The Lure Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I'm running a double before my leader I use an Albright
If I'm running mainline straight throgh to the leader I user the slim beauty (tied properly with a doubled mainline)

both are strong and slim if tied properly
but I find with a single strand of braid the turn of the leader material can slip

used to use uni to uni as well but found it can wear after a few hours and needs retieing whereas the albright or slim beauty last a whole trip/session

Just my 2 cents :)

Nick

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
How tight do you trim the slim beauty Nick? Assuming very tight? I was using it the other day for the first time and although I'm pretty sure I made a good job of tying it, it caught a fair amount of weed. Don't think I did it quite tight enough - just didn't wanna risk tying it too loosly or wrongly on its first outing. Strong not though!

·
Registered
297 Posts
How tight do you trim the slim beauty Nick? Assuming very tight? I was using it the other day for the first time and although I'm pretty sure I made a good job of tying it, it caught a fair amount of weed. Don't think I did it quite tight enough - just didn't wanna risk tying it too loosly or wrongly on its first outing. Strong not though!
TIGHT

leave the tags long intially
and pull them tight with pliers
cut the mono/fluoro tag end nearly flush
tie a simple overhand/granny knot in the braid tag and get it as close to the knot as possible then cut above it
the granny/overhand stops the braid fraying

There's a great vid demo on midcurrent: LINK

I tie mine at home the night before to make sure they're good :)

Nick

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one. Will give it another go trimmed more tightly. I have confidence in its strength now so will start hacking it back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
TIGHT

leave the tags long intially
and pull them tight with pliers
cut the mono/fluoro tag end nearly flush
tie a simple overhand/granny knot in the braid tag and get it as close to the knot as possible then cut above it
the granny/overhand stops the braid fraying

There's a great vid demo on midcurrent: LINK

I tie mine at home the night before to make sure they're good :)

Nick
Thanks for the link Nick

Been fannying on for a while now trying to get a good knot for the leader. Had a few goes with this 'slim beauty' knot and have to say its probably the best one yet. Easy to tie up and its bloody strong (tested it to destruction and it took some snapping)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Slim beauty is really good.

I use a second loop to pull the doubled braid back through the leader loop before snugging it down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
slimbeauty knot

beach anglers for years have used the same knot only with a single strand instead of a double strand if you want the knot in the thinner line to taper put 10 turns round the leader and 6 back down.the knot will taper when closed trim really tight it never opens and coat with hard as nials nail varnish.have done this for last 15 yrs never had one open.make sure your leader knot is pulled tight with a pliers.

·
Registered
297 Posts
One other trick with the SB is using a double over hand knot rather than a single
its spreads the load over a onger area, forms a figure eight with larger loops (easier to put the braid through )
and still tightens down neat and small

nick

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I use a uni-uni, and double the braid, I didnt know about it wearing after a few hours, thanks for that. Keith I have never heard of or seen this slim knot, can you show me sometime in the shop.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Been using the double Uni a long time and I have never seen it wear? Are you casting it through the rings of the rod?

BTW, would also like to see some slim beauties in your shop ****!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts