The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not make the Hampshire meet today so thought a trip to Kimmeridge off the bank on Saturday morning was in order. Forecast too windy for a boat trip:-(

Anyway got there at first light and headed West. Got to my mark and after fishing for 30 mins the swell became so big that it was too dangerous to fish :-o
Kimmeridge Sat 9 Oct.jpg

The above photo was taken 2 hours after high water when the tide had not receded at all due to the swell

So stood for 3 hours stood at the bottom of the cliff waiting for the tide to recede in no danger but it was very boring and managed to lose a brand new tide minnow 3rd cast.

Not a great session!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
So stood for 3 hours stood at the bottom of the cliff waiting for the tide to recede in no danger but it was very boring and managed to lose a brand new tide minnow 3rd cast.
I am not sure standing under any cliff around Kimmeridge is without danger Nick! You are obviously as much of a sucker for the voice of hope over the voice of reason as myself: I was going to fish an area not that far away from where you went in Dorset on Fri, but decided there was no chance of getting the zodiac out and little chance of clear water from the shore. Instead I went to N devon. I drove 290 miles in total, and trecked 2 hours over some of the hardest ground I have had the "pleasure" of yomping over. The weather caught me out and I was dripping with sweat in my waders and wading jacket. The surf, tide and powerful easterlies had stirred things up to such an extent I never even strung a rod up. I found a few marks I might try in years to come however.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Bad luck Nick,
Looking at the conditions - wise not to take the boat eh!
Was that wind coming East to west? If you were where I think you are, you would have been mullered.
Did you check out the rock slipway at the corner of the 'boulder beach?' (need to leave main car park and drive to one that says boats only).
You can tuck down out of the wind getting shelter from the slipway itself, and cast down much of the East side of the bay in relative peace. Not a lot of ground to cover, but enough to salvage a savage day.
Still nice to blow away the cobwebs though, I wish I'd been there regardless of conditions!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a go the other day, well two tries. The first ok with a fat 3lb bass on the last cast at 11.00am. Only out for an hour and not far from where I met you a few weeks ago Nick. Water perfect with just the right swell and clarity but the wrong time perhaps. It's an early beach most times.

The next go... Well east winds are not good for man or beast as they say and so it proved. I thought I was being clever with reasonable shelter but the huge swell coming up the Channel made this mark a non starter with tons of weed and murky water. This weekend looks better, though a tad chilly perhaps.

The aniseed vaseline ointment on worn/repaired X Layers is a great help I think. Thank you again the other Nick:-D

Nick.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick, I am going to do my last session for the year on Sunday. Will start just East of where we met - had a lot of success there on my last foray

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Hi Nick, this is my very first post. I have to admit I found a very nice looking tide minnow (SLD I think?) at Kimmeridge about 2 weeks ago, just east of Broad Bench. I'm not a plug fan, preferring wieghted red gills & picol eaus. I've still got the plug, I caught a few pollack with it a few weeks ago at Winspit. It casts like a bullet. What colour was your minow?

·
1,866 Posts
Hi Nick, this is my very first post. I have to admit I found a very nice looking tide minnow (SLD I think?) at Kimmeridge about 2 weeks ago, just east of Broad Bench. I'm not a plug fan, preferring wieghted red gills & picol eaus. I've still got the plug, I caught a few pollack with it a few weeks ago at Winspit. It casts like a bullet. What colour was your minow?
:rofl: ....................

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a mackerel version - Green Back with silver sides. Enjoy using it and when you catch your double remember me!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill,

PS Thinking of moving my boat to Poole next year due to the Olympics and the disruption. I note you are from Upton have you had much success off Poole and Swanage?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
cropped.JPG Nick I am pleased to say I haven't got your minow although I've just looked at your original photo and I was pretty close to where you took your photos of the waves when i found it. The minow is grey & red. I've caught loads of small bass in Poole Harbour (Hamworthy & Rockley) but tend to fish between Swanage & Worbarrow for better fish. Winspit, Chapmans Pool, Kimmeridge, Warbarrow, Swanage, Durlston are all good spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
PS you must have been absolutely mad to go where you did the day you took the photo given the conditions! I broke my right index finger clambering along the rocks to get to the ledge in the photo this summer when the tide was pushing in. I saved my rod when I fell though and only half bit off my tongue when I hit the rocks! I carried on fishing for 3 hours and went to Wimborne hospital the next day. They told me I had a flake fracture of the proximal flange. I think that meant my finger was bust.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
OH MY GOD. I have only just realised that your original post was just over a year ago. I think your tide minow must be well knackered if not broken down to molecules by now. I haven't got the hang of forums yet........what a chump i am!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PS you must have been absolutely mad to go where you did the day you took the photo given the conditions! I broke my right index finger clambering along the rocks to get to the ledge in the photo this summer when the tide was pushing in. I saved my rod when I fell though and only half bit off my tongue when I hit the rocks! I carried on fishing for 3 hours and went to Wimborne hospital the next day. They told me I had a flake fracture of the proximal flange. I think that meant my finger was bust.
For those that know me I am mad. It was an interesting session! I nearly said the plug is over a year old but thought better of it!

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Yea sorry for being such an idiot. Ive never been in a forum before today, don't do facebook, twitter, ebay etc & can only just about manage email. You fish there much? I go 3-4 times a week if I can. I fished kimmeridge Wednesday for 1.5 hours after work (I work at Wiinfrith) and had a smallish bass, less than 2lb. I'm heading that way Saturday & Sunday morning before it gets light. Best fish so far this year was a bit further west than where you took the photo, 8lb 2Oz but the water can get quite dirty the further round you go even in a slight chop so its not so good this time of year. Redgills beat plugs hands down in that part of the world IMO and they don't cost £21 when you loose one! Cheers for now, time for a pint of cider!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I fish about once a week between April and October. Have finished for the season now because it is the shooting season and not enough time to do both. Best fish this year 12lb 3oz on a small Azura plug a few miles west of where the photo was taken. Until next year .....,,,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great thread and Hi Bill from another Nick who fishes a bit further west most of the time. I too found a Tide Duo a few months ago earlier in the year. The hooks had gone but it was in pretty good condition. I usually use softies. Just got this email this morning and I must say I did wonder a bit...
Nick Anthonys 12lb bass would take some beating and I never got that far this year. Quite good at times though but loads of weed because of the storms. It must be a Nick thread because Nick Phillips is also browsing this as I write.
Nick

·
Sausage!
4,197 Posts
sometimes the weather just doesnt play matey,good for giving it a go but theres a fine line between being keen and a stuntman,no fish worth your life and there will always be another day

·
Registered
364 Posts
my last foray at kimmeridge i lost a crystal feed shallow + and a gold/ red sasuke..... all down to the darn wind there...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts