The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Day 1 Thursday:
1730 hrs I finally get to set off for Weymouth with a car full of everything I think I need…..and a bit more I suspect.. 2130 hrs pick up Iestyn at Newport services and head off for Weymouth.

Day 2 Friday:
1115 hrs we arrive in Jersey after 1 hours sleep in car park and on ferry…a bit tired but soon lost that feeling as we left the ferry. Then we spot some mad man on the side of the road waving and blowing kisses at us?? :shock::shock::shock: Are all jersians this friendly? :oops::oops: Oops no worry it’s only **** come to meet us and make sure we don’t get lost. Apparently there were 3 or 4 Discovery’s on the ferry and all of the drivers are now in counselling…. After what he told us was the customary hugs and kisses?? We moved on to the Shakespeare Hotel to drop our gear and check in. Great views of the rocks and gulleys from the patio of the Hotel got our interest and raised the level of excitement to DEFCON 1 , all thought of sleep disappeared. Coffee, check in and then off to MRFISH……………. An afternoon of introductions with the gorgeous Nicola :-D:-D and extremely sexy Doug :wink: (I hope the money is in the post), followed by ogling all the shiney shiney………… and the inevitable parting of the ways with our hard earned cash…about £2-50p I think I spent..:wink:…pushed the boat out. What a place…….:cool::cool:

A phone call from Keith White had us back to the Hotel grabbing food and preparing for the first nights fishing session….couldn’t wait. After discussing and planning the trip with Keith and Kevin we were ready to go…Oh and also after continually assuring Keith that I was not a one legged, crippled pensioner with a Zimmer frame who was too infirm to take out on the gulleys…thanks to Tony Marshall who’s bait bills for this winter will now include a £10 donation to Help The Aged :wink::wink:…….We were off fishing. The wind had got to be quite strong when we reached the first mark making fishing awkward but even though no fish came out we were learning new techniques with SP’s and in some cases relearning techniques we’d not used for some time. On to the second location where I tried my very best to prove Tony Marshall right by slipping in a gulley and holing my waders:shock::shock:…..just gone up to £20 Tony…… After recovering my pride and settling down on a more secure ledge Keith commented that a hard lure might work in the more sheltered conditions. True to his word second cast I had a very hard double take BANG..BANG and gone..:cry::cry:….Wow and sh*t was about all I could get out as I continued a very slow retrieve when Bang I was in again. This time there was a fish there which proceeded to take 15 yards of line off the reel and also managed to get me over the top of a reef. For about 5 minutes it was a case of gaining a bit of line and then losing it and it all going solid….damn…then thump thump it was free again and slowly I managed to make ground on it. Until finally there it was on the surface…not the 6lb plus fish I had been expecting from the fight but a foul hooked 2 - 2 ½ lb fish that had fought well above its weight. Still, great first fish and a lovely fight right where Keith had predicted...

Kevin was on the other side of the rock with Iestyn still working hard with the SP’s and was getting some taps from the Cuttlefish but not managing to keep them on. While I worked my way round the far end of the beach Iestyn was working his way out into the basin as the tide was dropping away but no more fish came to us at this location.
Right, on to the main gulleys as they were now emptying and what a sight..even in the dark. First mark was on a very fast running gulley with a ripping flow down the centre. SP’s where out and being trotted down the mainstream…just like being back on the river Trent again. The SP’s were worked hard but we were only getting the occasional tap tap from cuttlefish as we worked our way down to a huge pool at the bottom of the gulley. As we moved further down the pool Keith again suggested a hard plastic might work. Eventually it did and how! :shock::shock: I was working the lure slowly back to me when Keith, who was stood behind me, asked if I was okay, I stopped and turned to say “yep no problem” and turned back just in time to see the dorsal fin of a Bass racing across the surface at my lure then BANG and I held on tight as the fish stripped 20 yards of line off the reel before I could stop it. Then a second, third and smaller fourth run before I began to get control of the still feisty fish. What a fantastic take, to be able to see it racing in on the lure in the shallow water before the take was unbelievable. Not too shoddy a fight afterwards either and a nice 4 ¼ lb fish added to the tally. Absolutely fantastic.

For the rest of the night we were pestered by one after another Cuttlefish that just would not come to the net. Anyway a very enjoyable first night in Jersey

Day 2: 0600 hrs saw us finally getting to our beds for 2 ½ hours kip before getting up and making our way down to the harbour for breakfast and our first day out on the boats with ****, Alan and Bob. We had to wait for 15 minutes for Alan to emerge from the moorings around the harbour wall and when he finally turned up……

We had a great laugh…..20 minutes or so later saw us drifting amongst the rocks we’d been walking and fishing around the night before and it wasn’t too long before I was into a nice little Bass…..

A bit later a double hook up followed with **** catching as well.

Things were slow and although we were getting takes and the occasional Mackerel and cuttlefish following the lures the Bass didn’t seem too interested. Then some thing switched them on and over 4 or 5 drifts over one pool Bob and **** were doubling up with both Bass and Mackerel on almost every cast. It was great with clutches screaming and fish jumping about on the deck…brilliant. Top fish came from Bob a really hard fighting 4 ¼ lb.

Total for the day 12 Bass, half a dozen mackerel and a wet pair of pants through laughing so hard at Bob and ****…”Mr and Mrs Fish”…..What a cracking day. Alan and Iestyn had had a really tough day. Alan checked all the regular and some hush hush spots with Iestyn and although he hadn’t managed to get a Bass he was very pleased to have put Iestyn on two Bass and a cuttlefish. So that was 14 Bass for the day plus the 2 on the night shift, 16 Bass not bad eh?:-D:-D

We were back at the hotel for 1800 hrs and were then chasing food before meeting up with Keith and Kevin again……We sheepishly suggested a little shorter night shift because of the lack of sleep……What a pair of wimps…I had to agree with Keith but he eventually agreed to be gentle with us. At around 2300hrs we were heading down the beach to some huge gulleys and again using SP’s and the skills taught to us the night before we gradually made our way down the gulleys but again apart from the tapping of cuttlefish we couldn’t connect with anything. We then set off on a long trek to the lower reaches of one very large gulley and spread out over a wide area where some other gulleys joined into the main flow. This spot looked ideal and we fished it as hard as we could SP’s and hard lures alike. Iestyn hit into something and shortly after confirmed a Pollack had been landed. There appeared to be plenty of fish action in the gulley but as hard as we tried we couldn’t hook any of them. Another hike took us into a huge pool which we slowly crossed casting and drawing as we went ….but to no avail. Having agreed to call it a night we were then able to relax, pull our heads up and look at the awesome surroundings. The walk back just proved how beautiful but also how potentially dangerous this area was, with out the experience of Keith and Kevin guiding us we wouldn’t have even contemplated attempting it……. The early night finished at around 0400 hrs with us getting back to the hotel and bed at 0500 hrs……

Up again at 1000 hrs for a special breakfast bun down at the harbour quay side then on to the boats again. This time Iestyn went with **** and Bob and I fished with Alan and Derek. We moved around the same areas and tried new drifts but there were no concentrations of fish like the previous day. Alan was first to strike with his home made “radioactive snot” coloured SP lure.

The fishing was slow but Alan kept putting us on more and more ground and it paid off as the number of fish coming to the boat rose steadily.

Best fish of the day was a beauty caught by Derek, which I think weighed in at around 4 1/2lb…correct me if I’m wrong lads.

Even the cuttlefish were rising from the bottom to have a go at my surface lures. Total for the day was 9 Bass on our boat with everyone getting 3 fish and 8 Bass from ****’s boat. All too soon we were heading back to the Harbour. 2 days and 33 Bass what a fantastic weekend.

The night shift crew........

Apologies to all if this is a little too long but I could have written a book about the trip it was just brilliant. A huge thanks to all who helped us and everyone we met, both Iestyn and I had an absolute ball, learned lots and made some great new friends.

Big thanks also to Iestyn who was great company even after all the sleep deprivation...;-)

Iestyn, I didn't have any of your photo's so please feel free to add them along with a link to your blog.

For those who didn't buy any raffle tickets...you missed the chance of winning a weekend with lots of Bass, fantastic company and the best guides....If we have another raffle next year don't miss out on the chance I guarantee it will make your season.......:-D:-D:-D:-D
For the rest of you YES I will be buying more tickets next year and NO I won't be the slightest embarrassed if I win....Keeping my fingers crossed....:-D:-D:-D:-D

Tight Lines...Trev.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
What a fantastic write up Trev , it was great meeting both yourself & Iestyn let alone fishing alongside the pair of you on each day , what a laugh we had !! Oh yeah you forgot to mention the big baby black back you caught fair & square that gave **** a right good pecking . looking forward to meeting up again sometime soon ...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob said:
Oh yeah you for got to mention the big baby black back you caught fair & square that gave **** a right good pecking .
That one was for volume 2 Bob....and was being kind to ****. True it did give me the best fight of the weekend 40 yard seering runs but happily only lightly lip hooked and eventually flew off none the worse for wear.......:oops::oops:

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
fantastic prize and a great report well done to everyone involved.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alan,
How can you moan when I look like the Michelin man...:shock::shock::shock: :-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keeping that a secret Alan...come to think of it so are you....When you get a minute can you write down the recipe I'd love to get the wife to try it she's like me and loves this type of soup.....:-D:-D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Great report Trev. Top guys (and doll Nicola) on that island.
Can't wait too go again.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning report Trev and one of the most enjoyable I have read for a long time, can't wait to get over there myself in a couple of weeks :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Trev, cracking report and well done to you and Iestyn for the results.

Look forward to catchin up with you soon ............. even though it looks as though it's gonna cost me dearly! I have no idea where the Zimmer bits came from but, if the cap fits ha ha!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice one Trev. If Scott's busy next year after you win the raffle again, I would be happy to keep you company :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts