The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What sort of leader lengths have you guys been playing around with?

've stuck to less than a metre so far, but read lots about the Aussie guys using 1 rod length or more - which is actually especially useful if you're tying and retying line direct to your lures (no clip). It just needs 5 seconds of experimenting, but the only thing I worry about on the proper LRF rods is the PE guides and the leader knot getting jammed?!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I use about 8ft as you say handy if you do not use clips. I will never trust clips so tie approx 8ft leader and then change it once it gets down to about 3ft.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
For HRF, I intend on using around 6-7ft, purely to protect the braid. For LRF, I have been tying on lures more, so have been starting about 3ft and changing when down to 18 inches.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that for bass Alan, or lighter stuff? or both? Think I might start playing with the longer leaders tbh. I've always got on 100% fine with clips so haven't yet worried about using short leaders and having to replace them. I hate stopping to change leaders, thats the main problem.

What breaking strains (or diameters) have you been using (LRF?). I'm only down on 8lb so far but will sort out some 4lb soon.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Always used longer leaders to he honest.
I reckon with HRF, you need a good 2 meters of leader to protect from boulders and sharp granite when using braid as a mainline.

LRF: Well, again, I like a longer leader and the knot is generally small anyway and doesn't bother a tub tip rod. Solid tips, well, we need to re-think as even the small knots can get arrested whilst casting.

I'm leaning toward a 2.5lb class outfit right now with FC as the mainline. That might require a leader whereas 5lb is pretty safe.
I have 3 X Solid Tipped rods now so 1 running 2.5lb won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I think you'll be fine with 2.5lb.

FC mainline will obviously help in the longrun. I need some better FC mainline actually as the 4lb P-Line I have is not latest generation so is still a tad bulky diameter wise, in comparison.

Solid tips are tricky aren't they. My leader knot has caught up a few times, hence me asking. A lot of the Aussie guys reckon that a longer leader will enable the cast to build enough speed by the time the leader knot reaches the tip rings to enable it to travel through without catching. I'm not 100% convinced at the mo, looking at my tips. Although to be fair, they're probably fishing more modern lines.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes Ben, solid's though offer so much in OTD light head detection that they are worth the hassle imho.
Time to learn a new generation of knots I think.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have never had any trouble with leader knots on my light rods (LRF) before as the leader is never more than 18in and therefore the knot has always been outside the tip ring. I will experiment more this year with different length leaders and see what happens. Maybe the newer style of more and smaller rings is partly responsible for the problem? Although fewer bigger rings probably weighs more and is likely to have a similar effect?
I have used fly clips (I think that is the name) for UL lures in the past without any problems, has anybody else tried them for LRF lures?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Ben, solid's though offer so much in OTD light head detection that they are worth the hassle imho.
Time to learn a new generation of knots I think.
Yeah coarse. Not knocking solid stips one bit. Much prefer mine over the solid.

What are these weird and wonderful fly clips you speak of Mike?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I'l bet those fly clips would be great for LRF I have used them before with my ultralite fishing on Troot with tiny plugs etc.
Because the rods are so soft you wont break them as long as you get the right size.
Sportfish do them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts