The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make their own jig heads and coat them? If so what hooks do you use? and what powder paint do you use?

(hooks need to have a 90 degree leg) I dont like the eagle claw jig hooks and the vmc`s seem are a little heavy in the gauge when making smaller 2,4 and 6grm heads!!

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
working on it m8.

We have experimented with powder coated heads and yes, for bottom contact stuff it makes a difference. Worth doing imho.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do It Molds supply a big colour range.

Don't buy Junebug. You don't need it.

Keith - have you ordered from theese guys as it states on their website that they contain flamables (the paint) and can only be shipped via the ground in the US only????

·
Registered
326 Posts
The postage do-it charge is a bit too expensive. You can get powder coat from a few places in the UK (including Ebay)

The do-it moulds are cheaper on Ebay.com than direct from do-it.

Some of the Mustad hooks they sell on their site are a bit crap, not tried the Eagle Claw hooks. **** has some Owner jig hooks in 2/0, 3/0 & 4/0

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Carriage IS expensive Liam !

However, when we order from them it's usually huge (size and weight) so it pans out.

Powder coat is fine by air just not flammable fluids.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The postage do-it charge is a bit too expensive. You can get powder coat from a few places in the UK (including Ebay)

The do-it moulds are cheaper on Ebay.com than direct from do-it.

Some of the Mustad hooks they sell on their site are a bit crap, not tried the Eagle Claw hooks. **** has some Owner jig hooks in 2/0, 3/0 & 4/0
Cheers Liam

Carriage IS expensive Liam !

However, when we order from them it's usually huge (size and weight) so it pans out.

Powder coat is fine by air just not flammable fluids.
cheers Keith

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've started using the matzuo sickle hooks
nice and sharp and I haven't straightened any yet (admittedly on 5lb powerpro as a mainline chances of straightening a hook are minimal ;-))

·
Registered
239 Posts
Got to go Owner or Gamakatsus for jig hooks. Can't stand VMCs/Mustad etc..

We've come a long way, we shouldn't have to accept crappy hooks any more!

If anyone finds somewhere in the UK that can do decent jigheads on these hooks please let me know!

·
Registered
297 Posts
David

Try Tommy Crenshaw on Ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/TCI-Fishing-Lures?_rdc=1
He'll do custom jobs with whatever hooks you want (if he can get them)

postage is a bit expensive but if you buy enough jig heads its still chepaer than buying a packet here and there

eg I bought 50 each 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 oz cost me less than $US 30 including postage
thats less than 20 c each
and got them in 4 days US to Ireland (and he apologised for the delay!)

he'll also powder paint them for a small fee

good guy, good business

Nick

Reactions: Mark Sleep
1 - 14 of 14 Posts