The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to Watamu in Kenya in 2 weeks time,have already booked some offshore fishing,i was wondering what the availability of small inshore boats was like,self drive if poss.Also any advice on what lures to take,travel advice,currency,the natives,handy hints,is it easy to get decent snorkel, mask,flippers.Bartering tips in fact anything whether practical or knowledgable.Its a first time in Africa for me so the more info i can get the better.
Dave Irving(Tunny) has already been really helpful, hopefully Dave will have a few more tips.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Off to Watamu in Kenya in 2 weeks time,have already booked some offshore fishing,i was wondering what the availability of small inshore boats was like,self drive if poss.Also any advice on what lures to take,travel advice,currency,the natives,handy hints,is it easy to get decent snorkel, mask,flippers.Bartering tips in fact anything whether practical or knowledgable.Its a first time in Africa for me so the more info i can get the better.
Dave Irving(Tunny) has already been really helpful, hopefully Dave will have a few more tips.
Steve try the local Pirates they may loan you a boat !!!!! but dont expect to come back, unless you can raise the ransom payment.....!!!!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Steve,
Right small boat, yeap not a problem, however MAKE VARY SURE THEY UNDERSTAND you want to troll. Your paying so don't be afraid to tell them where you want to go, normally they will troll the area between the outside of the reef, and the start of the true blue water. Watch the birds, head in the direction they are if you can, they will lead you to the fish. No self drive where I was, and given the nature of the reef, I wouldn't want to play skipper.
Lures, take a varity of sizes, mainly deep 6' plus runners, some small jigs (10g and 15g halco twisty were spot on for the small tuna), I would throw in a couple of popper (yo-zuri hydro tiger 105mm caught a few cuda). Take some single strand wire, and 40/50lb in case you run into the razor gang. E|ven the rivers might be worth a look, I saw some huge ladyfish in a fish market on the last day!! Great sport if you can find them-halco twisty's will get them.
Loads of good snorkelling, easier to take your own mask/fins. You can hire a sail boat off the beach, they will know the best places to dive, be aware that many of the best dive/snorkling site will require you to pay a fee to visit-they don't miss a trick. Bartering, well decide what you want to pay, and walk away if they aren't interested in selling, odds are they will take your money the next day. Pounds sterling cash wise is fine, and it is easy to find someone to change it into Shillings when you need it-USE THE SAFE IN YOUR ROOM FOR ANYTHING OF VALUE!! phones, camera, reels etc.
Most of the locals are fine, any problems get one of the security guys from the hotel (you will see them on the beach and in front of the hotel.
Any other question just give me a shout.

Oh and have a great time, recent reports say the fishing is red hot right now, lots of marlin Strip/Blue. If your out on Alleycat, you will have the very best chance of seeing them up close.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for all the advice Dave.
Alleycat was booked up i'm afraid but he runs a 2nd boat called Aleida skippered by his ex 1st mate.Peter said if he gets a cancellation he will fit me in,also i may have a chance of a swordfish trip.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Simon, If pete reconmends him, it would be fine by me. Hope you get the chance to meet Pete. He is one of kind, I have fished with alot of skippers over the years, and he is the real deal. Plus he has a wicked (filthy) sense of humor. He takes every minute without a strike personally, catching marlin means that much to him.
Lure wise, I would try and catch small tuna, on jigs, and then bridle them. EVERYTHING loves a bite sized tuna. But the lures Alex mentioned would probably hold there own out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts