The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
One day a few years back I was fishing 100 metres off the Old Head of Kinsale in a boat when a couple of killer whales rose next to the boat .
The smaller of the pair which was still BIG circled the boat blowing out of the blow hole . She, i always presumed it was the female ? , was about eight to ten metres away from me and there was certainly no question as to what it was , these were two killer whales just off the shoreline and they were effing big!
To be honest i was fairly relieved when they left , i worried the hunter was going to become the hunted , thank f**k i wasn't swimming . To this day it is still one of the most surreal experiences i've had while fishing............. How many are swimming around so close to shore without getting spotted?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Austen they are a familiar sight off the Cornish coast this time of year. I have seen them many times fishing out of Mevagissey, i think they are chasing the Mackerel shoals that are moving west around now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One day a few years back I was fishing 100 metres off the Old Head of Kinsale in a boat when a couple of killer whales rose next to the boat .
The smaller of the pair which was still BIG circled the boat blowing out of the blow hole . She, i always presumed it was the female ? , was about eight to ten metres away from me and there was certainly no question as to what it was , these were two killer whales just off the shoreline and they were effing big!
To be honest i was fairly relieved when they left , i worried the hunter was going to become the hunted , thank f**k i wasn't swimming . To this day it is still one of the most surreal experiences i've had while fishing............. How many are swimming around so close to shore without getting spotted?
Awsome !!, that must have been some sight. Did you get any pics?, would love to see them.
Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are to experience these things. Most of the people who i work with have never seen a dolphin in the wild let alone a killer whale. I can imagine it would have been a bit of a hairy experience though!!!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Last years trip to Norway for the jersey guys Steve Mullins etc , got video footage of a pod of Orcas ... bloody fantastic to watch it they got so close .

This years trip up there we looked and looked for them but never even saw them !! so what a bonus on a trip up there

·
Registered
186 Posts
Awsome !!, that must have been some sight. Did you get any pics?, would love to see them.
Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are to experience these things. Most of the people who i work with have never seen a dolphin in the wild let alone a killer whale. I can imagine it would have been a bit of a hairy experience though!!!
Unfortunately I don't have any photos , I'm a bit slow in that department and have only owned a camera for 18 months , a water proof one i bought to take photos of the dolphins. Haven't used it for that yet either but its coming in handy for the bassing now.. I know what you mean about how lucky we are to experience these things , i'll never understand people who don't enjoy the countryside/sea..............

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Would love to see that I think we would be very surprised to know the true extent of the amazing marine life around our coast

·
Registered
949 Posts
I heard there was a big pod of these in Cork harbour a couple of years ago for a week or so.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Oz, as otheres have said, I think they are seen quite often off cornwall, I remember a young one stranding on Swanpool Beach in Falmouth many moons ago!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your right Ian, a pod entered the river lee and could be seen from the city streets.

I often see fin and humpback whales around west cork, but i put the time in watching. The Scottish pod of killer whales were around west cork this summer just travelling through.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I guess that it has nothing to do with Nath's Seal skin speedo's?????

Note to self, no deep wading in Cornwall, and where can I get a penguin plug from????

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Maybe not a penguin, but maybe...............

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Now if I could just talk Nathan into swimming out into deep water with it........(there is never an evil smilely when you need one)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts