1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
People:Barry h, Pat and myself

Duration: 6am - 4pm

Tide:falling - rising

Weather: Slight Northeasterly breeze, hazy sunshine.

Bait:Soft plastics

Rigs: Light Jig Heads

Results: See below/Blog

Report:

An absolutley fatastic day to be out on the water..

Well as planned the three of us steamed out of Kilmore harbour at 6am. Neap tides and light North Easterly winds allowed us to investigate how the light tackle would cope in deeper water. Target species would be the same, i.e. any predators that would attack a moving soft plasitic on a light jig head.

Previously we have light tackle fished water up to depths of 40 feet to great effect when conditions allowed, today the depths we targeted were ranging from 60, to just over 100 feet. It took a while to find the correct type of ground we could fish effectively, blindly dropping your lure over the side of the boat is not going to get you anywhere, so a keen eye on the depth sounder is required.

Once we found found suitable ground the fishing got going with Pat taking the first 3 fish all over 5lb, fine lumps of Pollock that refused to come to the boat without a good quality fight. They had a good depth advanatge and they used it very well, doubling up the light rods
and stripping line off the 4000 sized reels. Great Craic !
Barry was next in, a fine Wrasse smashed his lure and was digging in like a tick, eventualy Barry got the better of him and eased him up throught the depths, another fine fish of 3lb on board.
I was playing 'Guinness card'..... good things come to those who wait (OK so I hadnt had a tap all morning! ) until a 6lb + Pollock smashed me on an underwater ledge, epic fight on the light gear, up and down like a demented yoyo...brilliant stuff altogether.
A triple hook up was on the cards soon after with Pollock taking a serious liking to the lures, a good bit of banter ensued on who had the best corner of the boat!

The fishing continued with a good stamp of fish all above 3lb, which was an improvement on our last outing, granted we were in a different area/depth. Pat landed a lovely Wrasse in the afternoon, 5lb and a half pound of madness, that fight lasted awhile. A quality fish by anyones standards and to land it on such light gear..hats off to him. Your codding me.. the man does it again...Barry always gets a Cod ! A lovely 5lb fish took a liking to the purple and black lure and put a smile on Barrys face, and I let off few chosing words for good measure lol ! (seriously he always gets a decent Cod !)

Ok, the fishing was great but it took a bit of work to find good ambush ground.

We even got a mention over the airways by the charters

We found the most successful colours for the day were Aurora Shad and Aniseed.

22g jig heads were adequate to get to the bottom as long as we used a lure with a slim profile.

The light tackle handled the fish very well in the depth, a slight drag adjustment was all that was required really.

Its only early April and the fishing is quality, cant wait for the summer to roll in !

More pictures from today and a funny incident! can be seen here:
http://dannymeagher.wordpress.com/

Danny.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Danny and well done to all of you, sounds like you had a fantastic day !

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Fine report, great pics and a super day's fishing on light gear. Nice work lads. What lures were you you using Xlayers?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Superb report.
Really refreshing to be reading multi species catch reports from guys who are all open to trying new stuff.
Brilliant.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Good man Danny for doing the report i was gonna do one in the morning,
As said weather was spot on
The 22 g jiggers were doing the buisness today in the deeper water, with the 0.15 power shot reeling them in
Xlayers were the lure of the day with Emerauld colour performing really well as the day brightened up and the aurora shad colour working best in lower light conditions,
Great to be fishing the deeper water with success to have better sport with the fish great runs from them pollock and wrass on the lighter gear, all in all a great day out roll on summer time..

Attachments

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
What a great days fishing lads, well done, looks like the weather was good and the craic too. Its interesting how light you were going with your jigheads in that depth of water......got me thinkin...... was there much tide there?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Looks like great fishing, I bet they pull a bit on light gear. Excellent fishing and is that real Irish weather?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Kilmore has some very strong tides with loads of reefs,rocky ground to choose from, Case of having to use the 22g jigs as they were the heaviest we had on the day even 18s were doing the trick up to 60/70 feet of water as long as you had something like the Xlayers on,anything deeper and the 22g were called for, shads just had to much pull in the current and you just had no contact with the lure , even though the tides were small this weekend,we were positioning the boat up tide of the reef we were targetting casting the uptide and by the time we were over where we new the fish were our lures were fishing vertical and bang fish on,it was a very small window of opportunity but done right we had fish of every drift....

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Looks like great fishing, I bet they pull a bit on light gear. Excellent fishing and is that real Irish weather?!?!?!
Rods bent all day with reels singing thier tune great sport in the deeper water where you could afford to let them run a little bit more without having to worry about the fish going to ground and breaking you off..
As for the weather its about time we got some sun shine with a little bit of heat to go with it even the winds were sack the last few days which made thing a lot more pleasurable, wont be long now till the westerlies stast to blow and bring in a few bass..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.