The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a lot of fun recently catching pollock and small wrasse on sp's using my bass setup, which isn't exactly all that suitable for this kind of fishing. I've decided to take the plunge into this world of ultra light fishing and tbh I'm a little confused.:-? I've been doing a lot of reading lately and trying to get my head around this stuff but I still have lots of questions.
  • First off in relation to the rods. I think I've narrowed it down to getting two rods, namely the Cormoran ULF and ULX but I'm not sure which length to get?

• My thinking is that the ULF is more of an MRF rod and should be suitable for most of the light stuff I plan on doing at the moment and probably better to start off with? Where as the ULX as I understand it is more of a true LRF rod and what I would plan using as I got the hang of this type of fishing and as conditions allowed. Does that make any sense or am I talking ****e?

• I've been trying to figure out what reel or reels I would need to balance these rods, would a 2500 sized shimano balance both rods?

• I still haven't decide how much I want to spend on the reel but the short list at the moment is the Exage 2500 FB, Cormoran Black Star 2500 (not sure about the size) or possibly the Rarenium Ci4 2500 FA. Anyone use any of these reels with the ULF or ULX and how do you find them?

• What about line, would 10lb or 15lb powerpro be OK to start with? I'm not sure how light to go initially but I think all those reels come with spare spools but I'm just trying to figure out what I should put on both of them?

• What about rod protection? They look like quite delicate rods so I'm assuming that I'll need to invest in a case of some description and I've been looking at some of the Cormoran ones that can take two made up rods but I'm trying to figure out how protective they are, anyone using them or have any other suggestions for rod cases?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
498 Posts
im new to this type of fishing to m8 but getting the hang of it, for mrf i love the 8ft cor tr4 is amazing for the money about £75, keith rates the ulx but iv tried he's shimano dia flash about £50 more but you can feel a fish fart on it, thats my next purchase has well as a rarenium 2500 evryone raves about them,spend as much has you can afford on the braid the dearer ones make all the diff on lrf, treat your self to some jackson metals, 5g cymo and 3.5g jaco vibs from about£10 from mr fish they are killers m8, hope this helps

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
After having a lot of fun recently catching pollock and small wrasse on sp's using my bass setup, which isn't exactly all that suitable for this kind of fishing. I've decided to take the plunge into this world of ultra light fishing and tbh I'm a little confused.:-? I've been doing a lot of reading lately and trying to get my head around this stuff but I still have lots of questions.
  • First off in relation to the rods. I think I've narrowed it down to getting two rods, namely the Cormoran ULF and ULX but I'm not sure which length to get?
I have had the ULX 2.4m for a long time and I wouldn't change it. It is a personal choice mind you, if you are used to a longer rod you might not want to step down too quickly? Seems that a lot of people who start using shorter rods say they wish they had done sooner.

• My thinking is that the ULF is more of an MRF rod and should be suitable for most of the light stuff I plan on doing at the moment and probably better to start off with? Where as the ULX as I understand it is more of a true LRF rod and what I would plan using as I got the hang of this type of fishing and as conditions allowed. Does that make any sense or am I talking ****e?
I haven't used the ULF so can't comment. The ULX is LRF and was how I got into it.

• I've been trying to figure out what reel or reels I would need to balance these rods, would a 2500 sized shimano balance both rods?
The reel I use on my ULX is a Cormoran Chronos 2500 which is small for a 2500 IMO. I also have Rovex Crosa 2000 which is bigger than the Chronos but has a (surprisingly) better drag IMO, which is something because the Chronos isn't bad...At the end of the day a 2500 might be OK if you can cope with the extra grams, but it will have a bigger spool capacity than you need and the retrieve rate will be that much faster.

• I still haven't decide how much I want to spend on the reel but the short list at the moment is the Exage 2500 FB, Cormoran Black Star 2500 (not sure about the size) or possibly the Rarenium Ci4 2500 FA. Anyone use any of these reels with the ULF or ULX and how do you find them?
I have seen them all in use. Tried the Black Star and Rarenium in bigger sizes. The Cormoran is fine and the Rarenium is a beautiful reel.

• What about line, would 10lb or 15lb powerpro be OK to start with? I'm not sure how light to go initially but I think all those reels come with spare spools but I'm just trying to figure out what I should put on both of them?
10lb to start with. Remember that is still way stronger than the rod.

• What about rod protection? They look like quite delicate rods so I'm assuming that I'll need to invest in a case of some description and I've been looking at some of the Cormoran ones that can take two made up rods but I'm trying to figure out how protective they are, anyone using them or have any other suggestions for rod cases?
I had the Cormoran rod tube and it was very good. I sold it because I didn't like climbing with it, but regret doing so in retrospect.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i started LRF with the ulx and had no problems with it its a reat rod 240 m is a sound size

i aslo have the balck star and cant complain ........... i love it!

15lb braid would be overkill i would say 8 is perfect

i also have that rod tube it keeps the rod fine, its a solid tube infact im the person paul sold it to.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave

I'm not sure what your bass setup is at the moment, but I would have thought the ULX would complement it nicely. I bought the 7' version, I played with both lengths and the 7' just felt better.
I use a 2500 Shimano on mine (not sure which model, blue with a rear drag) and it feels great. Cost about £50.
I have 10lb cortland braid on mine which is fine, but compared to the latest braids I've seen in ***** shop it's like tow-rope.lol. 8 or 10lb PP should be fine to start with.
I got a couple of cases from Askari for protection. Made by Berkeley, they seem to protect the rods OK, but I'm sure they could be better designed. I've cut off all the velcro straps inside which grab and destroy the braid all too easily!

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
great responses guys.

LRF covers a huge spectrum in reality. There will be everyone's favourites just like in every other branch.
Like has been said...

2500 sized reel (3000 is ok) is optimum imho.
I prefer 8lb braid or less (you know where you are fishing) or...
0.2 PE thru to 10lb or 1PE whichever comes first. 10lb max for 4 carrier lines.

In the case of YGK 0.8 (the pink stuff), 0.8 rates at over 12lb !! yet is magically thin.

ULX = true LRF
ULF = MRF (MRF is just different) you start to lose the on edge connection of being closely matched to 3.5g or less. However....6g - 14g gives a similar balance and feel to that found in the true LRF range. You've just stepped up. I'd target Bass (mid sized) on the ULF and it's lovely. Not LRF though.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help and advice lads, I really appreciate it. I don't think I've laboured over choosing gear as much as this before but I think I've almost made up my mind now and will hopefully order them during the week.

I still have to look into those new braids but I'm going to go for the 7' ULX and either the ULF or the TR4 (6-28g). I still haven't quite decided which one to go for but I'm trying to get some lighter gear that will compliment the gear I already have, which is an 8' 6" Rookie, 9'/8' Beastmaster STC and a 11' ML Surespin, so I'm kinda leaning towards the TR4 now. I must say it looks like a beautiful rod especially for the price.

As for the reel, well since it would seem that the 2500 should balance both rods, I'm considering treating myself to the Rarenium.:-D It looks like a beauty of a reel.

Thanks again

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts