The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't started doing air guitar on the rocks but it's coming to the final days of the wrasse comp and I've been itching to get out and have go but the sea state hasn't made it possible with a huge swell for the last few weeks, even yesterday with the strong easterlies there were still some big sets rolling in. When I checked the buoy info this morning I knew it would be okay to fish a reef I've been exploring. Decided to treat myself to a giant xlayer but using a cone head hoping this may lessen my loses. After half an hour with no bites and beginning to think I'd lost any fishing skill I had I caught this chap who came in at 3lb 7oz using a slow wafty style retrieve.
DSCN2150.JPG
DSCN2149.JPG
I changed spots and after a while started to get good bites dead sticking but couldn't get a hook up, eventually losing the xlayer but it hadn't done bad about an hour before I lost it. The tide moved in so I had to come off. So no improvement in my wrasse weight but some spots to have another try at and good to get back in the groove.

Attachments

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Nice fish Andrew, thanks for sharing. They love those Xlayers

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice fish Andrew.......:-D:-D

I wouldn't advise going out to try and win the Wrasse competition mate. There's a rumour that Welsh snipers are stationed strategically around our coast line with orders to shoot anyone who catches a Wrasse over 6lb......;-).....:-D:-D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers chaps.
Wrasse really do love their xlayers, and the big ones do like the giant ones but they're bit pricey to use all the time over nasty ground like this. Earlier in the summer the wrasse really seemed to go a bit dolally for xlayers, I caught what appeared to be the same 4lb fish twice in ten minutes, the second time I put it in a deep rock pool to keep from catching it again.

Trev, winning would be a bit like being the anti santa but it would be good to put a good cornish wrasse somewhere up the leader board. Anyway I don't think even they can get their spies down to this bit of darkest Cornwall without being noticed and there is a reason why our wrasse grow so big...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Andy,
You forget the bumble mate.....The infiltration begins.........;-);-)

They're easy to pick out they'll be the only ones carrying their own sheep........:-D:-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts