The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We hit our first mark around 9am this morning (after George's haircut!) and although the water just either side of the beach was quite clear, the area we wanted to fish was pretty murky. There was a fair swell but nothing to worry about, it was the visibility that made us move. We did have a go on the reefs on one side of the beach which looked terrific and I was surprised we didn’t even move a fish.

We then headed up to a sheltered mark just up the coast and fished some rocky ledges before climbing over to a deep water point around high water. I managed a bass of 45cm in the deep water just inside the point, using a 4 "Senko worm fished on the drop. It went like stink and I was amazed it wasn’t bigger when I landed it. Cleanly hooked in the top lip, it was easy to return. I was doing precisely nothing with the lure when the fish simply hammered it. We then went back inside to the rocky ledges but nothing showed despite great water clarity (2-3m easy). So last port of call was the sandy beach in the Bay as the tide dropped. I hooked a schoolie on a Feed Shallow just off the front of the beach but that was it. Disappointing really given the conditions as it promised much more. We caught but 2 hook-ups in 6 hours isn’t brilliant.

However, my first fish on a Senko and on the drop. Hoorah! Some of you will know where this is. Gorgeous isn't it?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great stuff, nice looking fish :-D

·
Registered
865 Posts
nice one mate and good pics! have you had much luck with the senko's, av tried them a few times but they seem pretty lifless even when worked hard??

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice one guys,love the pic tim...very postcard.Is that the hitachi again tim?
Yep.

Great stuff, nice looking fish :-D
Cheers, Steve.

nice one mate and good pics! have you had much luck with the senko's, av tried them a few times but they seem pretty lifless even when worked hard??
That's the point - I wasn't working it at all. Deep drop off/ledge. Flicked out 10 yards and let fall through the water column. Fish slammed it when I wasn't working it with rod or reel.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Nice fish Tim, another string to your bow with that catch eh? Nice looking pics, looks like very nice ground. Hows the water clarity, looks quite good.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice fish Tim, another string to your bow with that catch eh? Nice looking pics, looks like very nice ground. Hows the water clarity, looks quite good.
Cheers, Mike. Yes, first one I've caught on this method and the terrain called for it as it was way deep off the point. Clarity in this area was terrific today as it goes - shame we couldn't catch more. Always a nice place to be even when the fishing is slow so was worth being in the doghouse when I got hime late!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice report Tim....a bit of variety in the locations and the methods... Nice to see....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cracking, well done Tim. At least you did better than we did last week.

Its a lovely mark, if I remember right, the inside fishes best over high and late evenings are excellent.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nice work Tim in tough conditions. Nice to catch on a new method. Must admit that i'm not sure where that location is though - looks lovely though.

Well worth getting in the dog-house. Luke & i were late home last night (just after 10pm, having left the house at 2:30am) - i thought we'd be in for a bit of grief, but luckily, she'd had a couple of glasses of wine, so we got away with it ;). Happy days :D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes I am impressed and thanks for sharing this Senko story with everyone.
Sometimes, (most times), doing nothing is everything.

It's great when people try new stuff especially after I've done an article (which I hope helped).
The credit is all yours Tim but hearing that it works for others just reinforces the method and thus, inspires me too.

Well done.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice one Tim.

Did you rig it 'wacky'? Were you using any additional weight?
Mark, I just threaded the senko part way onto the hook and let the longer unthreaded part "wag" in the current. No additional weight necessary as these are salted and sink fairly fast under their own weight. Was great as the water was so clear I could watch it down to at least 3 or 4 metres and see how it behaved. Didn't see the take sadly as I was looking over my shoulder talking to George and almost had the rod wrenched out of my hand!
The lure was the 4" Salt & Pepper Senko Stix lure from AGM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts