The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was so good to be out again walking dawn the beach with a lure rod in my hand and the sun shining down on me. I was heading for Graysands just as the tide was starting to flood, as i made my first few casts i looked down into the margins and noticed some silver flashes of small baitfish moving around the freshly submerged seaweed a few feet in front of me. The water was a little coloured but not enough to dampen my confidence, the scene in front of me was so perfect i just had to get a take, i totally forgot that it was still a little early in the year. My choice of lure to start with was big loud and bright for getting maximum attention as I figured that the bass might be preoccupied on peeling crabs. I went for a tideminnow 175 flyer in holographic white. I fished on for a few hours without any sign of a bass as reality hit home that it probably wasnt going to happen yet. At one point just as the lure came into site i noticed four or five fish following, not big about mackerel sort of size, I didn't see what they where. At heighwater just on sunset i got SMASHED, by now id made my way back to westward ho rocks, It was only on for a second and on retrieving my green sandeel feed shallow lure there were some bassy looking scales on the middle treble. That got the blood moving i can tell you. A short while later i got hit again, but unfortunately this turned out to be a mullet of about one and a half pounds hooked in the tail. So in the end i blanked on the bass front witch wasn't really surprising, but iv still had a really good day at the seaside and iv caught the sun. I reckon in a month or so we'll be into them, lets hope the weather holds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O i almost forgot there was a guy using peeler crab as bait and he said he had a bass today, about a foot long when i asked him how big was it.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Enjoyable session to get you started by the sounds of it Toby. It is very encouraging when you see baitfish flashing in the margins, it certainly makes you concentrate more.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Toby! Won't be long now. I reckon 2 weeks should do it. Assuming we get a bit of swell eventually, I think the next set of spring lows will be the ones!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Ben, I notice there are big tides again in a fortnight, lets hope they bring some bass up to this area. Are you familiar with westward Ho? Is there much happening down in Cornwall yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Nice report Toby.
Bait fish are starting to show now as you mentioned. There are a few bass around but not too many. One 9lb 7oz was taken the other day on the lure but he was fishing out of a boat apparently!.
Another two weeks on the springs it will be hotting up. They seem a little late this year as I had a least a dozen over 5lb by this time last year on lures.
I'm sure we will cross paths and bump into each other at some marks this year. Good luck for the season.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great report Toby
Nice to see that wacky ho is providing some entertainment. You did better than I did yesterday. Wont be long.....................

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've never fished up your way Toby. Probably will soon though. Nothing much happening (bass wise) at the moment. Although it's probably just a matter of days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts