The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out last night to test out my gear as I'm really keen on this.Never got the go ahead for a van Staal (working on it)so needed a plan.Bought the cheapest reel possible just for simplicity.The reel I totally stripped in 5 minutes,perfect for after action,clean and grease...(well thats the plan).

Went down St Ouens.Never did see any or catch any size wrasse on the low tide but learnt alot from what I need

* Standard hrf rod is not suitable,need to be stiffer (maybe shorter) as the water forces acting on it make it to bendy

Came accross this fellow,sadly moved on.

Did have another trigger reduced my lure to shreds,almost has him,maybe next time.

As the tide came in the wrasse appreared and caught a dozen or so from the yak,boy do they love white Berkley sandworms.Been using smaller baits and finding I'm catching more fish.

well thats it,nothing fancy,just fishing :-D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm interested in the Trigger ?

Was the attack on a soft lure ? and what type, colour, size.
I've caught 9 Triggers on lures to date but, all on floating hard plastic. Attacks !! happening just as the lure is floating up on a pause.

Are you now equipped for a skish ? Be careful doing that alone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm interested in the Trigger ?

Was the attack on a soft lure ? and what type, colour, size.
I've caught 9 Triggers on lures to date but, all on floating hard plastic. Attacks !! happening just as the lure is floating up on a pause.

Are you now equipped for a skish ? Be careful doing that alone.
The leather jacket in question was similiar to the one in the pic Keith , light brown with 2 slightly whiter bars vertically down the body.Was using a 6" white berkely sand worm,sink and draw over a dark patch.Felt a bump,said to myself,strange bump that was,bump,bump.Reeled in slowly to find the trigger in persuit.Dropped the jighead(1" sand worm left) as it came down on the ark....Well almost had him,had a good bend in the rod but hook wasn't set.Thats when he lost interest.Will have a rod prepared next time if I fish the same place.One dead one and that one,got to be more about.Had a school of them swim past me on the east coast a few years back when I was wading,wasn't interested in catching them,how things change.

As far as the skish goes Keith need to do some more trials from my kayak(mask/wrasse) then I will be ready for some serious skish/coaching.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The leather jacket in question was similiar to the one in the pic Keith , light brown with 2 slightly whiter bars vertically down the body.Was using a 6" white berkely sand worm,sink and draw over a dark patch.Felt a bump,said to myself,strange bump that was,bump,bump.Reeled in slowly to find the trigger in persuit.Dropped the jighead(1" sand worm left) as it came down on the ark....Well almost had him,had a good bend in the rod but hook wasn't set.Thats when he lost interest.Will have a rod prepared next time if I fish the same place.One dead one and that one,got to be more about.Had a school of them swim past me on the east coast a few years back when I was wading,wasn't interested in catching them,how things change.

As far as the skish goes Keith need to do some more trials from my kayak(mask/wrasse) then I will be ready for some serious skish/coaching.
Cheers for the reply on how the fish behaved around the lure. It's only by compiling this stuff that we'll nail it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts