The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Had a sort out at the beginning of the season and popped my two dexter weges (28g and 45g) into my seconds tray for special occasions.

The old man comes round the house, the night before him and some mates sail to the scilly Isles. He says can i borrow a rod and some tackle. I give him a v large fixed spool wit 20lb mono (i have seen him with multipliers), a 45g dexter wedge and a mackeral shad. I told him my boat rods were in his house and to grab the uptider.

He calls me two days later, after reaching the scilly's he's caught three pollock and asks me what to do with a "rock fish".....I told him what to do, something will give!..... "my casting is much better", he says "getting about 60meters" i said "thats not bad considering the kit you have". He said "the rods a bit long", i said "no its about 8' he said "no its about 3.5 meters".....he's on the boat with my beach caster!

Later that night he calls to give the final tally, 12 pollock, a mackeral and a wrasse on a dexter, 20lb red mono, large fixed spool and a beach caster.

I was amazed and gutted, wishing i was there. I will never hear the end of this.

Hywel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't knock the old dexter - been having a lot of fun with mackerel, a 28g wedge ,a 7' 10-30g rod,braid and a 2500 reel

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't knock the old dexter - been having a lot of fun with mackerel, a 28g wedge ,a 7" 10-30g rod,braid and a 2500 reel
Hi Chris,

Wasn't really knocking it, but you aim for what you think is perfection, but sometimes its just being in the right place at the right time and doesn't really matter what tackle you have.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great story Hywel and well done to your Dad :-D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Haha,,, nice one Hyw', next you'll have to teach him how to stand on the top of the wheel house and cast 140 meters towards the shore,,, ;)

seriously though,, at least he got into fish., would have been good fun if he'd found a good tope or bluey, especially with the beachcaster... see ya soon mucca,,, :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now the old man is back, It gets a bit worse!!

The rod wasn't my beach caster it was an unopened 13' 6lb class course rod... surprised it could cast a 45g lure any distance!

·
Registered
381 Posts
nice one - its never about the tackle

just about what you do with what you've got.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts