The Lure Forums banner

Just a couple of pictures

1K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Keith White 
#1 ·
Of a new mark I went to at the weekend. It's a small bay with deep water in the middle, a tiny little mark to the far left of the bay and a slightly bigger mark at the far right end.

I wont bore you with the story of why there is some guy with his head in his hands in a couple of shots. He was having some "issues" I think whilst I was sussing out a new mark. The nerve of some people!

Both, imho, will only have a small window of opportunity (unless it's a 4+ tide because I don't own waders or boots) for about 90 minutes on the flood up to high tide with something like a Feed Shallow. Now I don't own a FS so after I finish this post its off to the new Mr Fish website for a gander. The left hand mark has a lot of white water so it will have to be something with chartreuse or orange colouring. I guess I'll get down there 2 hours before high, try some sinking minnows in the middle of the bay, for practice as much as anything else, and then share the time equally at the little marks at each end of the bay.

Boring post I know, but at least it gives you something to look at whilst you're at work. Water Sky Cloud Coastal and oceanic landforms Horizon
Water Sky Water resources Nature Azure
Water Sky Azure Natural landscape Beach
Water Sky Fluid Coastal and oceanic landforms Natural landscape
Water Sky Natural landscape Watercourse Terrain

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I gotta go back to the IOW this year, Ventnor looks very promising!

I'm very familiar with the isle, my parents used to take my brother and I there twice EVERY year until we were about 16 (and I have been back since) Never fished it though. I'll have to make sure I correct that sometime soon. :)

#9 ·
Ventnor: There is a car park along the sea front just up the hill. You can go either left or right along the rocky shore, either way is good. You can fish later into the tide here. Walk along the shoreline past the Spyglass, heading towards St.Catherines lighthouse ... all the way along there are small coves and lovely areas for plugging. Or at the other end of the seafront as you come down the hill, near the harbour, walking towards Bonchurch.

#10 ·
Cheers James

What other areas are worth looking at on the island? I'm guessing there are a few good spots near the needles and along the military road near brighstone and brook but are there any gems tucked away?
Looks like nice ground up near bouldner and possibly nettlestone?

Had quite a few stays in Whitecliff bay and the patch of rocks over near the cliffs was always full of crab from what I remember as a kid.

Come to think of it I might just up and move there! You lucky bugger

#14 ·
James was that the guy on the mountain bike who told you to FO? I think I remember reading a post somewhere else maybe?
Looking at your pics I think I know why he might have been having issues - he'd missed the ferry. :)

Nice mark by the way.

#15 ·
One word...

crankbait
Hi Keith for the less experienced why do you suggest a Crank bait ?

Brian
This is how i would read his comment Brian:
Crank baits are lures that run under the water and only need to be retrieved with a steady motion to catch fish. Crank baits come in many different forms: floaters, countdowns, shallow running, and deep running are a few examples. Crank baits are versatile and will help you fish a big body of water in a short time. The wide variety of lures allow the fisherman to target fish anywhere in the water column.

#17 ·
Got a feeling he might be on about bottom-bouncing a bait Nath? With the bottom being fairly even with small boulders etc, it'll be possible (maybe) to retrieve a diving bait that just trips the bottom (crankbaits will swim nose down and trip the bottom without the hooks catching). This will attract a lot of attention as it bounces off rocks on the retireve. This'll help in the coloured-ish water too. Totally depends on the amount of weed on those rocks though I reckon.

Coarse, I may be totally wrong, but knowing Keith....?!

#19 ·
Got a feeling he might be on about bottom-bouncing a bait Nath? With the bottom being fairly even with small boulders etc, it'll be possible (maybe) to retrieve a diving bait that just trips the bottom (crankbaits will swim nose down and trip the bottom without the hooks catching). This will attract a lot of attention as it bounces off rocks on the retireve. This'll help in the coloured-ish water too. Totally depends on the amount of weed on those rocks though I reckon.

I have heard Keith recommend making a racket over boulders....

#21 ·

ben,

your on the money mate

kev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.