The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my lad and his French Exchange correspondent up to the coast today after school purely to alleviate their boredom, and we dropped into the little fishing village of Llangrannog in Cardigan Bay. Although the weather was a bit miserable (overcast and drizzly, but hey this IS Wales we are talking about!) the sea looked soooo inviting. Flat - really flat - calm, and reasonable clarity with that green tinge to the water that I just find produces results. Didn't have any gear with us otherwise I would had to have had a chuck, so it was driving me nuts to be looking at such a promising sea. My two favourite marks are near this spot and before long, I'll be back and meaning business. Photos aren't terrific but for a mobile phone and grotty weather they will have to do. Roll on the weekend!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
wow now im thinking trip to wales this summer! they look great tim

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wow now im thinking trip to wales this summer! they look great tim
You should see what's just around the corners, Callum.... (obviously shot last summer!)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
absolutely stunning mate where abouts in Wales is it? i want to go there

·
Registered
932 Posts
Stunning spots, Tim. Makes me very jealous.

But more importantly, they're called "correspondents" now!? I suppose the word "student" has a racial undertone!?

·
Registered
623 Posts
All I can say Tim is thankyou so much for posting the pics of llangranog they have brought back alot of great memories. I stayed there in a holiday let inbetween the point in the photo (lochtyn I think) and llangranog beach. If you know it it is the place with a green corrugated roof at the end of a track. It is one field from the coast path. It truly is a stunning place and was fortunate to have great weather the whole time there. I walked out onto the point every day I was there and saw so much wildlife dolfins off the point, choughs, perigrine, kites and just where you took the sunnier pic where you drop down onto the reef looking north saw a seal and its pup chilling out on the rocks. You can see cader idris looking north and looking west you can just make out the wicklow mountains on the east of ireland.
Was just dabbling with lures when I was there but mainly spinning sandeel and had bass and mackies. But now I think of it it is perfect territory for lures.
A year later stayed in Aberporth just south of there and the reef just off the main beach just screamed bass saw a local guy land a couple of healthy bass almost one after the other, he was using lures probably one of the welsh crew on here?
Man I need to go back to the area knowing what I know now.....
Thanks once again Tim!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Aberporth is a bit of an old stomping ground for me Luke. Used to camp in the grounds of the Hotel Penrallt as a kid (in the caravan), and now still frequent the self-catering cottages there !! Stuning part of the world !!

·
Registered
537 Posts
The kids are all staying at Llangrannog Urdd place next week with local schools so may be an good excuse to look around the coastline :)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
How are you doing lads heading to Newquay about an hour or so north of Fishguard for a week in early June this year again with the family, done a bit of fishing there last year and will be doing a lot more this year, are any of these locations you have mentioned within reasonable distance from there. We are staying in Cel Bach and i will be traveling to the likes of Aberaeron and the surrounding areas would n"t mind going south either for a day i have been to the likes of Broadhaven,Littlehaven and Newgale a few years ago how would any of these locations fish with lures...... thanks

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
absolutely stunning mate where abouts in Wales is it? i want to go there
Callum - Cardigan Bay on the North Coast of Ceredigion - it's all terrific!

All I can say Tim is thankyou so much for posting the pics of llangranog they have brought back alot of great memories. I stayed there in a holiday let inbetween the point in the photo (lochtyn I think) and llangranog beach. If you know it it is the place with a green corrugated roof at the end of a track. It is one field from the coast path. It truly is a stunning place and was fortunate to have great weather the whole time there. I walked out onto the point every day I was there and saw so much wildlife dolfins off the point, choughs, perigrine, kites and just where you took the sunnier pic where you drop down onto the reef looking north saw a seal and its pup chilling out on the rocks. You can see cader idris looking north and looking west you can just make out the wicklow mountains on the east of ireland.
Was just dabbling with lures when I was there but mainly spinning sandeel and had bass and mackies. But now I think of it it is perfect territory for lures.
A year later stayed in Aberporth just south of there and the reef just off the main beach just screamed bass saw a local guy land a couple of healthy bass almost one after the other, he was using lures probably one of the welsh crew on here?
Man I need to go back to the area knowing what I know now.....
Thanks once again Tim!
Luke I know exactly the holilday let you mean as I have permission to park at the farm there when we go fishing in exchange for a few (very) fresh mackerel. Yes, I fish all the spots you mention. Still very quiet in terms of anglers and breathtakingly beautiful. Dolphins, seals etc on almost every trip, so even a blank is worth the trip. Very poor bass fishing there last year which is why I went to South Pembs to fish. I hope for better results this year. Not fished Aberporth really, but I know it does produce. Maybe Si, Me and the lads will have a go later in the year?

The kids are all staying at Llangrannog Urdd place next week with local schools so may be an good excuse to look around the coastline :)
Definitely Gwyn - take care as the rocks are like glass when wet, but if you want some ideas, drop me a PM!

How are you doing lads heading to Newquay about an hour or so north of Fishguard for a week in early June this year again with the family, done a bit of fishing there last year and will be doing a lot more this year, are any of these locations you have mentioned within reasonable distance from there. We are staying in Cel Bach and i will be traveling to the likes of Aberaeron and the surrounding areas would n"t mind going south either for a day i have been to the likes of Broadhaven,Littlehaven and Newgale a few years ago how would any of these locations fish with lures...... thanks
Barry, these photos are taken half an hour south of Newquay. There is good fishing all the way from Aberaeron to Fishguard so take your pick. The best bet may be to contact the local bass guide, Tim Harrison - http://www.sea-bass-safaris.co.uk/ - who operates out of Newquay and knows this area like the back of his hand. he does shore and boat trips and is very resonable. I dont fish as far north as Newquay myself (too much ground to cover) but know the reefs do all hold fish.
As for the other marks you mention there are some great spots there too. I've only visited them a couple of times (had a nice fish there first visit). Guys like Darren Edwards and Tide Dale (Mark) fish around there more than me so maybe PM them?

Reactions: Barry Howlin

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I agree completely. Looks incredible. I have some family in Chepstow that I am visiting this summer, just been checking Google Maps...quite a trek still but maybe worth a go after seeing pics like that.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Drop me a PM before you travel Mark as some local knowledge on parking and access will be invaluable - it's not always apparent from the maps and there are some fairly steep paths/climbs/scrambles to some of these marks, and also the danger of spending the whole tide out there whether you wanted to or not!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nick, being in that bay on late summer evenings with the bass feeding off the top and not a soul around is simply magical....

·
Registered
773 Posts
Stirred into action - just the jolt I needed

Tim thanks for putting the pictures up, Id almost forgotten how beautiful a place it is. Seeing them has just stirred me into action and I’m definitely heading out on Sunday. Probably not West but further South for a bumble so if you fancy a pint on Sunday lunch time I’m in the chair.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Aberporth Spent all my youth down there fishing and catching colds lol, as they say West is best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts