Is that right ****?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Too big for LRF really but, being 5 peice, they fit very easily onto a bag and come in their own protective case:- Savagear roadrunner 7ft 5-peice. Southend Angling have them on e-bay.

For real LRF I have a 4 peice rod which i used in the USA for largemouth bass ultraliting. I'll look it out. Cant remember it's details (think it's 6'6") but it caught me largemouth to 4lb. when i get home i'll post up the details. It's in it's own little hard case/rod tube.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

At this years Gamefair I came across the Sonik rods. (I think it was on the Gary Evans stand) I was quite impressed with what I saw. I believe this is a new company that has been started by some ex-Hardy Grey personnel. I don't know anybody who has used one but the light rod I saw - 7ft rated 3-10gms certainly looked and felt the business. More info - http://www.soniksports.com/gb/product/178/sk4-travel-spin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi there

Please look at telescopics for the smallest easiest rod to put in hand luggage at 40cm collapsed.

Passes the ryanair test and at the sort of price you are looking for

I will declare an interest in that I use and sell some samples on italiafishing .co.uk so you are sure of a good service(hope the moderator will allow this self promotion)

However as an alternative Snowbee do some nice 4 part travel spin rods at reasonable prices and of course there is Greys who do 4 piece samples of there range as well.

I have used both on foreign exotic trips and they pass the test until something enormous takes hold and I have to get another

All part of the experience I suppose

Hope it helps

1 - 20 of 25 Posts