The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Paul, not too sure about Lanzarote, but there is a good deep water harbour in Fuerteventura that fishes well. I'm concious that it's only a short ferry journey from there to Playa Blanca, so maybe as good there? I've caught (what I think were) small dorado around 2lbs that really scrap well on light gear. The locals use 'gambas pelado' which is basically uncooked prawn. I'm playing with the idea of either Fuert or L'zote in November so would be interested to hear how you get on. Both harbours show 'no fishng' signs ..... but my experience (at Fuert) has been if you're out of the way, and look as though you know what you're doing, the harbour authority don't bother you. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Jetting off to the sun again Paul???? ...Need some one to carry all that fishing gear for you....:muttley:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Had some large Mullet in Aricife harbour,also hooked a sting ray that spooled my abu 7000,also had gars,ladyfish,white bream,giltheads,mullet, wrasse & a few unidentified species around Teguise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Paul,sorry if this is not in time for your trip but i have only just joined.....

Not Lanzarote, but have been fishing the southern coast of Gran Canaria several times a year for some time now and I believe the species and types of marks are pretty much the same. First thing you will probably notice is that the water is crystal clear and can be surprisingly deep very close in from both man made structure and rock marks.One mark I fish is around 40 to 50 feet deep within a cast of the same distance. Buy yourself a cheap snorkelling mask and check out some potential marks. I will guarantee you will be surprised by how much life you will see. If this is not for you look at what some of the spear-fishermen bring in.I have also found dive schools to be good sources of info and often have excellent photos of surounding potential marks.

Fishing as day breaks or as the sun sets is generally more productive but I have caught at all times of the day, particularly at the deeper marks. Spinning with toby and wedge type lures and sub surface lures has caught Yellowmouth Barracuda and the resident Lizardfish as well as some surprisingly good Garfish. On some days its pretty much a fish a cast although these are mostly Lizardfish and nothing much bigger than a pound. I have had 2 of these greedy fish on one wedge on several occasions!

Atlantic Bonito should be around and have a habit of turning up at harbours where there are working boats coming in from a days fishing. You will also see them patrolling along breakwaters towards last light or anywhere where there are sharp drop offs into deep water. They are truly awesome to watch as they hunt shoals of baitfish in groups of 5 or 6 with one fish darting into the shoal with the others picking off the fleeing prey. They are not that easy to catch like this though as they are moving so fast that they are often gone before your lure hits the water. I love them though and have caught them on an 18g silver and blue MoreSilda spoon cast over them as they rush in and retrieved fast as they rush out. The hit is superb and they fight well above their weight.Well worth the effort. Larger Barracuda often show around this time too, drawn by the fishing boats throwing their unwanted over the side.

In recent visits sinking lures and weighted soft plastics have been a bit of an eye opener for me. Last time I was there I fished a man made breakwater close to one of the busiest beaches on the island as the sun was just coming up. Fishing a 4 inch pink Maria worm on a small jig-head in about 25 feet of water I had a fish of around 6 pounds give me a superb fight with some real line stripping runs and mental head shaking antics. Dont know exactly what this fish was, looked like a Gilthead with silvery blue skin,not scales. Hooked another within 20 mins but this one threw the hook once it caught sight of me!

But my best catch was caught on a 31g Maria Duplex sinking lure.This lure really gets out there and sinks fast. Fishing it sink and draw style, with really hard pulls it gives a lot of vibration and managed to attract what i found out later to be a Dusky Grouper. The guy in the local tackle shop got quite excited about this and although only a small one I understand they go to a decent size and will really test your gear so this will be my target species next time I am there

Tackle used was Shimano Exage travel rod, Quantum Cabo 4000 spooled with .23 Power-Pro and flouro leader. If you fish near the sea -bed expect some tackle loss as it is very rocky in places and braid and volcanic rock do not go well together. I found lengthening my flouro leader to around 12foot helped to minimize losses. I will try to post some pictures when i get the hang of this forum lark!

Tight lines and have a great holiday

David

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi David, what a cracking piece of info you've supplied there. Printed and saved in my holiday file already. Like you, I've not been on here long, but it's that sort of info and helpfulness this forum thrives on, so on behalf of those I know, and those I don't ...... a big thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Paul
I'm going to Lanzarote next week, didnt see the promised follow up post -was it cr4p for you, then?
We go a lot and I've caught plenty of bream-like fish off rock marks in the North and off Famara beach, to uncooked prawn or squid. btw does any know what species this would be they're bream, but with perch like vertical black stripes and a pronounced black spot at the wrist of the tail?

I have plugged one visit and caught in Caleta de Famara harbour some grouper/wrasse looking things sort of brown with cream coloured spots.

I'm taking lures only this time paying special attention to weighted plastics. Not sure about surface lures, but will take a selection of the usual bass types. Any one out there with any further knowledge pls?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts