The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not a pharmaceuticals advert.

Real research and recent personal experience has led to make some conclusions.

So, I thought I'd share it here.

L-serine is an amino acid that can be leached through the skin.
It is more prevalent in Men and much less in women and kids.

I have, since getting trounced by Mr Paul B one sunny afternoon on the rockfish used a variety of scents and masks for ALL of my soft lure fishing.

Previously, I used smelly jellies rubbed into my hands to fish hard lures.

Ok, believe me, some scents are repugnant to Wrasse and Bass. Garlic is one where Wrasse are concerned. Tobacco, sun creams etc are no-no.

My experience.

I always found 'fresh xlayers' better.

I always catch more skishing (hands are wet and, I wear gloves).

After catching a Bass, I often quickly catch more, even from different locations if I haven't handled anything foreign.

I have found scented soft plastics are better than non scented.

Soft lures that have been submerged and washed whilst skishing often catch good fish whilst skishing but, take those same lures from the shore with dry skin hands and catch rates suffer until....I catch my first fish.

L-serine is REAL. Actual tests have shown Salmon in particular respond totally negatively to its presence even diluted 1 part per 8 billion.

Testing has taken part at very high level multi million $ Bass angling and....
Guess what...

Many, if not all of the winning anglers displayed very low L-serine levels by comparison to their competition.

Something to chew on....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Very interesting - so is there an easily available test for this amino acid? Sure I must have high levels....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I think you are on to something Keith. I used paste on a lure on Saturday and got it all over my hands and subsequently had some nice fish.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Interesting post Keith, so is there an L serine neutraliser out there?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are on to something Keith. I used paste on a lure on Saturday and got it all over my hands and subsequently had some nice fish.
Paul, Like anything, I don't think that 'just' using scent makes all the difference but, I think it 'does' sometimes make the difference between some fish committing or not. In fact, enough times that I will continue to believe it matters.

Interesting post Keith, so is there an L serine neutraliser out there?
Yes Mike.

Even something as simple as vanilla extract could work. Using plain soaps to wash too is said to help.
I've been using the Illex pastes and liquids along with the smelly jellies available from the US.

As Paul found earlier this year though, don't overdo it. A little goes a long way.

Even something as simple as rummaging through a fresh pack of xlayers could, potentially taint ALL of them in the packet but, initially, the strong scent of xlayers will go some way to mask your L-serine levels. By the time you get half way through a packet though ?.....

It's not un-common to catch Rockfish and Pollack with very fresh, just opened packets of soft lures.

For this reason, I've started to NOT put back undamaged lures into original packaging.
Handle lures as little as possible, wash hands in sea water, etc etc...

But, rub some neutral stuff onto your hands or, use a small amount of paste.
With xlayers it makes sense to use anise.

I really think it matters but of course, it's just a real deep gut feeling. I can't prove it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Agreed. It's a possibility that the paste is working on occasions just as much because it masks your sweaty mitts as being attractive to the fish in its own right......

·
Registered
437 Posts
Interesting! What about Squidgies S factor? It contains amino acids and attracts fish! Seems that different amino acids work in different ways.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Very interesting post Keith, which took me back to quite a few years ago when i was fishing the fly on rivers and lochs in Scotland for Trout and Salmon. One of the old timers always caught no matter what the weather or conditions. Over the years when fishing with him he would only use self tied flies and one day he told me that a very important part the tied fly was human hair BUT not any old hair, it had to be female hair from ermmm her intimate area !!!!!!!!. Now i didnt know then and still dont know now if it was a wind up or something he truly did.
He swore it was to do with the female pheronomes?. Which were an attractant to the fish.
I did however give it a try and must admit my catch rate did increase in comparison to what it was before but that could have been due to improving my fly fishing and presentation skills.
I did get some ***** looks and questions from the other half at the time when i requested some of her disposed hair :lol:.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I remember reading ages ago about an experiment at a salmon pass in Scotland. When the pass contained a number of salmon, a woman put her hand in the water at the top of the pass - no reaction from the salmon. When a man did the same thing, all the salmon exited the pass within a couple of minutes. I'm sure it was written up in a book. If I can remember the title I'll post it.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Since the midd 80s I have when Piking always (always) rubbed pilchard oil onto my hands before handling baits and I know loads of other Pikers that have been doing this for years,I does work.
I think the worst thing you can do before fishing it to fill the car up with petrol,if that stuff gets on your hands the 'taint' lasts for ages.
I would have to say that I have never done this for saltwater plugging but I do swill my hands in the salty stuff before I start etc.
Freshwater anglers have been doing things like the above for years and there is definatley something in it,,,,,big time.
Also "Female pheromones" there is something in this BIG TIME (NOT JOKING) .....................................

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
At least I'll always have an excuse for blanking now... Forgot to wash my hands.

·
Registered
144 Posts
L serine is a non essential amino acid so can be synthesized in the body rather than having to be obtained from food. Some people may produce more of the substance than others. It is interesting to learn that the research showed that successful anglers had low levels of serine compared to other anglers. Would this help explain the saying that, “10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish”? It has been my experience that the most successful anglers are those who work hard, think deeply about their fishing and pay great attention to detail. Then there are the anomalies – the guys who seem to do everything right but don’t catch the fish you’d expect them to catch. Could this be down to high levels of serine?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Okay Keith have always been convinced about scent from hands. I always wash my hands in sand and sea water when beach fishing...maybe I should wash them in lug juice in future.........It's either that or are we all going to have to have a sex change.......mmmmmmmmmm now there's a thought.............;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts