2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start Bonne Nuit 7:00 pm

Bouley Bay

St Catherines

Finish Town Harbour 11:00 pm

1 point per fish + 1 point per species.

eg:

Anglers fish approx 50 minutes each mark. Organiser calls 10 minutes and 5 minutes to go.

Bonne Nuit. catches 1 X pout , 1 X Pollack = 4 points

Bouley Bay, 1 X Pollack = 1 point because species already exists in overall catch.

St Catherines, 1 X Pout, 2 X Pollack, 1 X Smelt = 5 points ( 4 X 1 fish points + 1 new species point)

etc...

Everything, even mini species count. Everyone is welcome, previous experience with soft plastics NOT required as instruction
will be given. Its just for fun and I haven't caught at every harbour yet either.

Points too are just for fun. I'm really interested to see what CAN be caught.
Lifts will most likely be available so just ask if you lack transport.
We'll have a load of small SP's etc if people have nothing at all.

Hope you can make it. Bring a light.

It will be challenging but a blast I think.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a reminder...

2 weeks to go.

Try to turn up if you can. It is NOT a comp remember, just a bit of fun. Help available.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the weather holds in this pattern:

Meet as usual but, we'll modify the harbours fished.

St Cath's may be replaced with Rozel.

Either way, game on.

See you all there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
good luck with this tonight guys and I look forward to the reports, I may have to pop over for one of these meets sometime soon as I can hopefully use the excuse of sitting some Microsoft exams overthere to get a free trip from work, I just need to convince my boss about it.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
So about 15 of us braved the elements last night to try a LRF 4 harbour bumble. The weather conditions were not good at all for using such light tackle but the guys stuck to it. It is all part of the learning and I am sure before long we will realise that certain weather contitions dictata certain methods.

Anyway, back to the ins and outs of the evening. We all turned up at Bonne Nuit (Well I actually drove to Boulay Bay but there you go!!) and when I got there the guys had just started fishing. Doug said to me, as he was setting up, that he fancied the first lampost on the pier, I looked and said the water looked a bit shallow but off he went in the opposite direction to everyone else.

The weather was aweful, gusts of wind and drizzle made it hard to feel anything coming back up the line for most of the anglers.

Ironically these two anglers were formally known on forums as "The Squid" and "Eggy"

Jay Baudet got a nice place with the wind and rain straight in his face

And up on the top wall Mark, Keith and Kevin braved the elements with their backs to it

Callum and Richie were trying btwenn the boat mourings but I dont think they had a touch.

Al was quiet and we all soon realised it was going to hard, the weather was bad enough but the sea had coloured from gin clear a day ago to a lovely beige colour. All of a sudden we hear Dougie give a cry and a laugh...his first LRF fish, excellent his plan worked.

Doug was using a Cormoran 8FT ULF 1-9g with 15lb Powershot, a 4ft 6lb Flurocarbon leader with one swanshot about 3ft up from a size 8 sakura Mini Manta Hook and to finish it off a Berkeley Gulp V Tail about 1inch long. He caught one Pollack and dropped another.

Right, Time to move, everyone packed up and shot off to Boulay Bay (Deja vu).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLJE81TX9Mo

This video made me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9df-IMsONY

So we all spread out over the pier, bloody bait anglers in the best spots again but never mind. They must have been wondering what the hell was going on when about 8 cars all turned up at the same time and us lot piled out onto the pier.

Again the fishing was proving difficult, but the guys tried all the tricks they could. I might mention that none of the bait guys had caught anything apart from one guy that had 5 pollack on the float earlier when the tide was lower.

Chris displaying the art of light line fishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ieahtiYzs

So about 10 mins before the Boulay leg was over we here Gary "Eggy" give a shriek and he had a monster of a Scorpion fish, mental, and that proves just how hard the conditions were.

Ahh Gary-son, velly good,

Just as most of us were getting back in the cars we hear Kev on the back wall freaking out, so low and behold he has only gone a plucked a Rockling on his last retrieve!! Fair play to him.

So we all pile back in the cars and shoot off to Rozel, and the weather has improved by the way, its stopped raining at least. Once again we invade the pier and almost straight away I hear Chris shout out some blasphomy as he bumps a fish, I wont repeat what he said but it made everyone ina mile radius snigger.

20 mins into venue three then and Dougie gives it a big "Wheyhey" as his ULX bends in two and he is into a better fish.

There was a big creature lurking around in the shadows and I dont mean Keith, I mean this big squid or bass (it was hard to make out, looked like both at times but it was big) was just swimming round the harbour mouth being bombarded by every lure and squid jig on earth, it must have felt like a Lancaster bomber on its home run!!

Anyway, Doug shrieks out agian "Wheyhey!!!" and he hooks another one. He is on fire tonight.

Ten minutes later and back in the cars and heading off for the town harbour now. We decided on the old ferry ramp where the life boat moors up now. This spot is great in the summer when the scad and mackerel are practically leaping out the water onto dry land (Mike will know what I mean by this). But this time of year its a hard venue. The boys spread out and tried in all sorts of weird and wonderful places.

One step forward and Doug would have been plop, in with the jellyfish.

The Squid trying it tight between the pontoon and wall

I then noticed Keith had got himself into a right tight little spot so I climbed over some railings and ropes and watched him for ten minutes. Fair play to him, he had managed to get a couple of small takes from right under the bow of the life boat. I watched him catch two pollack there, it was great to watch and he explained what he was feeling through the rod as I listened.

Look at the bend in the rod and the splash from the Pollack as it crash dived into the depths ha ha, brilliant.

You do not realise how much effort went into catching this fish, Keith pulled out all the stops.

Sussed out but too late as the comp was nearly over he only goes and gets another

A quick chin wag and being told to get the fook away from the life boat by a security guard we all packed up and headed home. A great night, shame there were not so mant fish but the guys didnt give up, so hopefully the next one will show some more fish.

Here is the squid standing at a jaunty angle, just as I had asked him to, a good laugh and the pee being ripped by all, great night, thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice one guys,well done Doug nice to see you still have the old touch with the Pollock.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Good report and pics ****, Fishing is great when it's a bumble, loads involved, the same aims and a F**king good crack !

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Top report ****. Weather not so good but everyone seemed to be having a laugh.

Enjoyable reading it from the comfort of my dining room with a nice malt whisky to keep me warm.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well done doug, good to see the live well tank in the back of the motor didn't leak lol.

great night out, thanks to everyone who turned up, and a big thank you to **** for getting it on video and the pics that we're taken.

kev

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yeah, cheers guys it was a good night. Shame there wasn't many fish caught. However its was fun to see doug's rod go and to see The Squid getting slightly grumpy when his fishy came off! I think Callum has a couple of pictures too I'll ask him to post.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I think that was probably the hardest night I have done so far! I had a massive Les Dawson (blankety blank!).

Weather was absolutely awful, gusting to 6, that fine misty rain that gets you incredibly wet somehow. Fish were caught, but I was a bit gutted there were not more fish around as there has been on previous sessions. Would have been good to get everyone off the mark, but the spots had completely died a death compared to even the night previous? Strange.

Nevermind, will be out this week for revenge.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Added my blog report with some alternate pics and some borrowed from here...
http://www.jerseybassguides.com/bassfish/blog1.php

However, **** and Ritchie are sending me some others I think so will update.
My post bumble fish are included in the report. If you can help identify them ?

Let me just my thanks to those who have made LRF what it is today. This joint effort is changing British Lure fishing forever.
Thanks to everyone, and I mean, everyone from anglers, dealers, and forum posters who have contributed to the LRF/HRF threads.

What have we done ?

LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts