The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amidst the fog last night I waded the shoreline not far from home, the air was wet and the sounds of horns heard in the distance where muffled as was the light from the roadside.

It soon vanished to leave me in complete blackness, upto my waist in fast ebbing water.

I was trying something different. I armed myself with 4 and 5" Senko stickbaits rigged on both offset hooks and straight shanked, glass beads, split shot, jig rattle rubbers, light heads and the hope that I'd find fish.

Rigged right, Senko's drift level, something I think is needed for swinging dead drift and swing in our gutters. I've rigged the hook just a bit further back on a 5" for the first cast cause the wind is in the SW, about an F3.

Up current cast, splosh, lift rod, take up slack and swing my body with the lure as it drifts but maintaining bare contact. The bottom was felt just as it passed by straight in front of me, the lure turned to swing and I started to lower the rod and push the tip towards the lure to slow the arc of the swing...

Whallop ! 3lb Bass

The next hour saw me swapping between 4 and 5" lures and straight and offset hooks and without doubt, the straight hook made the better contact and gave the best hook hold. I probably missed 4 or 5 takes but in the end brought 6 more fish to hand. Biggest maybe 4 lb ish. Nothing huge but great fun and a challenge maintaining contact with such a light lure overall in pitch blackness travelling at that speed.

Overall weights are

4" Senko : approx 7g
5" Senko : approx 10g

I never really got to try T-Rigged or C-Rigged Senko's or the rattle chambers as the straight, weightless presentation was working from the off and the weights were right. If it ain't broke....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Keith. I can't tell you how much I want to be over there trotting baits down in the current! Interesting findings with the straight shanks.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Keith, are you rigging them weedless? I tried this on an offset hook and it "fixed" the lure so there wasn't much unrigged lure to wobble/wriggle in the current. I ended up just threading the 1st inch onto the hook and leavign the rest to waggle. Not weedless but suitablr for where I was fishing. Or, are they okay to literally drift as a "stick"?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keith, are you rigging them weedless?
Are they okay to literally drift as a "stick"?
Yes mostly. I use straight shanked hooks and utilise a cocktail stick through the lure and hook eye to stop it sliding up.

Yes, drift it. Most of my 'in current' Senko fish came on the drift.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts