The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys can anyone recommend a box to carry large plugs in up to 175mm? I cant find anything that will fit into my Sakura pockets. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Mike - if you could put up with having single boxes for individual lures you might want to consider the storage boxes that B.A.S.S. sell. Contributing money to a good cause as well as getting something to store your lures in

http://ukbass.com/2008/09/bass-lure-storage-system_11.html

For me (everyone's got their own preference for storing lures whilst fishing) it makes a lot more sense to have your lures in separate boxes rather than all in one box. That way if you drop a box & the lure falls out, you're only losing one lure, not potentially all of them. At £20 a pop dropping a box could be expensive

Cheers

Toby

·
Registered
42 Posts
not sure if this size suits sakura, but the plano 3601 (280x180x30) is a bargain at a fiver from decathlon! Configures well for smaller plugs, but would only take 4 @ 175mm as divides the opposite way to what would be even more useful!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I have a Sakura Koa and I just put hook bonnets on my lures and put them directly into the two front pouches, (not the very front fold down compartment but the other two pockets, if you follow). I find you can get a lot of items and not just lures in the front pockets that way, whereas lure boxes take up a lot of space. This in turn frees up a substantial amount of space in the pack overall. For example although (unlike the larger Sakura backpack) the Koa does not have a specific compartment for a hydration bladder, I can now fit a small 1.5 litre Camebalk hydration bladder in the main rear compartment. I secure the drinking tube with one of the Velcro rod holders located on the shoulder straps.

This may not suit everyone especially those who wish to travel ultra light, and I suppose there is also in theory a chance your lures might be less well protected than those placed in an individual compartmented tackle box. Regardless I find that it is great if you are on a long day session with no car or other base to return to. You can carry a day’s food or a light jacket etc. with you and avoid having to carry a full-size rucksack or extra bag.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I use hook bonnets on the larger plugs as well,and just put them in a pocket in my waist pack etc.
Trouble is my hook bonnets are old and well used so they do sometimes come off,,,,,Disasterly.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Hi Nick,

You may already be aware of this, but you can now buy different size hook bonnets that will fit the smaller hooks (size 4,5 or 6), in other words the hooks that come fitted on the majority of minnow type plugs. I use the Owner ones, the green coloured ones are the smallest, purple medium and yellow for the largest hooks (like for example those fitted on the large Yozuri mag popper).

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi Nick,

You may already be aware of this, but you can now buy different size hook bonnets that will fit the smaller hooks (size 4,5 or 6), in other words the hooks that come fitted on the majority of minnow type plugs. I use the Owner ones, the green coloured ones are the smallest, purple medium and yellow for the largest hooks (like for example those fitted on the large Yozuri mag popper).
Cheers Walter,
I have them in 3 sizes right down to very small for ultralite plugs etc.
Got mine from Harris Angling in the 90s,they do go a bit loose after a bit though.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mike - if you could put up with having single boxes for individual lures you might want to consider the storage boxes that B.A.S.S. sell. Contributing money to a good cause as well as getting something to store your lures in

http://ukbass.com/2008/09/bass-lure-storage-system_11.html

For me (everyone's got their own preference for storing lures whilst fishing) it makes a lot more sense to have your lures in separate boxes rather than all in one box. That way if you drop a box & the lure falls out, you're only losing one lure, not potentially all of them. At £20 a pop dropping a box could be expensive

Cheers

Toby
Is anyone on this site anything to to do UKBass ??? I've sent a number of e-mails over the space of a couple of weeks to various personnel listed on their contacts page about buying some of these storage boxes but have not had a reply from anyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts