The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like a little boy with a new toy (don’t know what I mean by ‘like’, I was a little boy with a new toy :-D) I had to go out & play with my new 8’ Mk 1 AFAW lure rod, Quantum reel, braid & plugs that I won in the Art of Fishing raffle.

Went down to Whitsand with Marq to be faced with a stiff SW breeze running across to in your face of where we were fishing, a bit of colour in the water & a fair bit of swell. Looked pretty much ideal conditions. Marq, who’d been there all day, said that in the morning there had been a bit of weed around, Not the best conditions to test out new gear perhaps but having walked all the way down was not about to turn around & go back up.

Moving from rock to rock, gulley to gulley over the next few hours I think I tried almost all of the lures that I have, including those that I won in the raffle, partly to see what worked best in the conditions but also just out of curiosity to see what action the lures had. Impressed by the rod. I’m not best placed to give ‘professional’ opinions on a rod but to me it seemed to have lots of feel at the tip & seemed to work lures of all sorts, big & small, very well. I also get the feeling that when you need a bit of beef in your rod (ahem) its there. I was also surprised with the Yamatoyo 4 strand braid – 20lb 1.5PE (0.203mm dia I think) – no wind knots in 5-6 hrs of fishing!!

Interspersed with all things fishing I had to swim to the rescue of my brand new yellow Patchinko 2 that was in distress stuck on a rock, ably assisted by Marq who was on dry land reeling in the line once I'd freed the plug. I feel closer to my plugs, swimming for them in the freezing cold sea :shock:

Later on in the session, spose about 8pm & fishing over some clean ground & deepish water I thought I’d give my OSP Rudra sinking plug a go.

. 079.jpg

Down came the heavens too – damn. Soldiered on anyway. I’d just brought the plug on the retrieve to a temporary halt & BANG. 20ft out. Fish on!!! I could see that it was not the biggest fish in the world but it was a fish nonetheless. A fair scrap for a fish of that size was had before bringing him in & claiming my 2nd plug caught bass.

Here’s a photo. Taken in the rain by Marq. Excuse the black & white but I’d left the camera setting on b&w when taking a picture of the family earlier on in the day. If I may say, considering that I normally look a complete dork in photos, Marq’s done quite a good job with this one & made me look half decent!!

. 086.jpg

Now I know that there’s been a debate recently about the rights & wrongs of Bogas. Being new to plugging I was not quite sure on what side of the fence I sat. I do now. I tried to play the fish out a little, not too much, just enough to ensure that it was not ultra lively when I landed it. To little avail however as when I picked the blighter up it would wriggle & flick & I’d drop it. Must have happened a couple of times. In the process it got one of the other trebles stuck behind its eye & narrowly missed sticking one in my hand.

With a bit of help from Marq, we managed to get the trebles out, & with a bit of TLC it was successfully released. I was relieved at this considering what it had been through. I think that Boga’s would have helped restrain the fish. I’m aware that there’s a chance that the mouth of any fish maybe damaged by using fish grips but used with a bit of care this would be much less harm than the distress/damage caused by a fish thrashing around & being dropped. There’s also the self protection element that fish grips afford you as I guess that getting trebles stuck in the hand is not fun. For me, Boga’s or some other form of rotating fish grips get a thumbs up. When I've got the dosh I'll get some. However I appreciate that they’re not for everyone

The wind dropped towards the end, leading to us being able to fish in relatively calm conditions. The sun disappearing over the horizon brought the session to an end. Only one fish between us (to me!!!!) but I enjoyed myself & had christened all of my new gear. I learnt a bit about the rod & how best to work the lures. An excellent session.

Cheers

Toby

P.S. Got home & dutifully washed all of my gear out in clean water. I thought I’d put one of the cupboards in our new kitchen to good use. My wife has not found the plug 'washing line'.....................yet! :???:;-):-D I'm hoping that at only 5' 4" tall that she won't see them:-D
. 081.jpg . 082.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
lol loved reading that, Toby and well done on the catch.

I see you have 2 of my all time fav lures on the "Lure line" - Mag Popper in Green Mackerel and Zclaw in Ghost Claw.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Firstly, congrats on winning the raffle! That is an excellent prize.

That was a great report and great to christen first sesh!

I'm hoping that at only 5' 4" tall that she won't see them:grin:
Don't ever believe it! ;-)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firstly, congrats on winning the raffle! That is an excellent prize.

That was a great report and great to christen first sesh!

"I'm hoping that at only 5' 4" tall that she won't see them"
Don't ever believe it! ;-)
She's found them! But get this she says that she doesn't mind them being there:-o:-D. Better than being spread around on the kitchen side apparently:cool:

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
GREAT REPORT TOBY GLAD THAT PRIZE HAS GONE TO GOOD USE WELL DONE GOOD IDEA PUTTING THEM OUT OF REACH OF THE MISSES LOL

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
First of all, well done Toby for claiming your first kitchen cupboard :muttley:

You can always have too many pots and pans, but never too many lures :-D

Glad your liking your new toys and well done on your first fish on it.

Gary

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great report Toby, congrats on the bass. What quantum do you have?
Hi Adrian - I've got the Catalyst Ci30 Salt Water reel. So far so good. Quite heavy for its size but apparently that's down to the bits & pieces inside it that make it salt water resistant. It's well balanced with the 8' AFAW rod

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all, well done Toby for claiming your first kitchen cupboard :muttley:

You can always have too many pots and pans, but never too many lures :-D
Gently persuading the wife now to let me have shelves in the bedroom to store all me bits & pieces:muttley:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Cracking report there mate.... and well done on winning that raffle, some nice gear there!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great report Toby, what a way to christen a new rod! You just got to win Weymouth now as you are on a roll!!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Nice going Toby , Lure washing line nothing wrong with that !! i got the airing cupboard and hang all my lures on the cylinder to dry and keep them warm .
As for the bedroom storage just move the wifes shoes into boxes & place in the shed or garage .. :-o :badlol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts