The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading off to Jasper for a couple weeks holidays soon. Has anyone any experience of the fishing over there or any recommendations? Much appreciated

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hi ronan, i spent nearly 3 weeks travelling the rockies in 2001 in a camper and all i can say is if youve never been before its going to blow you away.Its just breathtaking and i can honestly say if i didnt have commitments ide try my best to get out there for good.I only stayed in jasper for a few hours had some dinner and a few bevvies but its surronded by stunning lakes.As for the fishing,the lakes are alive with trout,pike etc might be worth while hiring a guide if you can find one.I hired one in campbell river,vancouver island to fish vancouver sound and it was well worth while.Well if you havnt gone yet have fun and enjoy.ps go to banff and see lake louise and the town. pss Take mossi repellent {avon skin so soft moisturiser spray,probably the best mossi repelent there is,cheap aswel}.cheers daz.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Bull Trout!

Hi Ronan,
I fish canada every year. Rockies are the home of bull trout, cutthroat trout and rainbows.
Fish the streams (you don't need a boat!) For the bull trout (large predatory char) you need big streamers, the cutties are everywhere and will take pretty much all types of flies. Wild rainbows are my favourite, they fight so hard.
One thing to keep in mind is that all the trout over there like BIG flies. Don't bother to bring too many with you from here. When you get there definetly buy some streamers in stonefish patterns and some huge dries!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
hi mate i lived in labrador for 7 months fishing almost every day, there are lakers (lake char) Ounamish (Landlocked salmon), speckled trout, bull trout, northern pike, whitefish, suckers you name it they are there i was lure and fly fishing for them flies the green highlander took everything in the list as for lures. Believe iit or not use a 5 of diamonds spoon lure in yellow and red.
We bought 300 hundred of them as we kelpt losing them to snags in shallow water htough they also took everything with smash and grab takes from the pike. Where i was they only fish for the table no catch and release here is a spot of ice fishing we did http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=382140848996&set=a.382127893996.161875.551848996 When there get a copy of the provincial fishing regs maete they change between the provinces in mainland canada as i found out. some places will only allow fishing with a registered guide unless you are related to a native candian. Best to be safe than sorry mate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I worked in Jasper for a summer a few years ago. its a fantastic place with lots of distractions if you get tired of fishing (climbing, kayaking and moutain biking). there are plenty of lakes and rivers but i did not remember seeing anyone fishing, i was mainly in white water though. The town was full of fishing shops though so i guess it must be good. If you are into nice places, make sure lake louise is on the visit list. I dont but still thought it was stunning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts