The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a early start today and the idea was to catch a few bass.Haven't been out for them for a while as the wrasse have had all my attention lately.Anyhow the going was a little tuff,it seems most of the bass are on night shift.LOTS of weed about and thousands of sandeels.Had a few schoolies 2.5 lbs to about 3.5lbs on the weighted reg gill.

I was working a run about 12 oot deep,red gill close to the bottom,I could see it clearly in the clean water when a massive wrasse rolled close to it but did not grab it.I quickly changed rods to my wrasse set up and was amazed at how many were down there.I lost count as to how many I had but learnt something by being able to see the takes.The bottom was a mixture of kelp sand and I was boucing my jelly on the bottom.

Some of the wrasse takes were just aggressive engulfing the jelly straight away but some would nip at it which is the types of bites I'm familiar with HRF.This last type of bite looked more like a fish displaying some type of territorial behaviour pattern.I found that by lifting the jig head slowly about 0.5m away then dropping it fast brought on an aggressive take.

Never saw the big one again but had a few this size and some a brilliant red colour.

The wrasse stopped biting as the tide went slack.

Back to the bass,had a few more with this one coming out tops.

Another difficult but enjoyable day

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Sounds like a great session there, and two absolute beauties ... well done!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great report.

Well done m8.
On the next full moons, follow us out with the Kayak m8.
We'll arrange it. It's a shame that these tides are leaving the push so early in the morning as daylight is breaking.
Had 7 last night again to drifted Senko's. Bass everywhere again.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The green ones are the best imho.
It's a really weird green too in some cases. Like there is a base coat underneath.

Gotta love Wrasse colours.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah those green ones are the best,if I could choose a big one to catch its gotta be one of them.

Keith I'm up for that full moon session,we got to arrange it.

Yeah it was not that difficult session in the end as I did catch fish. I think were very fortunate over here,was out for 8 hours though (as my wife kindly reminded me this morning)LOL.

Cheers Steve

·
Registered
323 Posts
why do you target wrasse they get used for bait or crab pots here you can catch wobbegongs on a fillet of wrasse ie carpet shark but they are prettyfish

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
why do you target wrasse they get used for bait or crab pots here you can catch wobbegongs on a fillet of wrasse ie carpet shark but they are prettyfish
-They fight like demons
-They provide a viable target due to their comparative abundance compared to other species, whilst still providing a good challenge
-They readily take lures
-Every fish has a personality and a different colour scheme
-There is potential to get VERY big Wrasse on lightish lure tactics, dare I say it, a british record isn't out of the question.

ALL the Wrasse taken by those of us over here are returned. They have little commercial value and are not great eating. They are also v e r y slow growing. It's true that some potters use them as pot bait, and they are sometimes used as bait for Conger etc.

But all taken into account, I reckon the Wrasse isn't far off the best lure viable sportfish we have!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wrasse are great fighters. Excellent sport on balanced gear. They're also relatively easy to target (at least they are in the Channel Islands).

Sadly, they are used more and more commonly as pot bait. Shame really, as they are quite slow growing and I understand a 10lber (if such a ballan wrasse exists) would likely be 35 years old or more.

Gary

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
They are quite slow growing and I understand a 10lber (if such a ballan wrasse exists) would likely be 35 years old or more.

Gary
Yes, they are used. But, thankfully, BIG Wrasse are out there and the general rockfish population is still largely intact despite commercial greed and disregard.
I have seen, actually seen some HUGE rockfish recently. Last night I saw one an easy 8lb and that's being conservative AND allowing for mask magnification. It was so bold i had my hand inches away from it to get some scale. Really, gnarly like an old oak tree it was. In fact, most really big ones do look like that ime.

A very dark fish too and I know where he lives.

·
Registered
323 Posts
intresting so the whiting have gone what about snipe they take lures or have they been stripped by comercials like plaice you have good numbers of squid a freind caught 60 plus of the town harbour last year when i was overso plenty of food source so where are they????

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
intresting so the whiting have gone what about snipe they take lures or have they been stripped by comercials like plaice you have good numbers of squid a freind caught 60 plus of the town harbour last year when i was overso plenty of food source so where are they????
Hi Peter

Whiting of any size very rare from the shore, plenty of Snipe about which can be fun on very light (LRF) gear. Plaice have not recovered, not sure they will to be honest, and yes, lots of squid. Not just in the autumn either. None of them can be compared to Wrasse as viable lure targets though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
over here the wrasse murder s/p and nip the tails of very frustrating and expensive same there?so i will only need to bring 2 rod's next year bugger

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-They fight like demons
-They provide a viable target due to their comparative abundance compared to other species, whilst still providing a good challenge
-They readily take lures
-Every fish has a personality and a different colour scheme
-There is potential to get VERY big Wrasse on lightish lure tactics, dare I say it, a british record isn't out of the question.

ALL the Wrasse taken by those of us over here are returned. They have little commercial value and are not great eating. They are also v e r y slow growing. It's true that some potters use them as pot bait, and they are sometimes used as bait for Conger etc.

But all taken into account, I reckon the Wrasse isn't far off the best lure viable sportfish we have!
Cheers Mark,cant add much to that except that I fish for wrasse because I'm a fishing addict and if its a wrasse putting a bend in my rod than so be it.All wrasse are returned as are the majority of most of of the fish I catch.

Strange question Peter

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have got to admit, I take a much more relaxed (lazy) approach to the HRF when targeting Wrasse. I dont get so absorbed into tide size, weather conditions etc. I find I can still pretty much expect some action if I go to rough ground with water over it and fish the right way, whereas with Bass, I used to get too carried away with when and where I would go. Its so nice to be able to go out and get action quite easily with them.

And Pete, yep, they like to destroy SP's. I am sure they prefer to destroy the xlayers. Have a look at the 'HRF' threads. We also have a forum comp for biggest Wrasse on an SP, though I forget who is winning that... :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have got to admit, I take a much more relaxed (lazy) approach to the HRF when targeting Wrasse. I dont get so absorbed into tide size, weather conditions etc. I find I can still pretty much expect some action if I go to rough ground with water over it and fish the right way, whereas with Bass, I used to get too carried away with when and where I would go. Its so nice to be able to go out and get action quite easily with them.

And Pete, yep, they like to destroy SP's. I am sure they prefer to destroy the xlayers. Have a look at the 'HRF' threads. We also have a forum comp for biggest Wrasse on an SP, though I forget who is winning that... :)
I'd agree with that. Although there are hotter times for sure, you can just 'go fishing' HRF and pretty much expect to catch fish.

You know exactly who is winning but....

There is still plenty of time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts