The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ventured out last night to fish with Keith at the harbour.

After an hour in traffic (bloody roadworks) I wasn't in the best frame of mind but a small pollack christened the Black Bull and cheered me up. Keith was fishing nearby and we tried everything, plugs, spinnerbaits and range of SPs from small up to 4". The water was gin clear. Amazing viz.

To be honest I struggled to get a bite I could connect to, but eventually Keith worked out a pattern and in relatively quick succession he had three very nice pollack around 1.5lb+ on a small SP. Decent fish by any method, especially LRF. And they all went back fit as a fiddles. On reflection I should have stuck to smaller lures but as ever the tuna gear was calling me "just in case". I know they are out there.......

On a cautionary note, another chap fishing nearby went for a real burton, falling about 6-10 feet with a hard landing. I thought it was an ambulance job before he got up and dusted himself down. That old "never fish alone" thing eh. I bet he knew about it this morning, especially given the chunk of shin he left behind! Ouch.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I thought the same! Would have been quicker to walk, Paul? I bashed my shins on Sunday just slipping off a small rock. I admit I did squeak a bit - George just laughed....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yea, those rocks are leg breakers at best should you fall. Some are really slippery. Not seen such clear vis for years. I could see Paul's tuna lure trundling across the bottom 30ft down..LOL
And yes, those Black Bull 260's are pretty good. Loads in reserve on those Pollack (which did fight) and a nice mix of sensitivity and power.
Blue lures fished deep, at night !

Broke all the rules. One to remember in gin clear water for sure.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yea, those rocks are leg breakers at best should you fall. Some are really slippery. Not seen such clear vis for years. I could see Paul's tuna lure trundling across the bottom 30ft down..LOL
And yes, those Black Bull 260's are pretty good. Loads in reserve on those Pollack (which did fight) and a nice mix of sensitivity and power.
Blue lures fished deep, at night !

Broke all the rules. One to remember in gin clear water for sure.
ha, and bloody rod breakers, lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts