The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had arranged to meet with Keith last night and fish a few rock marks. - small tides 14low - 24high

Met up near the chosen spot but the wind and weather report did not match up so change of plan and decided to hit a beach that would be in a better wind position and to spend more time working with a SP weedless/weightless presentation that I was shown on first session.

The difference being tonight I would be totally weightless on this beach as time before I had used a small weighted weedless offset jig on - but have used weightless in the gutters sessions

We worked our way down the beach, Keith hitting into a cple of nice pollock early on showed signs that it could show some fish - then Keith hit and landed a nice silver of a few pounds.

I was using 4" xlayers and decided to change to a larger one still weightless - these are rigged on a pegged straight shank J hook!

carried on wading down shoreline and had a nice bite followed by fish on then off just as quick , felt like a nice fish a alerted me that this does work - we continued to work down the beach and both had a cple more bites then it went quiet - decided that the tide was over and past the best ground and headed of back to car for mark 2.

headed out over the reef at 2nd mark and found a nice bit of current at the half tide push, using the same set up as before started to work the current , casting up and letting drift down followed by a VERY slow constant retrieve.

Keith was first into a into a bass but I was futher down and dark so did not see size , few cast and a few knocks gave confidence that fish where here - was letting my lure bounce/drift through current and just started slow retrieve when it went light then bump - fish on , as was in current it felt like nice fish and was giving a good account for itself - soon landed nice fish of a cple of pounds.

Was a good result for me and a confidence boost on technique - Bass in the dark in current - can it be beaten?

we continued to move around the reef we where on Keith had another of a few pounds over on next head from me.

we headed over towards another bar, as we where wading across a filling gulley in about 2 ft of water I looked down and there was a bass of about 4lbs at my feet, it did not get spoooked by me and just swam off very slowly - I called to Keith to have a look at it - I think more to confrm to myself that I was not seeing things as have not seen a bass so close/shallow before.

It was early hours now so we decided to call it a night - ok so only one fish landed by me , but some great ground covered, technique worked on, a few more fish to keith, confidence boosted etc etc - a great night!

A fair few things are clicking into place for me and as the Milky Bar Kid put it to me in a PM the other day "lightbulb moments".

I am right handed and have always fished with my rod in my left and wind the reel with my right but casted with my right , I was always under the impression that others where cack handed , but I could see that having to change hands following the cast was not the best

I got myself a new rod last week (shimano dropshot 7ft - lovely rod) and decided on the first time I used it to swop the handle on reel over to the left and to re-learn to cast and hold rod with my right and wind with my left - it has taken a bit of getting used too as am undoing 30yrs of doing it the other way - but simple as I will not be swapping back, if you are like me, try the change - it just feels right and everything is under much more control!

I used to go out and chuck lures at the sea and wind back with a twitch here and there and hope for a fish, now the cogs are turning and great matter is being revitalised - one of these fish is worth ten of the fish I was not catching before :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great report - good when a forced change of plans is fruitful, even if it was only one fish :)

Interesting what you say about switching hands - I swap hands after casting. I have tried swapping but it didn't feel right so swapped back after a couple of casts. Maybe I should try again and persevere. At least I don't have the 30 years to overcome (through not fishing, certainly old enough to have been at it that long!)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice one Dave......Good teachers aren't they.....glad to see it's paying off for you mate...:-D:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
- Bass in the dark in current - can it be beaten?
Good report mate. In answer to your question.... NO! Every fish in current feels like a good fish eh! Buzzing!! I love swinging sps and bouncing off the bottom and feeling that pull(bump) and bang your in.... love it!!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Good report mate. In answer to your question.... NO! Every fish in current feels like a good fish eh! Buzzing!! I love swinging sps and bouncing off the bottom and feeling that pull(bump) and bang your in.... love it!!!

I'll second that Ritchie..... Just a fantastic feeling...........:-D:-D

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I love weedless and weightless. Started doing it last November and bagged up with weighers for the club leaving me to finish in 2nd, best then was 5-3-8, my weightless weedless PB is now 5-11, same mark, different lure.

Seems to be an art to it and IMO you need a fairly good flow (or movement) or water to feed the lure out/through and ideally a mark where you find grasdos (roselet, smelt), small pollack are not good enough, seems to need the presence of the grasdos for it to work well??? Sure others have done it different but we all develop in our own ways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great post Dave. Fantastic fishing.

As the song goes..."I am what I am"....Very left handed lol.

Until very recently I'd never given this a moments thought but one Keith had got me thinking, a quick swap of the reel handle and suddenly everything just sort sort of "clicks".

I'll be putting this into practice this week so hopefully this should start to really get me nailing the lrf basics and moving more quickly up the learning curve.

Many more lightbulb moments ahead of me, I'm sure ;)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Really pleased that you appreciating the finer points of current fishing Ritchie and that 'slip' technique is a great one. Callum needs to show you on the run where I showed him as there could be some bigger girls home there very soon.

Many more lightbulb moments ahead of me, I'm sure ;)
Oh yes.

btw: I've added info to my blog reference the technique Dave and I used last night.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking report Dave . .. really descriptive & interesting :D. Nothing like the satisfying feeling of self-progression :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts