The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the sakura koa pack any good?

are there any "lengthways boxes" that will fit the pockets for longer lures?

Oh and does a 3600 box fit in the back?

I also assume the front packs dont get in the way too much when casting etc (?)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Can't help with the Koa itself Tom (at least a few on here do have them though), but I have just received a lifejacket type version from abroad. Very happy with the layout and look forward to using it. Have been getting increasingly paranoid about falling in, so it makes sense to me.

I don't think the chest pockets will get in the way with rods under a certain length and to be honest, I reckon it may even depend a bit on how big your belly is - so you'll probably be ok. Obviously the Japanese use similar things all the time.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't help with the Koa itself Tom (at least a few on here do have them though), but I have just received a lifejacket type version from abroad. Very happy with the layout and look forward to using it. Have been getting increasingly paranoid about falling in, so it makes sense to me.

I don't think the chest pockets will get in the way with rods under a certain length and to be honest, I reckon it may even depend a bit on how big your belly is - so you'll probably be ok. Obviously the Japanese use similar things all the time.
what did you buy Ben?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Mazume Redmoon III. Not cheap (although I got a very good deal). Would have preferred a black one but ended up with blue. They're pretty hard to get hold of. Really, really happy with it though. So many little fishing features on them. When you consider the price of just plain life jackets, these don't end up as expensive as they look.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mazume Redmoon III. Not cheap (although I got a very good deal). Would have preferred a black one but ended up with blue. They're pretty hard to get hold of. Really, really happy with it though. So many little fishing features on them. When you consider the price of just plain life jackets, these don't end up as expensive as they look.
wow thats a seriously nice bit of kit ! love the custom ocean grip holder they do

did you buy from japan (?) what was the total on it (if you dont mind me asking)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm actually a bit embarrased to say mate, but i'll pm you some details. Took me a long time to find anywhere that had them in stock. Seems they quickly sell out over there.

They're a lot but I still consider them to be worth it. Getting one was more of an experiment for me than anything, but caring about my own safety is getting more important as my fishing gets more extreme.

They are though, even better in the flesh. Waterproof zips, no metal fixings that can rust. I haven't used it in anger yet but I really think I've found my ideal item of fishing luggage - after struggling with various other uk options.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually a bit embarrased to say mate, but i'll pm you some details. Took me a long time to find anywhere that had them in stock. Seems they quickly sell out over there.

They're a lot but I still consider them to be worth it. Getting one was more of an experiment for me than anything, but caring about my own safety is getting more important as my fishing gets more extreme.

They are though, even better in the flesh. Waterproof zips, no metal fixings that can rust. I haven't used it in anger yet but I really think I've found my ideal item of fishing luggage - after struggling with various other uk options.
this sort of kit is great - would love something like that - thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ben,
Looks like a cracking bit of kit, I got a Koa Pack and tried it out fishing for the first time last weekend. Comfortable, stable (no bag swinging around your neck while you climb over the rock), it fact I was impressed. Yours however is massive step up. As others have said, given that it could save your life-who cares how much it is. I will be interested to hear your thoughts after you have a chance to try it out.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
How does the lfe jacket work Ben? Is it auto-inflate etc? Please could you describe it. Does the back pack have a crutch strap to stop the lot disappearing over you head?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Why ? I've just looked on a Japanese website and thought the pack looks the dogs. If it's gonna possibly save your life, how much is too expensive ? Is it bulky when on ? Mike
Nah, fair points guys.

After I got stung for VAT it actually came to a total of £183 :cry:

Like I say though, I really still consider this OK - looking at the fact that pretty much all lightweight 'plain' fishing life jackets can cost in excess of £100 - with no functionallity whatsoever.

This one though is light and easy to wear. Because it wraps you quite snuggly, it's extremely comfortable. I've obviously given it the jump and swing around test - in which case it stays where it is and should never really get in the way. The backpack part, although fairly small (but plenty big enough for lunch) is a brilliant design idea - being secured by velcro you can just reach behind you and swing it over your head - so no need to take it off or reach round. You do need fairly flexible arms though.

I can get a proper Sakura box in each side (the 145 is it? - smaller of the 2 double sided versions), or I can leave one empty for a selection of softies. It'll take longer boxes that aren't so bulky. I didn't use the foam 'hook board' in the Ultimate bag I have, but will do in this one. I can get half a dozen 145 - 200mm lures (just about) in there. Basically there's plenty of room for lures! And there are a couple of smaller pockets for odds and sods. Then there's the shoulder thing, but I'm not quite sure what to put in there yet. Maybe just a tape measure and bits like that.

When I ordered it I was actually under the impressioin that it used an auto inflating air canister sort of thing (because it looks so lightweight). It doesn't, it's actually a bouyant foam padding. Although I'm actually really happy about this as getting wet will be a bit easier and less of a faff.

May get out tomorrow and give it a go.

Can't even describe how impressed with it I am! Need to get a proper Boga now though to sit in the space provided for it! pliers sit on the side there nicely too. Such a well designed piece of kit! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
One thing I am going to do now is get a lighter jacket with NO big, bulky front pockets like my current wading jacket. I don't need them any more. Will save my current one for half hour missions with a couple of lures in my pockets.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
How does the lfe jacket work Ben? Is it auto-inflate etc? Please could you describe it. Does the back pack have a crutch strap to stop the lot disappearing over you head?
No mate. Just said actually, but DID think it was auto inflate. Its actually a lightweight foam version. You really wouldn't know you're wearinga lifejacket though.

I got the Redmoon III because its one of very few that don't have the under leg straps. The older versions do, as do most others by most manufacturers. This one was designed following the preference of, mostly western folk I think, who didn't like the under leg straps. I didn't want them either. It actually has a double layer of security when you do it up. Firstly there's an inner strap that goes as tightly as you want it around your waist. Then there is the zip and further toggle on the outside. It feels very secure. Can't see it going anywhere.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Would one of these japanese style life vest/ tackle vests support the weight of an under exercised, over endulgent portly verging on FB Jerseyman? Or would I just look like a gay fat SWAT team member?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I think that's what they call a rhetorical question ****.

And before you say it yes I do probably look like a gay thin SWAT team member in my Koa. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Definitely option 2! These things have limits I'm sure!! ;-):-D

NMah, I reckon they would. Will try and find some info on maximum weights. Fully expect it to be EVEN more than the average Jersey FB though.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Not sure what the rated surporting weight of any of the Japanese vest are, niot a figure I have ever found. But if I ended up falling off the rocks into the wet stuff, I think I would be grateful for any extra boyancy.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Definitely option 2! These things have limits I'm sure!! ;-):-D

NMah, I reckon they would. Will try and find some info on maximum weights. Fully expect it to be EVEN more than the average Jersey FB though.
I reckon one Jersey FB weighs 3x one scrawny Ichibum.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LOL.

Just been out and adjusted it to be as big as it goes. Bearing in mind that the fastening bit is mostly around your belly, the deciding factor will actually be how fat you are. It probably doesn't matter how much you weigh, because there is going to be a limit after which you can't actually fit in it!

Bearing in mind that I have a flat and toned stomach, 32 inch waist.... on its maximum setting there is a gap of about 3 inches all the way round the front part of my body. Which equates to about 6 inches of slack in total. Its not for the proper fatties out there, but most english/welsh/scottish/irish FB's would probably just about fit in. Not sure about the Jersey sort though?!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts