The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Savage! I wish that punishments on pollution were so much worse than they are. Especially when oil companies in particular make SO much money doing what they do. I'd be making BP especially sort out all of the Worlds poverty on their profits if I had my way. They'll be out of business in 20 years when all the oil's gone anyway. May as well give all their money away now as compensation for their crapness, sort the world out, immediately cut pollution and just make the world a generally better place. Flippin' Devil spawn. They'd be free then to produce the alternative energy that already exists but is being held back until the oil dries up.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Sorry Ben...you've been reading too many Green peace propoganda posters mate.!!

There's at least 45 years of oil left in the existing areas of the North Sea never mind the ones that haven't been surveyed yet and as regards the rest of the world try nearer 200 years of oil left then you'd be close.

I agree about the pollution whole heartedly but there is so much bo**ocks talked about the oil industry by people who don't know anything except that they want to discredit it (some thing it can do very well on it's own by the way) that it makes my blood boil. Just remember no matter what you think of the oil and coal industries that if it were to stop using it our society would close down. It powers 90% of transport and probably 70% of the electrical power. Most of you will not be old enough to remember the strikes and power cuts in the 70's having no power especially in the winter is not nice........and more importantly how would we get our lures from ****.........

PS Don't blame the oil companies for the non development of alternative energy sources....if there were any that could compete with oil they would have been developed a long time ago. The simple facts are that there are none that with todays technology are better....but they are on their way and things will change.... lets hope through enlightenment not ignorance and closed minds.

Rant over.......

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you Trev however the oil is being used at a alarming rate and wont be refined fast enough for the high demand.
Countries like China and India will cause the price of oil to rise higher untill it gets to the point of the highest bidder gets the oil, the fight for oil will result in more wars.
We need oil and no other other form of energy can replace it, you can't make fishing rods and lures from sun light/wind energy/tidal power.
check out http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080807185043AAlPQa3
The problem is we have made such a amaizing resource too cheap, something is very wrong when a 25cl bottle of water can cost more 25cl of petrol. People complain about the oil companys making loads of money but the days of sweet light crude have gone and oil companys spend a fortune trying to find new oil fields, they earn every penny working in hostile conditions and should be seek the rewards when they find oil.

As for the BP oil leak this is down to Transocean, BP told them about the leaking BOP valve 3 days before it blew, Transocean were responsible for maintenance and said they checked the valve and it was fine, Guess they didn't look properly. I dont see the american press slagging off a American owned company.

None of this helps with my lack off bass though.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Pete maybe you should try changing your login to "hooked on Bass"......;-);-)

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Yes spillage is a terrible thing, and hopefully lessons will be learnt.

Off topic but .... for the Oil Comapny bashers who complain about fuel costs, one thing to remember is that 87% of what we pay for a litre of fuel goes to the Government in Taxes.

The remaining 13% goes to the Oil Companies, who have to do Exploration work to find it, then Drill it, then Produce it, then transport it to the Refineries who have to Refine it, and then they eventually sell it. Yes they make huge profits, and should be held accountable when things go wrong, but hey the Government doesn't do too bad considering they do nothing in that whole process!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Too true Nick..........

At the other end of the scale...although oil has to be viewed as an increasingly reducing (scarce is not as true as we're lead to believe) commodity the price neither reflects the cost for getting it out of the ground nor the scarcety of the product but more of the greedy money men playing with the futures on the stock market. The oil companies were making a nice profit at $50 dollars a barrel thank you until the money men played and got the price to over $120 possibly $140 per barrel. It was not in the oil companies interest believe it or not for the oil to reach this price. The costs could not be afforded, countries economies crashed and so did oil sales and that really hurt them. $60 to $80 per barrel is more than high enough but they don't set the price.....the money markets do..unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LOL, don't worry Trev, I was actually thinking of the youtube video in the Jokes thread about 'having an opinion' almost for the sake of it when I was typing. I definitely don't know enough about oil, politics or money, and I'm definitely not as much an environmentalist as I should be. Forum's are already full with enough people who think they know what they're talking about without me to be stepping in and 'fuelling' the fire. ;-) The BP spill does suck though, especially if the management company were warned. Whether oil lasts 20 or 200 years though... just look at how fast things change with technology. 20 years ago I'd never even used a computer - now I spend 60% of every day using one. Alternative energies may not be cost effective (or simply, popular) at the moment, but they'll have to become a reality, obviously.

Off topic but .... for the Oil Comapny bashers who complain about fuel costs, one thing to remember is that 87% of what we pay for a litre of fuel goes to the Government in Taxes!
This is the single reason that my generally 'ignorance is bliss' mind suspects that alternatives are actually more widely available than we're led to believe. I know we can't do everything with alternatives at the moment, but transport, we can (if it didn't cost us all the price of a new car), and technology will improve over the next 20 years to enable things we can't even imagine right now. I'm always happy to be proven wrong or told the actual facts, but things like this are pretty much unknown to every one of us. Governments the World over receive insane amounts of money from oil in taxes. Even commercial fishing comes in to it in a similar way. They could slask fish quotas to enable more sustainable fishing, but they prefer to keep people in jobs and leave them to it until the fish are gone, taking money on taxes while they can, rather than planning ahead. Again, I go by hearsay to a degree, but what do we actually believe these days???????? Exactly the same scenario.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Me I'm just a don't know....:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Me I'm just a don't know....:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:
Damn it, I'd given you the benefit of the doubt and actually assumed you DID know what you were on about mate!!! lol. I'm the one who doesn't have a clue about how it actually works. Just added a bit on the end of my last reply actually. What the hell are we supposed to believe these days?! I really haven't got a clue. It's pretty much back your side and take a gamble. We only ever hear the two extremes of any argument, but rarely get shown the true, transparent facts about anything - or do we?! It gets even more confusing.....

This is why I live in a small community in Cornwall, walking distance from the sea with nothing to worry about other than the number of holidaymakers clogging up the roads. :-D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Lucky man.............:mrgreen::mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts