The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im sure it's probably been covered before but could someone give me a brief explanation of the different shapes of jig heads available. What difference do various shapes of heads make??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Mine field question that.

There are quite simply, a ton of jig head designs.
To be frank, most are using the wrong jigheads for the application.

The Bachi head has gained a reputation yet, it is totally wrong for most of our fishing. It is a tube skirt jig designed for tube baits.

The football head has thankfully gained a following for the HRF and people are using them correctly in most circumstances.
Many weedless heads are really awful. and have hooks that turn back on the gape. These are designed for 'worms' and not slug baits (xlayers, sluggos, etc)

The round ball is likely the best all rounder but...

There are 90 degree, 60 degree and in-line tie positions. 90 is great for HRF, 60 is better for shake-it styles and in-line better for retrieve styles and for retrieving through the tops of weed cover etc.

Stand up heads ? forget em, they don't really work unless you can guarantee a flat working platform.

There are quite a few discussions on here and on various internet sites. The best places to look re: jighead designs are Largemouth/Smallmouth Bass and Walleye sites.

As Britain catches up with soft lures, the overall knowledge will improve and, the use of certain tackle being adopted right now will change as we find what works and what doesn't. It's a natural progression.

Don't ignore jig head design thinking it's just a weighted hook because it's far, far from it and it WILL affect catch rates dramatically one way or the other.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Could not agree more with Keith`s reply. I am currently doing alot of tank testing, lake and river testing with a whole manner of jig head designs/shapes and it is a real eye opener how the lures ALL behave differently and will be a series of articles on my blog. Just to confirm it I was using a 12grm erie jig (stand-up type) on a recent trip and was getting very gentle tentative takes which I was not connecting with and only bumped fish, I swithched to a 12grm round head and caught 7 zander!! (lure was identical) I put the two in the tank when I got home and had quite a shock revelation!!! Will post my findings shortly........

·
Registered
131 Posts
So are we saying that you can fish small shads on football heads in heavy cover or will this knacker the shads action and stick to shad heads ??

·
Registered
4,137 Posts

The Bachi head has gained a reputation yet, it is totally wrong for most of our fishing. It is a tube skirt jig designed for tube ......
I thought it had something to do with Japanese and French anglers and guides rating it very highly and winning tournaments using it with XLayers?????

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine field question that.

The Bachi head has gained a reputation yet, it is totally wrong for most of our fishing. It is a tube skirt jig designed for tube baits.
Having purchased Bachi heads on the basis of conventional wisdom I agree they are unsuitable for the most common applications. Have to say I was scratching my head after using them as to why they are so highly recommended.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Conventional wisdom is the key phrase. It is not enough. You need confidence borne of success. There are no short cuts.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I thought it had something to do with Japanese and French anglers and guides rating it very highly and winning tournaments using it with XLayers?????
Maybe from the boat Paul. The angles involved suit any jig with a 90 degree tie.

From the shore, I don't rate the design. Xlayers mount nicely on them and they have great hooks but they are no good if they don't fish right.
Ask **** how much weed they collect over the nose fished in current bounced along the bottom. Round ball isn't immune but is way better imho.

And, this is, just my opinion. But it isn't based on anything other than actual use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Conventional wisdom is the key phrase. It is not enough. You need confidence borne of success. There are no short cuts.
Hi Paul

Confidence was'nt the issue. The exposed hook and protruding shape of the nose of the jig was the problem.

2 examples

For bottom bouncing in estuaries the bachi picked up weed when it hit the bottom rendering the presentation useless. (it was recommended for this application - conventional wisdom)
Fishing in mussel and kelp filled wrasse areas I got hung up on every drop

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I take your point on weed, but they suit me for midwater swinging, shore or boat. The long nose does give a certain action when you want it, that can't be ignored.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts

I wouldnt agree with that statement Keith, I was always lead to believe tube bait jig heads were tapered off at the rear to make the changing of them easier?? The Bachi is straight at the back, so probably not designed for tube bait use?? Maybe I am wrong though, as I only used tube baits a handful of times (and caught, surprisingly, as I didnt have a clue) and that was about 10 years ago.

I would agree though that all of us are still learning about jigheads and the types to use, the biggest learning curve of all though is if you are getting snagged alot then go lighter Different shapes seem to get snagged more than others, I personally find 90 degree hooks great for drifting/vertical use, when "walking the stairs" techniques work. 60 degree and nose ringed heads great for casting and retrive.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have been using those 'Molix' jig heads that **** sells and have found the shape and the fact that they have a very effective weed guard totally brilliant.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm not trying to turn this into a jighead war guys.

The Bachi WAS the most reliable hook and jig in Mrfish for an age and we all caught big Wrasse and decent Bass on them.
Paul's mentioned mid water swinging and I'd agree, they fall quickly and get any paddletail activated soon. Good for clearer water and warmer water with xlayers etc when a fast fall might grab the attention of a bass without showing it 'too much' lure.

I'm really trying to get the point over that you need a range of heads.
Bachi has limitations but so do they all. Round ball is without doubt the most versatile.
I use football for rough ground HRF with exposed hooks but for the stuff mentioned above with quick falling xlayers, football is the wrong choice.

It's a bit like float fishing on rivers, canals and lakes etc. A million float designs and yet, to beginners, a float is a float.
Like floats which i mastered over decades I'm starting to unravel jig head designs too but, it's taking time. It is a minefield and they can get expensive too.

remember, I'm fishing much more than most, perhaps 6 days a week so I'm enjoying an accelerated learning curve.
Not trying to upset anyone by telling them thier favourite jig head sucks or anything like that. I'm more trying to stop people falling into the traps we fell into last season.

Believe me, we probably still are making mistakes and some stuff I'm raving about now I might retract on a later date.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Very interesting thread! I have had reasonable success on Xlayers this year and this has led me to explore the world of soft plastics but not being a professional guide, my knowledge and experience is gained over the once/twice a week trips so my progress is slow (being dense doesnt help either!). Given that most of my fishing is from the shore over rough, relatively shallow ground, I have been using the Violence 3.5 gm jig heads for standard Xlayers and the Owner Sled heads in 5 -10 gm for the Giant Xlayers as weed can be a problem. I guess I can answer my own question to a degree as if I am catching, then they are working, but am I using the right jig heads and would I do better with the football/other type jigheads?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I'm not trying to turn this into a jighead war guys.
Neither was I Keith, it is just a worry when people say things that others can interprit as gospel, when its not. I agree with your last post, and many of the guys on here realise you are fishing 6 days a week and look at you for guidence, this is when we have to be really careful how we word things. Will there ever a be a concise explaination of how and when a jig head should be used.... I wish there was as I seriously need to read it.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
At the end of the day there are jigs which are designed for a "swim" type retreive and those for bouncing bottom.

Maybe we need that guide to what each jig head is supposed to do?? Is there one out there already maybe on a US bass site? I'm rubbish at finding that sort of thing.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Is there one out there already maybe on a US bass site? I'm rubbish at finding that sort of thing.
Just the sort of mission I need on a night shift!

Here's some, first from a Walleye site: http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/jig-head-design

Here's a PDF frrom Bassmaster : http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/newsletters/basstoday/i/head_games_web.pdf

An Aussie site: http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=234&articleId=5122&memberId=62741

It could go on forever, I'll leave it there for now for comments.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I must say that I dont like the 'Bachi' heads,,,,,because the design means that when they hit bottom or structure etc they have a tendency to "dig in" from the nose of the jig head.I would have thought that they were designed for fishing midd water styles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Decoy Bachi Heads SV 67: good quality, and considering this quality and finish, reasonably priced, in Japan that is (5x $5), but for bottom dwelling indeed meant to be inserted in tubes, as already mentioned by Keith above.

However you can use them also above bottom for creating a subsurface WTD (darting) with slugs and worms, although there are better ones available for this purpose: just have a look at the Dart Heads from Lunker City for example: simple, cheap (10x $5) but quite effective. But the Bachi Heads do have a slim ‘collar’ which makes them quite suited for using them this way on the more finesse style worms/slugs like the Charms of Bass Assassin for example.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts