The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Not really sure where to start with this one, so I'll start at the end, ie 5lb 10oz Bass.

Realistically, I still wear L'plates with regards to lure fishing as this is my first real year at it. The season started for me with a 6lb 10oz Jersey Bass, and looks like ending with the 5lb 10oz caught on saturday night. I have had smaller bass and pollack around (mainly) the NE mainland coastline, but the two trips to Jersey, both under the watchful eye of Jersey Bass Guides, are the highlights of my fishing year so far.

This event was a distant gutter wade, a first for me. Definately (initially) apprehensive about the whole thing but hey - how boring would life be without venturing into the unknown? One thing I'll emphasise for anyone who hasn't ventured out into the gutters on a nightime mission is the surreal visual effect of the landscape (not sure if 'seascape' is a real word?) to the sides and front, with the lights of the distant shoreline so far behind. The calmness of the water, and stillness of the night being both eerie and therapeutic at the same time.
The other point for emphasis though, and at the risk of speaking the obvious, is this really needs to be experienced under strict supervision.

Ironically, the first real snap back to reality was when my new m8, Dave 'Krashtest' Watson, had a silver torpedo shoot from kind of underneath him and out between his legs! Keith had warned us about this kind of thing happening underfoot. Whilst neither of us seriously doubted this, I guess both of us were in a state of disbelief when it actually happened.

The 5lb 10oz'er was caught on a giant Xlayer, rigged only with a couple of small shot and bumped under around 3' of fast moving incoming water.

I didn't get any pics, but Keith did so If anyone want's to see one, then please follow the link

http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bassfish/blog1.php/2010/09/25/deep-into-the-bright-night-hrf-bass

See ya! :mrgreen:

Reactions: Keith White

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
That sounds like quite a night Tony. Top marks for all of the learning & it paid off in the end! Standing out in 3' of water well offshore, at night, like you say must be a weird experience

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the positive comments lads, I was concious I might be coming over a little OTT about the session but it seriously scored points with me. A couple of times I wobbled and thought Iwas gonna go under but that won't stop me going out again!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Well done Tony, nobody can imagine what a big low tide at night is like until they try it, for sure. I can see why you're stoked.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice report m8 - I dont think OTT , I think you could be more and still not describe it fully enough!

I can only agree with what Tony has said as I was there too :)

As we said it was a pleasure to fish with like minded people and for me and Tony a totally unique and new experience for both of us!

37 years I have lived over here, I have gone past that gutter system all my life looking from the road, it was only 3 weeks ago I ventured down the side of it in daytime for the first time.

To hit it near midnight, big moon, rushing water was imence - I was cautious at first but then assured by knowing was in safe experienced guidance, to wade for over 3 hrs way out and back, always in waist/higher water is hard to believe in itself, the speed the water moves at would knock you off your feet if you lifted them to high (or a bloody big bass tries to hide in legs).

I didnt catch but had a few nice knocks and spooked a couple, but my head is still spinning from the experience, cant wait to go back out there and try again and hope I can do a catch report.

I have returned to a few places I have fished with Keith to check them out more, this is one place I will NOT be going to on my own or without more guidance first.

And then after all that to move somewhere else and for Tony to hit into a nice Bass in the last few casts of the night/morning made the trip.

well done m8, glad you enjoyed your trip, and will have to hook up next time your over.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Great post Tony, yet another member that has experienced the gutters at night with Keith and Kev and seen the marvels and techniques the guys use down there. I have never been there in the dark, I would love to to be honest, it must be amazing. Keith knows the south east coast sdo well, not many people would venture down there in the dylight, let alone at night. Well done to all.

Oh and it was nice to bump into you on Portland Bill a couple of weeks ago :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Tony: Dave:

Thanks for your comments guys. It was a pleasure to take you down there. Conditions were not great all week but this week have been way tougher so, I guess you did OK after all. It didn't fire but any fish caught in those gutters by anyone, of any size were hard earned.

Unless you really use stealth and the proper techniques, you'll blank 9 times out of 10 in the gutters under such circumstances so well done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts