The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking of experimenting with some Tiny Xlayers on my 7' Bushwhacker (10-30g). What weight, shape, hook size and make of jig head would you recomment that I start with?

All the best,
Tony.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Go to the AGM website, anyting say size 1/0 hook, 3g to 10g. alternatively Mr Fish has some really cool Reins jg heads in in the smaller sizes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The jig heads recommended by Jon will be fine for the job but I think you will find it nearly impossible/ or very difficult to fish them on your 10-30g rod, also I think you will need to use very light braid to try and keep in good contact with the lure.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I think Joe is right. The tiny xlayer is obviously pretty small, and you certainly dont want to overdo it hook size wise or weight wise. We were fishing them this winter anywhere from a Carolina rig with a couple of BB's, up to maybe 5g max. Def a lure suited to sub 7g heads, so the rod should obviously be chosen to match this. I also have a 7ft 10-30g Bushwhacker (best £30 I ever spent), and will fish it with 7g + standard size xlayer, wih fine braid at the least. Any less would be like fishing with thick gloves on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion Jon.

Joe, so what size jig heads and braid would you suggest? Is it a weight or diameter issue with the braid, or both? Would 15lb braid be too heavy on this rod?

All the best,

Tony.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The biggest head I've used with tiny xlayers with any real success is the Xorus Gobix. 6g I think.

To use that with the Bushwhacker would require a maximum of 10lb braid and a close cast.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Regarding the weight of the jig head, it all really depends on what sort of sink rate you want the lure to have. The best solution is to probably to Carolina rig them, and that way you will be able to adjust the weight according to the conditions, i.e. more weight if it is windy to keep better contact. 10-15lb braid should be fine, but I would not go any heavier. I am mainly a FW fisherman and have tried these in my local waters, and I found that they are very hard to keep contact with especially in flow. On tip is if you use bright coloured braid so that when the lure is sinking, if you don't have a tight line to the lure you will be able to see takes on the drop by the line moving. Otherwise if you want to always keep a tight line then just use a heavier jig head instead of carolina rigging them, I would not go any higher than 5g with the tiny x layer though.
Joe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm....this SP stuff is a bleeding minefield.

Do you think that I might be better off sticking to the Sidewinder Sandeels and Shads (28g) that I already have for the moment? I was trying to resist buying an LRF rod for the moment, but I fancied trying something small for the mackerel.

Any suggestions for something that I could try with the Bushwhacker and 15-20lb braid?

Also, anyone got a decent link to explain Carolina rigs to me?

Thanks for the advice guys.
Tony.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mackerel will take larger lures up to 4 inches so there still quiet a lot out there that would be suitable for use on your bushwhacker.

Most or the lures here (http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk...sdrop-shot-lures-c-39_103.html?page=1&sort=2a) would be fine when rigged on jig heads around 7g, and your bushwhacker would be able to control them, also this lure kit here is full of SP's that would work and your rod should be able to cope with:
http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16697.

Now for the carolina rig:
This link here explains it much better than I could try to:
http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging2.html
Obviously the hook size can be changed and instead of using a bullet type weight it can be replaced by split shot.
Hope this helps
Joe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links Joe. Great stuff. The rigs link is excellent. So that's what cone heads are for!!

Also, I particularly like the look of the 2" and 3.5" Panic Minnow Swimbait.

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/panic-minnow-swimbait-ghost-shad-10pcs-p-2043.html?osCsid=cj9n91oe4qi3ckned4qib6o3q4

They look just like the baitfish that I saw the mackies feeding on a couple of months ago. What sort of rod, line and jig heads would I need to use them?

I'm surprised that I haven't seen those Savage Gear lures before as I've been on the Harris site a few times recently. I'll take a closer look.

I've just started reading the Jersey Bass Guides site, something that I've been meaning to do over the last year, but put off doing due to my studies. So maybe I'll delay buying any more tackle until I've done a bit of research on there. I'll probably stick to wedges, Tobies and (Shhh) feathers for the mackerel until then.

Thanks again for your help.

Tony.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts