The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have used Bachi heads for most rough ground trundling bottom for wrasse sessions and they are excellent, seem to repel most attempts by moving rocks to grab hold of them but they do get stuck eventually. I have found other cheapo jig heads seem to get stuck much easier.

I understad that you're going to lose some gear doing this sort of thing but I want to minimise it. Not for loss of the jig heads, more the pricey SP's attached to them!!

The bachi seems to be vanishing from websites round the world, stock problems?? Something wrong at Decoy??

Anyway, what heads do other people use and how effective do you find them? I hav plety of the saltwater darter type from AGM but they seem to snag pretty easy and are more designed for a less snaggy retreive.

Cheers

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was thinking about making a mould and doing my own copies of the bachi style. The problem is finding a suitable hook pattern.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I prefer football heads (AGM) if I am using jighead as opposed to weighted hooks weedless (AGM/Homemade - yet to lose one yet still catching fish). You'll still snag with them, but they are more affordable than Bacchi Decoy ones, the hooks seem fine. I dont like the dart ones or even the Bacchi ones that much as they seem to dive so much quicker being more dense and streamlined, and can find the cracks more.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I find Bachi terrible in rough ground Andy.
However, great on gravel/sand with current.

Me and Kev prefer 'football' jigs. The owner ones are nice.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Interesting reading, I have been loosing quite a few Bachi heads lately, as I slow down my retrieve, more time sitting on the bottom etc...

I was wondering if Carolina rigs would be any better for reducing snagging, with the weight forward of the lure and hook, or using a cone head or similar. At least that way, when kit does get snagged lost, its juts the minimal cost of a small weight/shot and a hook, bead swivel etc... Just a little more time setting up again.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Andy I don't like bachi's over rough ground and at over a pound each it soon adds up, but i did notice over bare rock sometimes they did quite well I think its because they bounce quite high after striking but is it the exposed hook on them that catches the weed and gets you snagged?
I've been using a cone head and weedless hook recently which is good going through kelp, but they don't give you that nice 'clack' against rock that you get from a ball type head which sometimes triggers some good strikes.
Have you (or anyone else) used something like a Decoy nailbomb jighead which is a ball head but a weedless hook, (prolures do them but only in a 3.5gram which is lighter than I like) so you can get a nice bounce off rock but the hook isn't going to snag straight into a kelp stalk.
**** has Molix heads which have a brush weed guard which don't seem to snag that easily but they are 5g and I do like my 7's.
I must give the football (american) type a go.

It is an interesting topic.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
weird i find the bachi's are quite resilliant to rock snags too i think its because the eye is set back on the jig head whereas others with the eye at the front of the jighead get pulled further into a snag as apposed tho the bachi flips out arse over head but i do agree they do eventually get snagged.
as for weedless (texan style) they are ok up to maybe 10 g over rocky gound but when the heavier ones hit and knock rocks they hit nose first and the eye on most come off the nose so it busts or weakens your leader.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not been using bachis (other than the small size ones for LRF). Make my own football heads now from 2g up to an ounce or so, 7.5g 90% of the time with a 1/0 hook is plenty for the rockie bashing. Sometimes 3.5g.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have used Bachi heads for most rough ground trundling bottom for wrasse sessions and they are excellent, seem to repel most attempts by moving rocks to grab hold of them but they do get stuck eventually.Cheers

I've not been using bachis (other than the small size ones for LRF). Make my own football heads now from 2g up to an ounce or so, 7.5g 90% of the time with a 1/0 hook is plenty for the rockie bashing. Sometimes 3.5g.

???...........

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Bachi's also cost about £1 each and the homemade footballs about 10p so the bachis would have to be 10 times better to be worth it. they aren't.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i still buy them even though i get my jig heads for free its handy being a lead worker i get them in return for scrap lead he he

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i use the freebeis for rough reef money aside bachi's are better lol

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
No one is sayig the bachi is a bad jig head. It isn't.
I just don't use it in rough as bo**ocks ground.

I'm still not completely happy with what we are currently using either.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never a silly question!! Things all progress and change all the time, especially with those of us who fish too much (like me and Keith!!). I am pretty settled using football heads now for the wrasse fishing and shaky styles. Also use them for swimming and slow bumping bass soft lures, unless a shad head suits the lure better (e.g. a big hammer or sayori shad likes the shad head style where the one-up doesn't.

Round heads might well be just as good and better for some styles but I don't have a mould for those...

As for homemade everything, cost is restrictive unless you have loads of money, which I don't. Can't afford a pack of x-layers a trip which is what I go through with the wrasse eating them. they were also eating senko's, bubbling shads and even the rockvibes got bitten in half today. Pain in the rear end these rockies!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts