Jighead Painting ? | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Jighead Painting ?

Discussion in 'DIY & Home Made Lures' started by {name}, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Banned

I've got to admit, that after all the great advise given, I just didn't get round to having a go at powder coating, as time wasn't on my side, and spare time best used fishing anyway. Now the threads been resurrected, and you reckon you've had more success on painted jigheads Simon, then I will have a go at doing a paint job on a few Si, as we've just had a Range shop open near us that sells a lot of craft and hobby gear at a reasonable price. If I can get a few sgs heads painted today, then I may get the opportunity to test a few on Friday.

2. Pollock

i have found in the past the best way of painting jig heads is use a modelers paint ( games workshop) undercoat in white and pain over dry brushing etc then a clear varnish over the top. time consuming but for personal use killer mate. the paints are designed for very fine detail work

• Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

These are some of my home made jigheads that I powder coated using a fluid bed. The more air you get into the powder the thinner the coat and the better the detail is. These jigheads have small hook eyes anyway and I have to clean the excess paint out of them whilst they are still wet. I cure these in the oven after painting for 10mins and it hardens the paint but it still chips after 30 mins of bouncing along the river bed. I tried humbrol enamel paints. They are very good but don't last long where I use them. The best way to get a thin coat of powder paint is to airbrush it on. Fantastic results but it wastes a lot of paint.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Banned

Had a go with an oil based paint today. Prisme fantasy, by a company called Pebeo, which is supposed to give an egg shell finish. Tried the white, but far too transparent on drying. Will give Mikes method a try next. White primer, then model paint with a coat of pwb spray varnish to seal. I've watched a Utube video of the fluid bed powder coat method. Very good Andy, but would rather go down the brush on paint route if possible.

5. Banned

Eventually got round to experimenting while blanking at a rocky/barnacled Portland mark last week.
    Hand painted 3 SGS jigheads using Humbrol paints. 2 of which had a spray varnish applied as a sealer. The third (green sandeel colour) was sealed with a UV resin and this option appeared to withstand the battering better than the others. All the SGS were cast and retrieved 15 times (I did lose the real pearl version to the rocky terrain)

[​IMG]

The next pics show how an original pre-painted jighead compared with one of my paint jobs.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The better option of using the UV resin to seal, which is an expensive way of doing it, because of the initial outlay for the UV torch, but thought I'd try it anyway as I already had the UV kit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

If you are thinking about painting up the plain SGS jigheads, then don't forget to find a colour match for these babies. The new colours that are starting to show up on the shelves.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Had to have them, even though they will be filed in a draw until next season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Minnow

Can anyone advise me on where I can source some powder coat paint (heat and dip style) here in the U.K?. I'm making some 2 and 3 oz bucktail jigs and am looking for an easy to apply, and resilient finish .